Singapore Expats

PR Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: PR Advice

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 8:57 am

nakatago wrote:
bgd wrote:Has anything changed since your last application, i.e. some improvement in circumstances? If not then I doubt things will change if you reapply.
He's pretty up there; I bet it's because he's a flight risk. A highly paid banker? That leads the pack in terms of mobility.

Would relocate to other countries at the drop of a dollar bill.

120k in a bank at the age of 42, I wouldn't call it highly paid, just well paid. At 42, you will find people who are directors in banks earning 250k. Now that is highly paid :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:07 am

Wd40 wrote: So you liked Singapore more than US and Japan. Interesting.
If you're an Indian family I can probably understand it. Japan though mind-blowingly fascinating, and a wonderful place to spend some time, is far from multi-cultural. If you're white then it's OK, since they have a deeply held respect for the higher cultural facets of 'white/western' cultures. If you're non-white, then you are very much in the minority, and JP does have it's xenophobic/nationalist aspects. If you're younger and working all hours god gives then you can ride it out readily or indeed very happily, and progress on to your next posting. But if you're a family looking to settle down...? You'd probably live out in the far suburbs, i.e. where almost exclusively locals live, and it's way less cosmopolitan. I don't imagine you have queues of non-white professionals families queueing for PR there.

The US is another matter. Almost by design it is the ultimate kaleidoscope of races and cultures, so I don't see 'fitting in' as an issue. Presumably the OP has other reasons to consider SG preferable to the US: Proximity to The Motherland seems to be a common one.

p.s. Just an observation (and by no means a criticism). A curious and somewhat, er, endearing (?) thing I found in the States is how people powerfully identify with their historical origins. So 'Jim in IT' refers to himself as Polish, despite being say 3rd generation American. Jim'll have a Polish flag in his cubicle and will bring in traditional paczki Easter donuts that his (probably 'Polish' wife) baked, to share with his colleagues. The prominent display and celebration of one's roots seems much more part of an almost required public identity. You need to have some cultural handle to be proud of and be identified with and by. Doesn't matter what 'tribe' you are as such, but you have to be something, have an identity group IME.... I wonder if you could somehow be 'nothing' there, no cultural identity... hmmm. I think I knew the cultural background going back several generations of all my co-workers, that's how ever-present it seems to be. [That's East Coast, 'Wall Street' sector - of course that likely does not apply in any way in the 99.99% rest of the US, I don't know since I haven't been to every town in the US :) ]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Thu, 12 Feb 2015 2:29 pm

Wd40 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
bgd wrote:Has anything changed since your last application, i.e. some improvement in circumstances? If not then I doubt things will change if you reapply.
He's pretty up there; I bet it's because he's a flight risk. A highly paid banker? That leads the pack in terms of mobility.

120k in a bank at the age of 42, I wouldn't call it highly paid, just well paid. At 42, you will find people who are directors in banks earning 250k. Now that is highly paid :D
Agreed. 120K is high at 42? I thought everybody makes 120 at 40 or above.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:07 am

Must've missed the age.

In any case, still a flight risk.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bumblebee007

Post by bumblebee007 » Sat, 14 Feb 2015 5:13 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
nakatago wrote: He's pretty up there; I bet it's because he's a flight risk. A highly paid banker? That leads the pack in terms of mobility.

Agreed. 120K is high at 42? I thought everybody makes 120 at 40 or above.
Its not high at all. I am much younger than OP not in a bank still earning around the same. if a person working in a bank especially in IT operations would be earning much more if the experience is over 10+ years.