Singapore Expats Forum

PIANO LESSON FOR A 5-YR OLD CHILD

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

mcl

PIANO LESSON FOR A 5-YR OLD CHILD

Postby mcl » Sun, 16 Jan 2005 6:06 pm

Hi,

I like to start my child in music (most likely piano) lesson and wonder whether anyone has any experience with Yamaha or Kawai. Thanks.

sunday3398

Postby sunday3398 » Sun, 16 Jan 2005 9:09 pm

Hi,

My daughter started with Yamaha since she was 3 1/2 years old. After the Junior Music Course (for 2years), I changed to Cristerfori (1 to 1). She is doing fine now. Currently she is 7 years old going for grade 2. The initial music training from Yamaha is good for her. As for Kawai, I am not too sure, as I do not have any experience.....

If you have the music background, you may want your child to start with 1 to 1 teaching either with Yamaha or Cristerfori. For me I do not have any music background, hence my children have to go through all the ground work!

Hope this is useful to you.

:wink:

jaytea

Postby jaytea » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 1:12 am

sunday3398 wrote:Hi,

My daughter started with Yamaha since she was 3 1/2 years old. After the Junior Music Course (for 2years), I changed to Cristerfori (1 to 1). She is doing fine now. Currently she is 7 years old going for grade 2. The initial music training from Yamaha is good for her. As for Kawai, I am not too sure, as I do not have any experience.....

Hi sunday3398,

Just wondering if you and your child find any difference in the teaching styles between yamaha and cristofori schools? What did you think of both school?

I am curious because i am thinking of applying for teaching work at one of these schools and was looking for opinions from both staff of the schools and also clients.

Many thanks! :)

Piano_Sam

Postby Piano_Sam » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 2:29 pm

jaytea wrote:
sunday3398 wrote:Hi,

Hi sunday3398,

Just wondering if you and your child find any difference in the teaching styles between yamaha and cristofori schools? What did you think of both school?

I am curious because i am thinking of applying for teaching work at one of these schools and was looking for opinions from both staff of the schools and also clients.

Many thanks! :)

Hi jaytea,

What I think you should be more concerned with is the method of progression for students. MAybe you could talk with the teachers personally and find out more on how they conduct their lessons. For ABRSM, it is not a criteria to progress through the grades together for theory and pratical till Grade 6 practical, where you are required to have Grade 5 theory then.

As such, many teachers in an "effort" to produce results skip the fundamental theory grades, which can be detrimental in the understanding of music later on. Some say that different students progress differently, ie some better in practical over theory, but my own opinion, and experiance as well is that better undestanding of music theory increases practical skills much better, especially later on in life. Just my 2 cents worth.