Singapore Expats Forum

No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30pm?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by nakatago » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 5:49 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:So I'm confused. Which kinds of drums were causing the problems? ...
What is the actual law on the drums anyway? Banned everywhere? or just in public places? There are a lot of comparisons to the Lion dances, but at least those happen in private places and end after 5-10 minutes.
Private places? It seems not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKZWTQorM_c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Grand funeral procession in Singapore April 2009'
Wind to 2:45, and then peaking at c4:45... and 6:00 onwards

I'm sure we've all witnessed such things before. All perfectly legal.

Or the Lion Dancers' trucks going by, at times several groups of them every day... who knows why they perform in their trucks en route to their destinations, perhaps to bring joy to the neighbourhood they're passing through?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03oVBHYXbS0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Lion dance truck 2'
I don't know about you but I find those cymbals shrill and annoying...especially at 9 am on a Saturday morning in a residential area.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36513
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 6:02 pm

^^This!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 6:54 pm

nakatago wrote:I don't know about you but I find those cymbals shrill and annoying...especially at 9 am on a Saturday morning in a residential area.
Perhaps, but then many things here could be considered 'annoying'*. Doesn't make them any less a part of the accepted day-to-day indigenous poly-cultural fabric that one is seemingly constantly reminded to 'like it or leave'.

* Please don't get me started :wink: :roll: :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by nakatago » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 8:03 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:I don't know about you but I find those cymbals shrill and annoying...especially at 9 am on a Saturday morning in a residential area.
Perhaps, but then many things here could be considered 'annoying'*. Doesn't make them any less a part of the accepted day-to-day indigenous poly-cultural fabric that one is seemingly constantly reminded to 'like it or leave'.

* Please don't get me started :wink: :roll: :lol:
The point is, some people would like to think that Thaipusam drumming which happens once a year in a small part of Singapore is a nuisance and should be banned. Guess who these people are.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 8:13 pm

nakatago wrote: The point is, some people would like to think that Thaipusam drumming which happens once a year in a small part of Singapore is a nuisance and should be banned. Guess who these people are.
I believe that that is the point I have also been hinting at, (but I was trying to be a little more discreet about the precise phrasing of it).

:wink: :)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by nakatago » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 8:56 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: The point is, some people would like to think that Thaipusam drumming which happens once a year in a small part of Singapore is a nuisance and should be banned. Guess who these people are.
I believe that that is the point I have also been hinting at, (but I was trying to be a little more discreet about the precise phrasing of it).

:wink: :)
Subtlety isn't the local's strong suit. There are times when you need a scalpel and there are times you just go in with hatchet.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 9:02 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: The point is, some people would like to think that Thaipusam drumming which happens once a year in a small part of Singapore is a nuisance and should be banned. Guess who these people are.
I believe that that is the point I have also been hinting at, (but I was trying to be a little more discreet about the precise phrasing of it).

:wink: :)
Subtlety isn't the local's strong suit. There are times when you need a scalpel and there are times you just go in with hatchet.


You live in OZ land, you can afford to not be discreet. We need to be careful. I sometimes edit my post multiple times, for that reason.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 9:11 pm

Wd40 wrote: You live in OZ land, you can afford to not be discreet. We need to be careful. I sometimes edit my post multiple times, for that reason.
Heh? I've never lived in Australia; I live here!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 9:16 pm

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: You live in OZ land, you can afford to not be discreet. We need to be careful. I sometimes edit my post multiple times, for that reason.
Heh? I've never lived in Australia; I live here!
Not you, lah, I was replying to Naka

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 9:21 pm

Wd40 wrote: Not you, lah, I was replying to Naka
Oh! :o Duh :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 1:03 am

Barnsley wrote:....
It was just waiting to blow up, since 1997 or so, when there was a petition to declare Thai Pusam as a national holiday for Hindus ..

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by nakatago » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 5:37 am

Wd40 wrote:You live in OZ land, you can afford to not be discreet. We need to be careful. I sometimes edit my post multiple times, for that reason.
I know...I wanted to address those who say "well, if you don't like it, just leave..." but the irony would be lost on them.

Note my use of pronouns too!

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by bgd » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:18 pm

ecureilx wrote: It was just waiting to blow up, since 1997 or so, when there was a petition to declare Thai Pusam as a national holiday for Hindus ..
I'd support this, as long as everyone gets the holiday. :wink:

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 1:03 pm

I heard local Indians wanted holiday for Pongal too.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by nakatago » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 1:12 pm

bgd wrote:
ecureilx wrote: It was just waiting to blow up, since 1997 or so, when there was a petition to declare Thai Pusam as a national holiday for Hindus ..
I'd support this, as long as everyone gets the holiday. :wink:
And be in the running with Japan and the Philippines as who has the most number of public holidays.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests