Singapore Expats

Family Pet - Staffordshire Terrier

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
jacquief

Family Pet - Staffordshire Terrier

Post by jacquief » Sat, 17 Jan 2015 4:01 pm

Hi there, I'm about 5 weeks away from moving to Singapore with my partner and our young son. We also intended on bringing our beloved pet pooch, but in my investigations on pet transport and quarantine processes I discovered that Staffordshire Terriers are actually banned.

I'm just wondering if this is an absolute rule, or if there is any flexibility at all? I am fairly certain I know what the answer will be, but I just want to know that I've exhausted all options before we go through the heartbreaking task of trying to find him a new home.

Has anyone had any luck at all with bringing in a 'banned' breed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Family Pet - Staffordshire Terrier

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Jan 2015 8:06 pm

It's not going to happen, sad to say. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 17 Jan 2015 8:22 pm

No unfortunately the rules (laws) here are black and white, so if the AVA say it's a banned breed then there is zero chance of bringing it in.

It's harsh I know, as most Staffies are placid and make lovely pets, just their reputation has been set by the minority fringe of owners.... I expect you know the kind I mean.

Try and look on the positive side though. If it's young enough perhaps you has get it temporarily re-homed (?). If it's older not coming might be kinder; the climate is brutal on dogs, and culturally SGn are not used to them (many do not like them, and many others are very nervous around them). Then also there's the issue of renting a place where the landlord will accept dogs... no easy task, since anything above the scale of a 'toy dog' is verging on taboo here.

Good luck...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 17 Jan 2015 9:45 pm

JR8 wrote:No unfortunately the rules (laws) here are black and white, so if the AVA say it's a banned breed then there is zero chance of bringing it in.
many years ago, the only possibility of seeking an exemption is if OP rents a landed house, with "adequate" space, cue the black and whites, and then submit an appeal to AVA, if you are so attached to the dog.

Not sure if AVA will still entertain that plan, or will stick to their "NO CAN DO" line ..

jacquief

Post by jacquief » Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I had thought this might be the case. I'll find comfort in the fact that I'll be saving him from the heat and the flight over. Devastated, but it's for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk