Singapore Expats

PR approved, but I don't need it anymore WTF!!!???

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

PR approved, but I don't need it anymore WTF!!!???

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 4:53 pm

Hi everybody. Long time no see. Last year was very rich on events for me: 1) war in my homeland which totally isolated and broke my parents and most likely made me not able to visit my city in Ukraine till the rest of my life, 2) some job insecurity which ended in my termination in SCB by the end of the year (they moved a lot of people to Tianjin in China), 3) marriage itself and a huge blow-up with it which ended up with pre-divorce situation now (and it is not negotiable anymore, the only way in my situation is divorce with no other options).

So here I am, exhausted, got new permanent position in Hong Kong with my old Credit Suisse and some guys I used to work with before. Singapore is psychologically extremely depressing for me now and I can't wait to leave it and start afresh (only me and my cat :) ). Don't think I don't like Singapore - it's been over 5 great years of my life, it is just me who will be having huge difficulties restarting personal life in here after some miserably failed marriage.

So I am sitting and waiting for the HK visa process to complete some time in March and to move away some time in the end of March. I need to extend my short term visit pass till the end of March, which whouldn't be a problem - I'm still formally married with a Singaporean.

Suddenly I recall that there is application for PR (I checked last time a month ago). So I'm taking a look at my status and suddenly see........... APPROVED. WTH???????????!!!????

That is STUPID! What in the hell would I do with it now?

How much time am I given to get the PR status from now? (I haven't received mail yet)
Am I on short term visit pass still??? Or I can stay for next 1.5 with PR approved legally?
Should I refuse outright or I should take it? Can I take it at all in my situation?
Is it possible to take it now, and then come back after a few years? If I do it, should I pay SGrean CPF and taxes while still in HK?

Why the whole situation is so damn retarded???

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: PR approved, but I don't need it anymore WTF!!!???

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:28 pm

Long time no see fella ......

Sorry about Ukraine , it looks to be getting a lot worse.

Did you apply for PR under PTS or Family ties?

If its Family Ties and you get divorced , I am not sure but I think you have it cancelled or revoked as you no longer have any ties so to speak.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:32 pm

I applied for PR long before I got married. But I did update my marital status with them after the marriage happened. I'm not sure whether they converted it to under family ties or no, but for sure I applied for it on my own.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:34 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I applied for PR long before I got married. But I did update my marital status with them after the marriage happened. I'm not sure whether they converted it to under family ties or no, but for sure I applied for it on my own.
If its PTS then its good for 5 yrs until up for renewal.

Although if you lost your job before the actual approval I believe that that is a cause for concern.

There was a guy who that happened to on here and I am sure he was unable to take up the PR as he no longer had a job before his approval came through.

Have you anything to lose by conributing to your CPF?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:37 pm

So I take it and keep it or how? Is it possible? Till end of March...

If I change my mind ever returning to Singapore, can I cancel my PR and get CPF back easily?

In any case, just curious, is it useful for me in my situation at all or I can just ignore the whole thing and go away...

If they approved it at least a month earlier, then situation would've been different. But now I already talked to landlord about my leaving, microchipped and inoculated my cat, got quotes for transportation...

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:58 pm

I don't think you can still take it, if you are being honest (or if they know about your being out of a job, which is likely). If they find out later, you'd likely be in trouble as well.

I know it's hard to give up, but since you're moving to HK, just decline it politely. Sadly, that will likely mean you won't ever get the chance again to be PR :P

At least in HK, you are guaranteed PR after 7 years, afaik.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 6:27 pm

I also do not think I have another multitude of years to spend on something like SG PR for vague perspective of what? I'm 32 now and need to move on. It will be hard for me to move on in SG now, not SG fault though. In any case, I have no option of coming back home to my country.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 7:49 pm

I believe that you can simply decline to accept it in a letter or not collect your REP.

Sorry to hear of your marriage breakdown; that's a tough blow for anyone.

When will Putin collapse so the oil price can recover?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 8:10 pm

Any eagles gathering before I left mid March?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 9:28 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I also do not think I have another multitude of years to spend on something like SG PR for vague perspective of what? I'm 32 now and need to move on. It will be hard for me to move on in SG now, not SG fault though. In any case, I have no option of coming back home to my country.
I have a friend who got his PR approved as he got a job in HK, coincidentally

He collected his PR and put his friend's address and planned to get to SG if he got a better job here as he has relatives here ..

5 years later he was still in HK and decided to cash out his CPF contribution , not much $ though

You never know where fair winds will bring you

Sorry about the breakdown .. I hope it wasn't long drawn out ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 9:30 pm

PNGMK wrote: When will Putin collapse so the oil price can recover?
That man is holding strong ... so far... lower oil prices .. not sure the joke is on who now ...

More and more idling AHTs and OSVs I can see from my work place ...

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 9:36 pm

So the guy for the whole 5 years was out of Singapore still keeping his PR?

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 9:59 pm

Hi Sergei82,
sorry about your predicament...i'm sure things will work out well for you...

i had my PR through marriage with a local. we are now divorced. had been in and out of the country for the past few years. at one point, i even stayed out of the country for 2 years. renewed my REP last year (and i wasn't employed then). not a problem. but i do have a son who is s'porean. not sure if that will make a difference.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 2:56 am

nanana wrote:. but i do have a son who is s'porean. not sure if that will make a difference.
the son is the primary reason, I believe, for renewing PR for those foreigners who are divorced, as I know 3 of my close friends in the same predicament ..

minus their kids, I am sure the REP would have been rejected, as their salary/employment is not of the 5 figure category ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 8:14 am

Wow Sergei.. Both my condolences and congrats. Sorry the marriage didn't work out, but happy for you that you figured it out so soon. And, you're going to one of the top possible places in the world to be a young single ang moh. You'll absolutely love Hong Kong.

We definitely need an Eagles meet before you go. And once you're there, I'll join you for Eagles HK!