Singapore Expats

Is 4k sufficient for a couple to survive in SG

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
azharhussain1987

Is 4k sufficient for a couple to survive in SG

Post by azharhussain1987 » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:14 pm

Hi all,

I have been offered 4k SGD per month and I come from India.
I have a wife and would like to know is the offer sufficient to survive in SG.

I currently work in an MNC bank, and I will be taking an IJP within my own company.

Regards,

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Is 4k sufficient for a couple to survive in SG

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:06 pm

azharhussain1987 wrote:Hi all,

I have been offered 4k SGD per month and I come from India.
I have a wife and would like to know is the offer sufficient to survive in SG.

I currently work in an MNC bank, and I will be taking an IJP within my own company.

Regards,
Provided you leave your wife in India, are a vegan and do not drink alcohol and take public transit, you should be okay.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

azharhussain1987

Post by azharhussain1987 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:13 am

Well, I would be thinking of bringing my wife there. I am non-vegetarian and non alcoholic. She holds similar experience as me i.e of 6.5yrs. Since it was me who is offered with a job, she wishes to search locally which would probably fetch a similar offer. So that would then add up
to manage our expenses. Yet I wish to know, how well can we manage until she finds a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 1:51 am

azharhussain1987 wrote:Well, I would be thinking of bringing my wife there. I am non-vegetarian and non alcoholic. She holds similar experience as me i.e of 6.5yrs. Since it was me who is offered with a job, she wishes to search locally which would probably fetch a similar offer. So that would then add up
to manage our expenses. Yet I wish to know, how well can we manage until she finds a job.

how to manage ?

Rent a common room, and if you are lucky find a landlord/main tenant who allows cooking

if not, you will struggle !

azharhussain1987

Post by azharhussain1987 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 1:58 am

Since I have been offered at 4k a month, I am expecting my wife to find equal or more as she holds a higher position . We both work in the same office in India and only I have been offered a job in their Singapore office. She would quit and join me there for hunting locally. So if we both together get about 8-10k a month, can we be able to have a fair accommodation, food and utility expense?

I am still not able to draw a clear picture and looking for a more clearer answer.

I will be moving with 4k a month initially.. Can we survive with until she manages to get a job ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 2:47 am

azharhussain1987 wrote: I will be moving with 4k a month initially.. Can we survive with until she manages to get a job ?
My reply addressed your specific question

How clearer would you like it to be ? please elaborate !!!

azharhussain1987

Post by azharhussain1987 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 2:50 am

Thank you ecureilx.. My exact worry is - I am offered 4k and I am expecting once my wife moves there would be offered a similar salary or little more.. As a couple can we get over with our expenses and some savings with both our salaries totalling 8-9k? .. That's my worry

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 2:57 am

azharhussain1987 wrote:Thank you ecureilx.. My exact worry is - I am offered 4k and I am expecting once my wife moves there would be offered a similar salary or little more.. As a couple can we get over with our expenses and some savings with both our salaries totalling 8-9k? .. That's my worry

question 1: with 4K can a couple survive ? answer, as I have said, yes, if you opt for a cheaper accomodation and find a landlord/tenant who allows you to cook. Cheaper = Shared apartment, with a common room, shared Toilet. If you want your own attached toilet, a master room will set you back upward of 1000 to 1200 $

Question 2: 8 to 9K - i.e. once your wife has found a job ?

if you spend a bit of search here, you will know the answer will be a resounding YESSSSSSSSSS !

azharhussain1987

Post by azharhussain1987 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 3:04 am

Thank you .. Yes I needed to know for both the amounts .. Primarily for 4k as the current situation is only person with a guaranteed job. And i asked about 8k so that it would help me decide whether to accept the offer or not.. I'm glad u have given me a response which would help me decide my move. Thank you again.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 5:42 am

azharhussain1987 wrote:I am still not able to draw a clear picture and looking for a more clearer answer.
It goes both ways. People need to know your preferences, lifestyle, current detailed situation and expectations.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

azharhussain1987

Post by azharhussain1987 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 5:48 am

Well the current lifestyle I have is not very demanding .. I occasionally eat in restaurants(twice a month), maybe 2-3 movies a month in a multiplex, apparels shopping is once a quarter, consume non-veg quite frequently.. No smoking or drinking... My future expectations would be to have a similar lifestyle and not a very conservative lifestylezz.. I was a bachelor here with my parents but will be moving to singapore with my wife.. She has a similar lifestyle like mine but a more frequent shopper similar to any woman

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 6:20 am

azharhussain1987 wrote: She has a similar lifestyle like mine but a more frequent shopper similar to any woman
if she is prudent shopper, on your 4K, you may be able to scrape it

If not, you may let her stay back home, till she secures a job :)

Singapore is shopper's paradise, with fire sales, of 200 $ shoes being sold for 50 $ and such .. :D :D

azharhussain1987

Post by azharhussain1987 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 6:23 am

ha ha.. Well she would not be a very prudent shopper until she gets a hold of job and she is very very skilled to get a job. I was only hoping to know if we both together can have a good life out there as what we have here in Bangalore.. Most of you lovely people have helped find an answer. hoping to get through the visa approvals..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 7:17 am

ecureilx wrote: Singapore is shopper's paradise, with fire sales, of retroactively-priced-as 200 $ shoes being sold for 50 $ and such .. :D :D
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 8:53 am

Since its an IJP(internal job posting) you are being short changed on the salary. I guess yours is a body shopping company. If you are really desperate to abroad then come otherwise don't.

Anyways you will not save much money, max $500-1000 only. You can have decent life rent 2000 and other expenses 1000-1500