Singapore Expats

No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30pm?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:06 am

AngMoG wrote:
CaptainBullus wrote:From what I've read/watched it seems a lot of the grief was due to the fact they couldn't play their drums due to them causing a public disturbance , yet for other religious festivals/public holidays celebrated in SG musical instruments, fireworks etc are welcome. Is this a sign of religious intolerance in a multi-cultural society?
The Chinese hit the drums for weeks around Chinese New Year, yet nobody complains. Although it can sometimes be very annoying. So I find that a bit disturbing that they make such a fuss about this.
From what I read its been like this since 1973 , so it isn't a new ruling.

I saw an "article" on TRS (Everyones Reading It) about the St Patricks Day parade in that drums and instruments are allowed at that event.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:07 am

AngMoG wrote:
CaptainBullus wrote:From what I've read/watched it seems a lot of the grief was due to the fact they couldn't play their drums due to them causing a public disturbance , yet for other religious festivals/public holidays celebrated in SG musical instruments, fireworks etc are welcome. Is this a sign of religious intolerance in a multi-cultural society?
The Chinese hit the drums for weeks around Chinese New Year, yet nobody complains. Although it can sometimes be very annoying. So I find that a bit disturbing that they make such a fuss about this.
Not the mention hungry ghost month.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:09 am

AngMoG wrote:
Years ago somebody decided that Indians playing drums maybe a war cry or taunts by different Indian Gangs .. those were the days the govt was weeding out secret societies and all .. so drums were banned in Thai pusam... is the story I heard

A MHA friend I know can actually read tattoos of gangs .. no kidding

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:32 am

I seriously have no idea why they cannot play the urumee drums for Thaipusam. Double standards.

And you think the Chinese population has no gang problem? For all you know, the lion dance troupes used to be the front of the Chinese gangs.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:00 am

The article I read said the playing of musical instruments during parades was banned in the 1970s. No idea if that is actually the case but this being Sg, I wouldn't be surprised.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:57 am

the lynx wrote:I seriously have no idea why they cannot play the urumee drums for Thaipusam. Double standards.

And you think the Chinese population has no gang problem? For all you know, the lion dance troupes used to be the front of the Chinese gangs.
maybe politically wrong to say this but .. there was a fear that the indian gangs/secret societies were hard to break, so easy solution -> ban the drums

in a way, the drums are actually helping the carriers of the kavadi by putting them in a trance, especially those with body piercing... it is very wrong to ban the drums

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 1:58 pm

AngMoG wrote:
If you live near or in any bigger HDB estate a Malay wedding full of drums is like every month so I have no idea neither what is the fuss about with Thaipusam.

Personaly I find the drums (any local) enjoyable what I can not say about the karaoke (whatever it is) cacophony they periodically organize with similar frequency for the Senior Citizens.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 3:15 pm

bgd wrote:The article I read said the playing of musical instruments during parades was banned in the 1970s. No idea if that is actually the case but this being Sg, I wouldn't be surprised.
... er but what about Chingay Parade then?

['The Chingay Parade is a traditional Chinese New Year procession that has grown in recent years to become a massive street parade, boasting a stunning array of dancers, street floats, jugglers, percussionists, lion and dragon dancers, clowns and acrobats, among others. ...
...In recent years, the festival has evolved with Asian and global influences, with approximately 2,000 performers from various clubs, schools and institutions gyrating to Samba music – and has given the parade a growing reputation as the Mardi Gras of the East
]
http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/tr ... apore.html
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 3:29 pm

bgd wrote:The article I read said the playing of musical instruments during parades was banned in the 1970s. No idea if that is actually the case but this being Sg, I wouldn't be surprised.

I read the same , when it got enacted no social media no bother for Govt.

Now I am suspecting that there are far more Hindu's in Singapore now than then , and the new additions want to do what comes naturally to them for this festival.

Lets see how the Govt handle it.

Maybe if they allow the drums , less folk will be drinking =D>
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 4:43 pm

Barnsley wrote:Maybe if they allow the drums , less folk will be drinking =D>
Lots of liquid stuff can be smuggled in such drums.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 6:54 pm

Barnsley wrote:

I read the same , when it got enacted no social media no bother for Govt.

Now I am suspecting that there are far more Hindu's in Singapore now than then , and the new additions want to do what comes naturally to them for this festival.

Lets see how the Govt handle it.

Maybe if they allow the drums , less folk will be drinking =D>
Actually you are wrong

The new arrivals sort of look down on Thai pusam and the body piercing..

The native Singaporeans have become more religious and feel for their roots .. is what I know

X9200, realistically drinking is not a done thing along with avoiding meat, for those kavadi carriers

Nothing to do with imports

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 07 Feb 2015 8:14 am

I have not read up on the exact reason for the ban but on cursory glance I am puzzled? Are they causing commotion that may obstruct traffic, security threat, forgot to apply for the proper license to drum (need license for certain number of people gathering in public :P ?), causing noise pollution..............???

Speaking of which the entire island is already innundated (yeah I get to use a big word today) with the ear-splitting and heart-racing noise of huge con$truction machineries. Everywhere. You don't get a break. Not sure why the ear-pleasing sound of human beating drums in a (Indian) cultural event would be a such a big deal?

Such events contribute to the liveliness of the community and helps to ease the stress of daily lives. If you want more babies, you need to create a ripe environment where people feel joyful and relaxed enough to once again enjoy the procreation process. Ordering them to produce more in order to help the economy will not cut it. People don't get "in the mood" on demand. They are not robots. They will respond accordingly to their environment.

If you want babies that badly. Perhaps you can re-think your approach. What do they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. You have to $top using the economic model to solve a humane problem. If you need suggestions, feel free to contact me. According to my husband, I am a great seductress :mrgreen: .

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 07 Feb 2015 8:43 am

ecureilx wrote:
Years ago somebody decided that Indians playing drums maybe a war cry or taunts by different Indian Gangs .. those were the days the govt was weeding out secret societies and all .. so drums were banned in Thai pusam...
I think you just hit the nail on the head. This is how the govt has categorically (another big word from me :P ) handle many of the issues of the day. Let's eradicate the whole thing if one tiny element is causing a problem. Someone drew the analogy of using the sledgehammer to crack a nut. Sure, you are the ruling group but you do not represent the entire country. What you abhore, it may be there are many citizens who like. You need to address their needs too, not just yours alone.

Must it be my-way-or-the-high-way kind of thingy? Constantly. Seems to be such an unforgiving world. Would you like to raise a child in such an environment? Can you blame people for being unmotivated to make babies?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 07 Feb 2015 12:43 pm

http://therealsingapore.com/content/dea ... ying-music

After reading through this article, I still don't know the reason why they aren't allowed to play their music. The temple disallowed it because that was the order from the authority. But why doesn't the authority allow it :???: ? I saw this comment.

"Dr Goh Ken Swee set up the SSO because he did not want Singapore to become a soulless society. Will break Dr. Goh's heart if he were alive to see this incident. " Alfred Hong

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 07 Feb 2015 11:47 pm

Perhaps it got stamped on because Indians are the latest '''non-pivotal''' racial stomping-victim group de jour.

It was Caucasians a few months ago. So the wheel turns....
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard