Singapore Expats

Need Help, can a WP holder give birth in Singapore?

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
N&J

Need Help, can a WP holder give birth in Singapore?

Post by N&J » Tue, 03 Feb 2015 7:25 pm

Hi all,

I am a Malaysia WP holder and has been working in Singapore since 2007. My husband (a PR from same hometown) and i got married (approved by MOM) in Singapore.

I am now 8 weeks pregnant (checked in JB) and have not informed MOM yet as understand i will be deported immediately. But the problem is that I am now still waiting for results of 2nd times PR application which applied on Aug 2014 (which nowadays the process takes 6-12months). If i inform the MOM, i scare it will affect my PR result. What should i do?

Another question is, can a WP holder request to give birth in Singapore? Can a PR father-to-be enjoy subsidy & maternity benefit?

If i give birth in my country, how much is the percentage i can come back to work in Singapore?

Is there any other thing i need to concern?

Thanks in advance for your help!
(Sorry for the broken english :/ ...)

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Need Help, can a WP holder give birth in Singapore?

Post by taxico » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 6:54 am

i think with a PR spouse, you should be okay... but you would need to get permission first.

don't quote me though...! you can surely call up MOM and ask a hypothetical question?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 9:00 am

I concur. As you married with the permission of MOM, then I think you can probably obtain leave to stay in Singapore for the birth (even MOM must be aware that marriage may lead to pregnancy).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

N&J

Post by N&J » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 2:08 pm

taxico wrote:i think with a PR spouse, you should be okay... but you would need to get permission first.

don't quote me though...! you can surely call up MOM and ask a hypothetical question?
Hi @PNGMK & @taxico, thanks for your advise, i have just emailed to MOM for our enquiry, will post the outcome once they replied.

N&J

Post by N&J » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 2:11 pm

N&J wrote:
taxico wrote:i think with a PR spouse, you should be okay... but you would need to get permission first.

Hi @PNGMK & @taxico, thanks for your advise, i have just emailed to MOM for our enquiry, will post the outcome once they replied.
Hi all, thanks for your encouragement for call up MOM to ask about my situation. MOM called me today. Since i got married with the approval of MOM, i am allowed to continue to stay and deliver in Singapore. But 1st thing 1st is to inform my employer so that they can officially inform MOM. The MOM will reply us on what to do next.

here is another email reply from MOM (kindly take note it is vary on a case by case basis):

If the foreign worker is a female foreign worker, the foreign worker shall not become pregnant or deliver any child in Singapore during the validity of her Work Permit/Visit Pass, unless she is a Work Permit holder who is already married to a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident with the approval of the Controller (yes we got the approval) . This condition shall apply even after the Work Permit of the foreign worker has expired or has been cancelled or revoked.

If the foreign worker received the approval, the Work Permit will remain valid. If the employee's work permit was revoked by the Work Permit Department because of her pregnancy, she would not be entitled to the paid maternity leave since her employment with the employer has ceased.

If the work permit was not revoked, and the employee gives birth to a child who is not a Singapore citizen, she will be entitled to 12 weeks maternity leave if she is covered under the Employment Act. She will be paid for the first 8 weeks of maternity leave if she has fewer than 2 living children (excluding the newborn), and she has served her employer for at least 3 months before the birth of the child. Beyond the first 8 weeks, maternity payment from the employer is voluntary and the employer is not entitled to claim any reimbursement from the government. If the employee gives birth to the 3rd or subsequent child, the full 12 weeks maternity leave will be unpaid.

Paternity leave is not a statutory entitlement under the Employment Act. Hence the employee's entitlement to the paternity leave is subject to what is stated in the employment contract or negotiation between the employee and the employer.

Employees (with non-citizens birth) who are covered under the Employment Act ie. non-executive and non-managerial positions and meets the qualifying conditions of 3 month's service with the employer would be entitled to 2 days of childcare leave if he/she has any child below the age of 7 years. The 2 days childcare leave is paid by the employer and not claimable from the government. If the child is not residing in Singapore, we are of the view that the employee could apply for childcare leave together with his annual leave when he/she goes back to his country on home leave. (~end of email~)

As for the subsidy, the MOM officer recommended me to check with the Hospital.

Will update you all again :)