Subrenting

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
HS

Subrenting

Post by HS » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 5:14 am

Here's some questions on renting a flat in Singapore.

*If I want to subrent a room from the apartment I rented, do I need to have the owner's permission?
*What are the costs aside rent I should know of? For example, is the maintenance of the A/C usually included in the rent? What about electricity and water?
*How much does these extras cost? It is a 2br apartment and I don't like to keep the aircon on all the time, maybe only 5hours/day

Thanks in advance! :D

HS

Post by HS » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 4:17 pm

Anyone? :?: :?: :shock:

kayhec

Post by kayhec » Wed, 19 Jan 2005 4:33 pm

Hi

Not sure if you legally need to inform your landlord, if you keep the main lease in your name. Mine is aware that I sublet the second bedroom, but said as long as I keep the place ok and well maintained, he is fine with it. Basicaly it is my responsability to be careful of my tenant.

For the aircon, in my case the servicing is at my cost, so I share it with my tenant, I think it costs about $30 per air-con unit in average.

To be on the safe side, draft yourself a little contract between you and your tenant that lists the details of your agreement:
amount of rent
payment of utilities
date of payment
so on.....

Screwed

Visitors or Sublet??

Post by Screwed » Sat, 22 Jan 2005 3:45 am

I had visitors staying and the landlord claimed that I was subletting and terminated the Tenancy Agreement and refused to repay the Security Deposit!!! Be Very Carefull.. How many others have had Landlords refuse to repay their deposits on spurious claims??

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”