Singapore Expats

Anyone bought a Blendtec blender?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Fiddler

Anyone bought a Blendtec blender?

Post by Fiddler » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 3:37 am

In the market for a heavy duty Blender and looking at Blendtec as it seems to have a good combination of capabilities and aesthetics. A friend has a spare one at home in the Uk and she's promised to bring it down for me…question is, will it work here? It should if it's 240V like the in the UK, right?

nakatago

Re: Anyone bought a Blendtec blender?

Post by nakatago » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 5:46 am

Fiddler wrote:In the market for a heavy duty Blender and looking at Blendtec as it seems to have a good combination of capabilities and aesthetics. A friend has a spare one at home in the Uk and she's promised to bring it down for me…question is, will it work here? It should if it's 240V like the in the UK, right?
Should be no problem at all, as far as I know. You should note that for powerful/motor-driven/heating/cooling appliances, the frequency should match as well. Singapore and the UK use pretty much the same specs though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_elec ... by_country
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 9:17 am

At least 50% of our household electronic appliances were purchased in the UK, and the total might be 80% that were purchased within the EU itself. I.e pretty much all our major/core household appliances that we have, has UK specs. The rest of our appliances have been bought locally, they tend to be new concept stuff, things on an offer that's too good to refuse, and appliances that seem to never last much beyond a year or two anyway.

As Nak suggests, it's worth looking more closely at precise specs, the harder and longer the work the appliance might do. Also the more complex, like TVs and so on.

Have a look at Blendtec's local site, on the products page, http://www.blendtecsingapore.com/#!blen ... pore/c16gb . It outlines the specs, so you can make a comparison vs the UK models. You might even contact them here, and ask if you bought one here, would the electrical specs match and perform the same when you came to take it with you on moving back to the UK (if you see where I'm coming from).
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:25 am

The UK and Singapore operate on the same electrical frequency 230V/50Hz so in theory UK appliances should be perfectly compatible. Blendtec maintains that a UK Blendtec machine will not work 'as desired' in Singapore even though the voltage and frequency are exactly in the same range….I thought they might be telling porkies just to protect their dealer here who charges outrageous prices. That's why I was wondering if anyone here was actually using a Blendtec purchased in the UK. Thanks for all your responses though…good stuff.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:32 am

Fiddler wrote:even though the voltage and frequency are exactly in the same range….I thought they might be telling porkies just to protect their dealer here who charges outrageous prices. .
If you can blend the following items* in Singapore with a UK BlendTec then they really were just pulling a fast one.

*except Chuck Norris
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."