Singapore Expats

Best service to transfer SGD to GBP

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Best service to transfer SGD to GBP

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 09 Apr 2015 11:40 am

FaeLLe wrote:
Girl_Next_Door wrote:Some money changers can provide currency conversion plus remittance services. Money changers generally get better rates than banks. You might want to try them.

If you are remitting the funds to your London Citi account, make sure you retain your withdrawal slips and instructions to money changers. The bank will definitely ask for it later.
Even though it is Singapore I would not feel comfortable walking around with almost half a million $ in cash!
While not disagreeing with you, I did see this dude wearing the typical Singaporean wife beater t shirt, shorts, and flip flops, bring about $235,000 in a paper bag into UOB's currency stations, where I was busy converting a couple thousand bucks. I can only guess he was a money changer... and it was interesting to watch all the money being counted.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Best service to transfer SGD to GBP

Post by JR8 » Thu, 09 Apr 2015 12:05 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:Even though it is Singapore I would not feel comfortable walking around with almost half a million $ in cash!
While not disagreeing with you, I did see this dude wearing the typical Singaporean wife beater t shirt, shorts, and flip flops, bring about $235,000 in a paper bag into UOB's currency stations, where I was busy converting a couple thousand bucks. I can only guess he was a money changer... and it was interesting to watch all the money being counted.
I tend to agree with FaeLLe, that's a lot of 'bearer wealth' to be carrying around in any country.

If you spend time around Raffles Place you come to recognise the money-changers 'runners', i.e. the guys who carry the cash. They dress anonymously and usually have the funds in shoulder bags, which they might keep one arm over. They don't hurry as such, but they move with a purpose that marks them out from the surrounding crowds.

When one arrives at a money changer they go to the side-door and get quick access to the secure back-room. Even these guys don't hang about, so without their knowledge etc I wouldn't seek to emulate them, except for maybe the shortest journey on foot, maybe a RP money-changer, over the square, into one of the big bank branches?

- I've seen characters that SE's anecdote reminds me of. Tattoos, gold Rolex, a few chains and some jade, emptying bags of cash. My conclusion then was they weren't runners, but perhaps more er... 'proprietors of cash-generative businesses'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard