Singapore Expats

PR approved, but I don't need it anymore WTF!!!???

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: PR approved, but I don't need it anymore WTF!!!???

Post by x9200 » Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:21 am

Sergei82 wrote:X9200, that kind of knowledge does not prevent anything for sure, but it does help tremendously to recover psychologically and realize what was going on after the blow (hopefully, just a blow like mine, not years of wallowing in pain and suffer).
With this I have no problem to agree but I think you should also understand that you (yourself, and JR8) are highly educated (I'm not talking about a formal education) and self-aware people. Majority is not, so TBH, I think for this average majority that unfortunately had to go through such experience more helpful would be a support group with a psychologist or an experienced moderator or a marriage specializing psychologist alone (and no, I am not associated with any of such group professionally).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Feb 2015 1:27 pm

Regrettably I haven't the time required to continue the discussion in the nuanced level of detail it seems to have evolved into. I begun by suggesting some broad ideas that I thought would be of interest to Sergei, and perhaps also to a broader audience. As it is it feels like any form of answer follows on to further uncertainty and hence questions.

Perhaps any outstanding issues/[natural and entirely expected '''challenges''' in the ongoing discussion] could be condensed? Not necessarily to bullet points, but that direction would certainly make it far simpler for me to give an opinion.

This is meant as a 101% constructive suggestion. Hope you understand :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 16 Feb 2015 3:07 pm

Sergei, my friend, do no get disheartened by one failed marriage. It will probably make you a little wiser (did it?) . We all learn at different pace and some of us just some practice before we get it right.
Last edited by earthfriendly on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Feb 2015 7:40 pm

I realized Sergei that you might have some misconceptions re divorce/court/payments etc.

1. You do not have to do ANYTHING (pay, help, talk to her or whatever) without a court order in Singapore. This mean your ex's demands for $$ compensation can be safely ignored. It's really important you understand this - it means her lawyer, a policeman, a Muslim Imam etc have NO legal authority to tell or order you as to what you should do (of course unless you have committed a criminal act in the case of the police), only the magistrate or Syariah judge has that authority in Singapore.

2. Vice Versa she can ignore your claims until heard by a court.

3. You should immediately begin disentangling and shutting down your ex's access to accounts, passwords - while married in Singapore there is a sort of a defacto assumption that a spouse can incurr debts on behalf of the other. She will try to apply for Credit Cards in her name (supplementary), withdraw money using forged cheques etc. Minimize what she can get to quickly.

4. You don't need to rush to divorce - but as your leaving Singapore and will lose residency here soon I would. It's very, very complicated to get divorced from someone if you don't share the same residency (i.e. live in the same country). Even if you set it up now and have to come back to do the final hearing I would.

5. As your wife is Muslim - if she has deserted the house you MUST make a police report stating she has gone missing without permission and note the date she left, that she left without your permission and is untraceable. Because Muslim women are the property of their husband in Singapore - this prime evidence of her unfaithfulness and good grounds for a very fair divorce. You have to do this at the police - a letter from a witness is not enough. See if you can explain it to a Malay guy at the NPP - he'll understand better than some Chinese dude.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 17 Feb 2015 1:56 pm

Btw, this PR in-principle approval which is valid for 2 months - does it grant some stay in Singapore on its own during those 2 months?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Feb 2015 2:06 pm

Read the letter, if it doesn't say explicitly, then it doesn't.

Since you applied under PTS,the in principle approval assumes that you are employed currently. If you are not, it probably isn't even valid anymore. You will have to tell ICA about your situation and they will, at best, give you some time like 2 months to look for a job in SG and your new employer should be willing to complete the formalities.

If I were you, with no country to go back to, I would try to look for a job in Singapore and make sure I take that PR. See if you can ask CS to let you join from Singapore location and then later transfer to HK location

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 Feb 2015 5:43 pm

Wd40 wrote:Read the letter, if it doesn't say explicitly, then it doesn't.
PR approval don't include pernission to stay till you get the REP

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 3:17 pm

x9200 wrote:Yep Sergei, we should have a gathering. First week of March may be a good idea.
Is this confirmed? I have few engagements coming up and I need to plan ahead - soon.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 3:26 pm

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Yep Sergei, we should have a gathering. First week of March may be a good idea.
Is this confirmed? I have few engagements coming up and I need to plan ahead - soon.
I am most likely out of the country all week commencing 9th March so the first week would be good for me. Do we need to start another Eagles gathering thread?

Oh, and can we please choose a venue where it's relatively easy to find each other this time [-o< :wink:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 4:13 pm

I think this thread got a passing reference by one of our colleagues on one of the local websites for local people :o

Some chap alluded to "even people from Ukraine" are still getting PR or words to that effect , and made some comment about the current state of Ukraine.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 4:46 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
I am most likely out of the country all week commencing 9th March so the first week would be good for me. Do we need to start another Eagles gathering thread?

Oh, and can we please choose a venue where it's relatively easy to find each other this time [-o< :wink:
Done! :cool:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 6&t=105630
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 24 Feb 2015 9:46 pm

Barnsley wrote:I think this thread got a passing reference by one of our colleagues on one of the local websites for local people :o

Some chap alluded to "even people from Ukraine" are still getting PR or words to that effect , and made some comment about the current state of Ukraine.
Ah .. some brilliant folks can find needles in Haystacks .. !!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 5:30 pm

I may disappoint you people. Since there is no way for me to find a local sponsor to extend my STVP (not going out to meet people for a year already), I'm forced to be out of Singapore from March 4 until March 9. After that I'm just finishing packing on tourist visa and out of Singapore shortly.

To Barnsley, can you allude to that chap to kiss my ass, please?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:37 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I may disappoint you people. Since there is no way for me to find a local sponsor to extend my STVP (not going out to meet people for a year already), I'm forced to be out of Singapore from March 4 until March 9. After that I'm just finishing packing on tourist visa and out of Singapore shortly..
are you trying to extend online or visit to ICA ?

My work place is near ICA, PM me, if you wanna try !

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 27 Feb 2015 8:15 pm

Does anyone know which of the Hong Kong expat forums is most active at the moment? Need to ask them some questions which are hard to google out...