Singapore Expats Forum

Places to visit in Singapore

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
suzanne42

Places to visit in Singapore

Postby suzanne42 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 1:44 pm

I am a Singaporean who recently got married to a foreigner. He's visiting Singapore for the first time. What places do you recommend for me to take him to? We want to do some activities as a couple. Also which museum is more worthwhile to visit? Alive or Trick Eye Museum?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Places to visit in Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:31 pm

wait a minute you are asking other foreigners on advice about your own country? 8-)
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:47 pm

I was actually pretty interested at HDB Hub. Take him there to the ground floor lobby and look at the exhibits. Then take a walk through Toa Payoh to say Braddel MRT.

It's rather insightful for a foreigner and gives an idea of 'real' Singapore. Consider it a "museum of modern history".

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:57 pm

And your introduction to Singapore will be an optical illusion "museum"??

How about the Singapore Discovery Centre and SAF Museum at Paya Lebar?
Go cycling around Pulau Ubin?
Take the ferry to St Johns and have a beach day on Lazarus island?
The Singapore Museum, the Asian Civilisation Museum so much to do!

Even better, take a taxi to Kent Ridge park and walk the Southern Ridges to Mount Faber, then take the cable car to Sentosa - then you can go the Trick Eye Museum, Madam Tussauds, Universal Studios and the SEA Aquarium in one day ;)

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 4:18 pm

Or even Chinatown, Little India, Padang, Merlion?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 6:05 pm

I guess that as a local your only consideration would normally be ION?

Kranji war memorial, Changi Chapel, Bukit timah, That weird theme park thing near west coast (Hong Lim? Weird ass stuff!), Gardens by the bay and of course the ciity for food drink etc.

Oh, and Toa Payoh will be a good feel for the "real Singapore"
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 6:30 pm

the lynx wrote:Or even Chinatown, Little India, Padang, Merlion?

Agreed, plus Raffles Place on a weekday, East Coast for seafood, a gentle hike at MacRitchie.

We just went to the observation desk at Ion this w/e, it's free, and considering that it's worth a trip if in the vicinity (we encountered no queueing at all at any point either). Stunning views, and to think we just came upon it completely by chance when on the floor the lift happens to run from...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

suzanne42

Postby suzanne42 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you friends for all your replies. Although I am a local, I hardly get time to go anywhere besides some shopping malls for food and shopping. Since am taking my hubby around here for the first time, I want to do some activities which are fun and give us the opportunity to spend quality time as a couple.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 9:03 pm

Sometimes it's like that. In my first job I worked in London in an office fronting right onto the Thames. We had the Tower of London immediately to the east (50M), Tower Bridge next to it, and HMS Belfast moored up directly opposite. Despite which none of us seemed to have gone to any of them (excl pre-teen formal school trips).

It was usually when a business visitor was in town for a few days and regaling us re: the local sights that it struck you that you'd overlooked something of great interest to others, that you walked past, or worked opposite, oblivious to it, every single day.

p.s. I also suggest looking at Tripadvisor for SG, and looking at their top user-suggested 'Attractions'. That'll be a spectrum from backpackers, the whole way up to the better off visitor, but will give a broad and hopefully insightful perspective. From that you should be able to put together a flexible itinerary/bucket-list.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 9:00 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Or even Chinatown, Little India, Padang, Merlion?

Agreed, plus Raffles Place on a weekday, East Coast for seafood, a gentle hike at MacRitchie.

We just went to the observation desk at Ion this w/e, it's free, and considering that it's worth a trip if in the vicinity (we encountered no queueing at all at any point either). Stunning views, and to think we just came upon it completely by chance when on the floor the lift happens to run from...

What do you mean it is free? I remember having to pay to go up there long time ago. I think it was Luke's. Lucky you.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 9:04 am

nutnut wrote:That weird theme park thing near west coast (Hong Lim? Weird ass stuff!)

You mean Haw Par Villa? It is more like Asian haunted house, showing visitors all the seven gates of hell and what punishment befalls for crimes in past life (milling stone for adultery, impaling for corruption etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haw_Par_Villa

The most common description of the levels includes the Chamber of Tongue Ripping, The Chamber of Scissors, The Chamber of Iron Cycads, the Chamber of Mirror, Chamber of Steamer, Forest of Copper Column, Mountain of Knives, the Hill of Ice, Cauldron of Boiling Oil, Chamber of Ox, Chamber of Rock, Chamber of Pounding, Pool of Blood, Town of Suicide, Chamber of Dismemberment, Mountain of Flames, Yard of Stone Mill, and Chamber of Saw. The worst level of this hell is known as Avici, which is reserved for the worst sinners. Avici is unlike the other levels of Diyu because souls that end up here remain for eternity with no more hope to be reborn.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:10 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:We just went to the observation desk at Ion this w/e, it's free, and considering that it's worth a trip if in the vicinity (we encountered no queueing at all at any point either). Stunning views, and to think we just came upon it completely by chance when on the floor the lift happens to run from...

What do you mean it is free? I remember having to pay to go up there long time ago. I think it was Luke's. Lucky you.

I mean it's free :)
There's a lift that runs from a small corridor that's around/between Oak Cellars (wine and cigars), A British shop (with a German name) that sells posh olive oils and vinegars, and right by some kind of desk/counter, which might be a Sistic ticket desk, I don't know.

There was no queue, no barriers, no tickets, no one 'in charge' or ordering us about, just a lift, and up you go. It's a big lift, maybe 6-8 other people were in with us, so no crowd.

Out the lift through the hall, and into this open empty space. Maybe 20-30 there + a bunch of schoolkids lying on the floor 'hanging out'.

And that was it. Maybe it's a vacant restaurant or something that they've left open to the public. As we left and were waiting for the lift I did notice the entranceway to a restaurant off the lobby at that floor. But it seemed no one was in there (between lunch and dinner perhaps?)

I'll see if I can post or link a representative pic.

p.s. Google on 'singapore ion observation deck' for some pictures.
Refer: http://ionorchard.com/en/1172-ionsky - the official site, where it states entrance is free.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:40 pm

I'd recommend

1.Labrador Park for a picnic, take bus 404 parks bus from harbourfront MRT and it takes you right to the parks entrance.

2. Kent Ridge Park

3. Singapore Botanic Gardens

4. Pulao Ubin for a picnic and cycling

5. Gardens by the bay in the evenings between 7:00pm - 9:00pm is quite nice.

6. get on the hop on hop off bus it takes you nearly everywhere. :-k
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:52 pm

I'd second all of the things that rajagainstthemachine suggested and add one of my own: a visit to the Singapore City Gallery at the URA building at Maxwell Road.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/citygallery/

I think you'll be impressed and it's a real eye opener for Singaporeans and foreigners alike.

Also, I'd highly recommend seeing if you can find a copy of the late David Brazil's (of "No Money No Honey" infamy) "Insider's Singapore" which is full of fascinating stories, snippets of history and urban legends relating to Singapore. Another real eye-opener.

rajagainstthemachine wrote:1.Labrador Park for a picnic, take bus 404 parks bus from harbourfront MRT and it takes you right to the parks entrance.

2. Kent Ridge Park

3. Singapore Botanic Gardens

4. Pulao Ubin for a picnic and cycling

5. Gardens by the bay in the evenings between 7:00pm - 9:00pm is quite nice.

6. get on the hop on hop off bus it takes you nearly everywhere. :-k
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

suzanne42

Postby suzanne42 » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 1:13 pm

Thank you friends for all the ideas :) I really appreciate it.