Singapore Expats

"Cleaned" City

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: "Cleaned" City

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:33 am

Does your wife also share this opinion ? Or you think your perspective is your wife's perspective too.

I feel that at least in India, women who do not work have to live on their husband's terms. And quite often, husbands dont get them . They may not have purchasing or decision making power. Now this is yet another kind of unhappiness.

There is unhappiness in job but then there is unhappiness is having no career, accomplishment or money of your own. And women, particularly, PR/Citizens do not have to work 8 hrs a day to do something meaningful with their life.

I actually feel sorry for women who are made to believe that cooking and taking care of family all their life is all that they can and should do.
Wd40 wrote:I think the "both parents working" is more of bane than a boon. I think its a privilege to be a stay at home mom and get to spend more time with kids rather than work for an a$$hole and take all the $hit in office. If only one member of the family works in majority of the families then the whole economy adjusts such that salary for 1 person is sufficient to run the family. But now what we have in Singapore with both members working, is salaries have got depressed and now the economy has got adjusted, especially house prices, such that both members have to work to bring in enough income to sustain the increased cost of living.

Larry Summers made this excellent analogy which perfectly fits this scenario:
“It’s like standing up in an audience,” said Summers. “If you do it, you can see better. But if everyone does it at the same time, no one is better off.”
http://fortune.com/2015/01/22/larry-sum ... -qe-davos/

If the woman is career minded then its okay to work, but when I see the expression of faces in day to day life, I dont really see them as too much happy. Poor SG'reans trapped in their false sense of prosperity.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 1:15 am

My wife used to work in IT before we had our child. Her attitude towards that job was like, "don't give me shit, I don't need to do this job, my husband is earning well and its not like I have to do this job" That's exactly what she told her manager. She was very keen to quit and raise our child. Now, she keeps telling every now and then that she would like to work, but she can't take the pressure of 9 to 6 job and would like to do something like part time.

My take on this is that not everyone is career minded. Men or women, would just love to sit at home and laze away, if they don't need to work.

I was trying to make an economic point of how Singapore has become so dependent on double income instead of single income, and not really a gender related point.

I get your point though, about women should be given the same opportunities as men. But trust me, I have seen plenty of Indian women who insist that they wont work and will stay at home. They think that admin related jobs are below their dignity especially when their husbands are fat cats. They would rather stay at home and boss over their maids.

x9200

Re:

Post by x9200 » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 9:13 am

Wd40 wrote:I would be more than happy to be a stay at home dad. I would say women have the privilege to be a stay at home mom and take of their child. Children too are much more attached to their mom, especially at very young age. My daughter will not miss me so much if I am not at home but if my wife isn't at home, all hell breaks loose.
Sorry WD40, perhaps you are truly unique (quadruple truly unique as of the deeply patriarchal Indian cultures) or you just assumed you will have a FDW or two or four, or your parents or in-laws at your side? For how long you, personally and without any external help ran the everyday chores? Washing, cleaning, changing diapers, almost round the clock because this job does not stop after 8h as it is in the office. Do you really know how is to handle all of those and take care of the children at the same time?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 9:27 am

on the subject of cleaning, and even the Kallang river gets a daily clean, in Singapore .. !!!

:D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 9:35 am

Wd40 wrote:I think the "both parents working" is more of bane than a boon. I think its a privilege to be a stay at home mom and get to spend more time with kids rather than work for an a$$hole and take all the $hit in office. If only one member of the family works in majority of the families then the whole economy adjusts such that salary for 1 person is sufficient to run the family. But now what we have in Singapore with both members working, is salaries have got depressed and now the economy has got adjusted, especially house prices, such that both members have to work to bring in enough income to sustain the increased cost of living.
how does both parents working depress salaries ?

I am a bit lost there .. care to explain ??

and for the notion that women should be home, in case it was not lost in translation .. that's very ...... never mind :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 10:24 am

ecureilx wrote:

and for the notion that women should be home, in case it was not lost in translation .. that's very ...... never mind :)
Misogynistic.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 2:01 pm

nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Misogynistic.
Working moms are better for children.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/children- ... 2uktv.html

From my friends stories, stay-at-home moms are super stressful with all the chores AND they are NOT appreciated by their husbands. Overtime, the husbands tend see them as dumb and boring...

nakatago

Re:

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 4:21 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Misogynistic.
Working moms are better for children.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/children- ... 2uktv.html

From my friends stories, stay-at-home moms are super stressful with all the chores AND they are NOT appreciated by their husbands. Overtime, the husbands tend see them as dumb and boring...
Well, some cultures like women dependent, domestic, compliant and submissive.Image
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Re:

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 4:54 pm

I am not saying women should be given same opportunities.

My point was women should realize themselves that doing something on their own is good for their own self-esteem, pride and self-confidence. And if they dont realize this, then there is something wrong. And we all know how empowered women are back in India. The desire to be independent should be there is all individuals.

Why does a sit-home mom need a maid is beyond me, that too when you are paying a hefty sum unlike in India, where you pay a meager amount. It seems they just want to replicate their mothers. What they dont see if that most of their mothers bitch about their dads and have no say in 90% of the household matters.

Wd40 wrote:My wife used to work in IT before we had our child. Her attitude towards that job was like, "don't give me shit, I don't need to do this job, my husband is earning well and its not like I have to do this job" That's exactly what she told her manager. She was very keen to quit and raise our child. Now, she keeps telling every now and then that she would like to work, but she can't take the pressure of 9 to 6 job and would like to do something like part time.

My take on this is that not everyone is career minded. Men or women, would just love to sit at home and laze away, if they don't need to work.

I was trying to make an economic point of how Singapore has become so dependent on double income instead of single income, and not really a gender related point.

I get your point though, about women should be given the same opportunities as men. But trust me, I have seen plenty of Indian women who insist that they wont work and will stay at home. They think that admin related jobs are below their dignity especially when their husbands are fat cats. They would rather stay at home and boss over their maids.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Feb 2015 5:14 pm

midlet2013 wrote:. What they dont see if that most of their mothers bitch about their dads ....
Don't forget the DiL ...Image