Singapore Expats Forum

Media Posts

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
hweets
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 6:57 pm

Media Posts

Post by hweets » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 7:03 pm

My partner is being relocated to Singapore but because we aren't married I cannot come on a Dependent Visa.

I work in television in UK and have 3+ years experience of Media and Television Production - an area I am keen to stay in. Are there lots of media companies in Singapore?
Do you think it will be possible to get an Employment Visa for a media role? Does anyone have any experience of this?

I would love some advice if anyone has any. Thanks!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Media Posts

Post by JR8 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:17 pm

hweets wrote:My partner is being relocated to Singapore but because we aren't married I cannot come on a Dependent Visa.
I work in television in UK and have 3+ years experience of Media and Television Production - an area I am keen to stay in. Are there lots of media companies in Singapore?
Do you think it will be possible to get an Employment Visa for a media role? Does anyone have any experience of this?
I would love some advice if anyone has any. Thanks!
If you can persuasively evidence that you are in a de facto Common Law Marriage, then this might be an avenue... http://beta.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... visit-pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've not read through these new/revised rules, so can't be sure, but there's a chance there you might be eligible to apply for an LTVP, and if granted, then convert it into an LTVP+, the '+' being primarily a right to seek and gain employment.

Evidencing a 'de facto' marriage has been discussed many times over the years, so just use the forum search box (top right) to unearth it...


Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Angelus
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 2:29 am

Re: Media Posts

Post by Angelus » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 3:36 pm

JR8 wrote:
hweets wrote:My partner is being relocated to Singapore but because we aren't married I cannot come on a Dependent Visa.
I work in television in UK and have 3+ years experience of Media and Television Production - an area I am keen to stay in. Are there lots of media companies in Singapore?
Do you think it will be possible to get an Employment Visa for a media role? Does anyone have any experience of this?
I would love some advice if anyone has any. Thanks!
If you can persuasively evidence that you are in a de facto Common Law Marriage, then this might be an avenue... http://beta.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... visit-pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've not read through these new/revised rules, so can't be sure, but there's a chance there you might be eligible to apply for an LTVP, and if granted, then convert it into an LTVP+, the '+' being primarily a right to seek and gain employment.

Evidencing a 'de facto' marriage has been discussed many times over the years, so just use the forum search box (top right) to unearth it...

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Both LTVP and LTVP+ foreign spouses can now obtain a Letter of Consent from MOM: http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... e_FAQs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am unsure though what the difference is with these new rules introduced on 1 feb 2015 between a Dependant's Pass and an LTVP for a spouse:

http://beta.mom.gov.sg/en/passes-and-pe ... /key-facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://beta.mom.gov.sg/en/passes-and-pe ... /key-facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hweets
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 6:57 pm

Re: Media Posts

Post by hweets » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks for the replies.

My partner is British too and not a Singapore Citizen - does that make a difference for the LVTP visa?

Thanks! H

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Media Posts

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 9:02 pm

The LTVP+ is only for spouses of Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents. As your partner is neither, you would only be able to work on a Letter of Consent IF you are able to get a Dependent's Pass. If you cannot get that, but are somehow able to get an LTVP (I don't know how though) you still would not be able to work unless you found a job and qualified for an EP or S pass on your own, not tied to your partner. The other alternative has already been broached - get married before you come here.

Angelus
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 2:29 am

Re: Media Posts

Post by Angelus » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 2:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The LTVP+ is only for spouses of Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents. As your partner is neither, you would only be able to work on a Letter of Consent IF you are able to get a Dependent's Pass. If you cannot get that, but are somehow able to get an LTVP (I don't know how though) you still would not be able to work unless you found a job and qualified for an EP or S pass on your own, not tied to your partner. The other alternative has already been broached - get married before you come here.
Hmm then that does indeed seem to be the difference between an LTVP and a Dependant's Pass. Spouses of people on S Passes or EP's can now apply for an LTVP but you do still need to convert to a work permit once you have found a job. But on a Dependent's Pass you can get a Letter of Consent if your partner is on an EP, so you don't need to convert your visa.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Media Posts

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 3:38 pm

Actually, it's easier here than in most countries. Most won't give the trailing spouse the time of day, let alone the ability to actually take a position. But in all cases, we are assuming that we are talking about EP holders vrs PR & Citizens. S passes and WP are a different kettle of fish. All LTVPs & DPs are based on there having been either a legal or recognized (documented) relationship prior to arriving in Singapore.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests