Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
relaxrolex
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 07 Oct 2010

Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby relaxrolex » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:42 am

G'day all,

We live in East Coast area (Siglap) and are looking for a Judo club for our 9 yr old boy and 6 yr old girl. Any suggestion please?

Appreciate your time! O:)

Rolex T.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby nakatago » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 5:56 am

relaxrolex wrote:G'day all,

We live in East Coast area (Siglap) and are looking for a Judo club for our 9 yr old boy and 6 yr old girl. Any suggestion please?

Appreciate your time! O:)

Rolex T.


Does it have to be specifically judo? Or would any other regimented martial art do?

relaxrolex
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 07 Oct 2010

Re: Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby relaxrolex » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:26 pm

nakatago wrote:
relaxrolex wrote:G'day all,

We live in East Coast area (Siglap) and are looking for a Judo club for our 9 yr old boy and 6 yr old girl. Any suggestion please?

Appreciate your time! O:)

Rolex T.


Does it have to be specifically judo? Or would any other regimented martial art do?


Hi Nakatago,

Thanks for your reply.

My boy's recently watched a Sport program talking about Judo training and got really interested in it. I used to train Judo when I was a kid too so I know how fun it is; not to mention the discipline and physical/ mental strength that the kids would benefit from doing Judo.

So yes, I am looking for Judo only. Any suggestion pls?

Cheers,
Rolex T.

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012

Re: Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby Aragorn2000 » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 7:48 am

Judo is a practical, efficient self-defense art, but there are some risks you may want to consider:

Most of the risks are related to incorrect throws and breakfalls:

1. The sparring partner could possibly perform a half-baked throw resulting in your child slam her head into the tatami leading to head/neck injuries or even worst, total paralysis.

2. Even if throws are perform correctly and breakfalls are engaged beautifully, enduring breakfalls every day can lead to more subtle injuries: organ damage, retinal detachment (leading to blindness) or posterior vitreous detachment (seeing flies/bubbles/floating objects in the eyes; a benign but very annoying condition; it persists for the rest of the sufferer's life).

The problem is that most Judo instructors know nothing about sports injuries. They would give very little consideration to this issue in their teaching syllabus.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby nakatago » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 8:35 am

Ask these guys?

Singapore Judo Federation

Yeah, it's most incomplete but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

relaxrolex
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 07 Oct 2010

Re: Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby relaxrolex » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 3:49 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:Judo is a practical, efficient self-defense art, but there are some risks you may want to consider:

Most of the risks are related to incorrect throws and breakfalls:

1. The sparring partner could possibly perform a half-baked throw resulting in your child slam her head into the tatami leading to head/neck injuries or even worst, total paralysis.

2. Even if throws are perform correctly and breakfalls are engaged beautifully, enduring breakfalls every day can lead to more subtle injuries: organ damage, retinal detachment (leading to blindness) or posterior vitreous detachment (seeing flies/bubbles/floating objects in the eyes; a benign but very annoying condition; it persists for the rest of the sufferer's life).

The problem is that most Judo instructors know nothing about sports injuries. They would give very little consideration to this issue in their teaching syllabus.


Thank you for the info.

relaxrolex
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 07 Oct 2010

Re: Looking for a Judo club in the East (Siglap) for kids

Postby relaxrolex » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 3:52 pm

nakatago wrote:Ask these guys?

Singapore Judo Federation

Yeah, it's most incomplete but they should be able to point you in the right direction.


Hi Nakatago,

Thanks for the link.

I found a club called The Dojo ( or Judo at The Dojo?) at Siglap South CC.

Will go over to visit soon. Cheers.

Rolex T.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Sports & Recreational Partners & Team”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests