Singapore Expats Forum

Permanent jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

dicymoon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 26 Aug 2014
Location: Singapore

Permanent jobs in Singapore

Postby dicymoon » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:43 am

Hi Friends,

What are the chances to get a permanent job in Singapore for new expats.I could see so many contract jobs here but there is no job security in those jobs.Is the contract job the only option in Singapore for expats?
Related to this I have another question, EP rejection is based on certain parameters like salary, qualification, company's profile etc. What are the other factors involved in EP rejection? Does that mainly depend on salary offered? Is it safe to apply for EP these days as I heard the rejections have been increased in this quater.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Permanent jobs in Singapore

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:44 pm

It might help if you posted what it is you do, how long you have been doing it, what your academic qualifications are, and what country you are from.

dicymoon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue, 26 Aug 2014
Location: Singapore

Re: Permanent jobs in Singapore

Postby dicymoon » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:56 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:It might help if you posted what it is you do, how long you have been doing it, what your academic qualifications are, and what country you are from.


Yeah sure. I am working here as senior systems analyst in an IT company for past 3 months.I have completed my Masters.I am from India.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34334
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Permanent jobs in Singapore

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 3:10 pm

dicymoon wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:It might help if you posted what it is you do, how long you have been doing it, what your academic qualifications are, and what country you are from.


Yeah sure. I am working here as senior systems analyst in an IT company for past 3 months.I have completed my Masters.I am from India.



For all intents and purposes, all expats are on contract jobs as they are only as secure as the ability to get and "keep" an EP which is usually granted, most commonly in tranches of 24 months although 12 month EP are becoming more and more common and EP longer than 36 months are as rare as hens teeth and I would guess the holder of these is in an extremely niche position.

It will be also difficult to obtain a position in a field whereas the personnel within that department in a given institution is made up of primarily the same ethnic grouping. It didn't matter much previously, but there has been a pogrom of sorts about "racial enclaves" in certain departments of financial institutions. This usually happens when one of their own manages to become the HR functionary in the organization. Favoritism becomes rampant and it has raised the hackles of the local population to the point that the MOM has to show they are doing something about it.

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012

Re: Permanent jobs in Singapore

Postby Aragorn2000 » Tue, 13 Jan 2015 8:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
dicymoon wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:It might help if you posted what it is you do, how long you have been doing it, what your academic qualifications are, and what country you are from.


Yeah sure. I am working here as senior systems analyst in an IT company for past 3 months.I have completed my Masters.I am from India.



For all intents and purposes, all expats are on contract jobs as they are only as secure as the ability to get and "keep" an EP which is usually granted, most commonly in tranches of 24 months although 12 month EP are becoming more and more common and EP longer than 36 months are as rare as hens teeth and I would guess the holder of these is in an extremely niche position.

It will be also difficult to obtain a position in a field whereas the personnel within that department in a given institution is made up of primarily the same ethnic grouping. It didn't matter much previously, but there has been a pogrom of sorts about "racial enclaves" in certain departments of financial institutions. This usually happens when one of their own manages to become the HR functionary in the organization. Favoritism becomes rampant and it has raised the hackles of the local population to the point that the MOM has to show they are doing something about it.


Wd40 wrote:Is the situation any different in other developed countries? Which country gets the highest number of H1B visas?


x9200 wrote:Indians are well represented in the IT industry (sheer number based) and willing to work for less.


:lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests