Singapore Expats

Starhub and Singtel Broadband Discussion

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
garry.yang.52

Starhub and Singtel Broadband Discussion

Post by garry.yang.52 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:02 am

This thread is to help expats to have a wise choice on their internet plans With singtel and starhub. Depending on their duration of stay or lease in the apartment

garry.yang.52

Re: Starhub and Singtel Broadband Discussion

Post by garry.yang.52 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:03 am

Anybody have any questions regarding Singtel or starhub internet or have difficulty choosing a plan , i am able to advise you here

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:40 am

You seem to teeter on the line of being helpful and advertising your business. You cross that line, you're gonna get it. That said, I'm gonna let the regulars have fun with you.

To respond to your post, it's like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

The consensus among the regulars here is to get neither and just subscribe to a fiber connection ISP.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 8:17 am

garry.yang.52 wrote:Anybody have any questions regarding Singtel or starhub internet or have difficulty choosing a plan , i am able to advise you here
Hi Garry, sure, I have a question: Cisco DPC3925 used by starhab has a fixed range of IP addresses that can be allocated to its internal dhcp server, to one single network within C class. Could you please tell me what is the rationale behind spoiling this otherwise rather good piece of equipment with such idiotic limitation?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:35 am

nakatago wrote:You seem to teeter on the line of being helpful and advertising your business. You cross that line, you're gonna get it. That said, I'm gonna let the regulars have fun with you.

To respond to your post, it's like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

The consensus among the regulars here is to get neither and just subscribe to a fiber connection ISP.
you mean both singtel and starhub do not offer fiber broad band?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:42 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:you mean both singtel and starhub do not offer fiber broad band?
ISP whose primary product is fiber broadband before the big 3 even considered it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:45 pm

garry.yang.52 wrote:This thread is to help expats to have a wise choice on their internet plans With singtel and starhub. Depending on their duration of stay or lease in the apartment
Anyone who is interested in quality Internet should subscribe to MyRepublic or ViewQuest, this has been discussed many times over. Singtel and Starhub are for those who can't be bothered about the quality of their Internet service or have very minimal needs.

I won't even bother to elaborate, there are dozens of posts about this already.

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Mon, 02 Mar 2015 1:29 pm

i have just moved to Singapore & will shortly be signing up for my house lease. As such need to set up everything new - internet, Cable TV & phone. Seek some advice as below:

1. I am looking at a Myrepublic plan for the internet. Just wanted to check: does the 1Gbps plan really translate in to real world usage at those speeds since most routers (i have a Netgear DGND 3700 currently) dont deliver more than half of that via wifi

2. Can i take MyRepublic for internet + phone & Singtel/Starhub for cable? Asking since i read on the singtel site that delivery of cable service needs either a phone line or internet

3. Last: is the MyRepublic + Singtel/Starhub plan as above work out to be far more expensive than just going for all 3 with either Singtel/Starhub alone? Up to 10%-20% difference is completely ok for the excellent internet service of course.

Many thanx.