Singapore Expats

Paint

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Paint

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 09 Jan 2015 10:25 pm

So I can go into any number of hardware stores in the UK and buy 5 litres of white emulsion paint and it comes in a plastic can. I can use a little and reseal the can store it upside down and 2 months later its good to use and there are no humidity issues anyway.

In singapore with it's insane humidity I can go to a hardware store and buy 5 litres of white emulsion paint and it comes in a metal can. I can use a little and reseal the can store it upside down and 2 months later I have a rusty can which taints the white paint and makes it more or less unusable.

Why?

I cannot find anywhere to buy white emulsion in Singapore in a plastic can. If you know where I can please let me know. If I want a mixed paint (daughter chose candy pink for the feature wall in her bedroom) they put it in a plastic can but the plain vanilla white emulsion all in a metal can. Crazy in this country!!

x9200

Re: Paint

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Jan 2015 6:39 am

I've never seen it sold in plastic cans around but why don't you buy a plastic container separately (or even use PET soft-drink 1.5-2l bottles) and transfer there the paint?

Also, you may just wipe clean the rim of the metal can and the lid before storing it and you should be fine. This is the contact area between these two that gets normally rusty, but frankly, I have never had problem with it even without the wiping. A bit of rust - yes, but it does not go inside.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:24 pm

+1 idea from X9, I hadn't though of that :)

Also if the bottle didn't completely fill, you could squeeze it enough so there was minimal air. (I wonder how long it would thus last?).

I found the issue with steel cans is that if there's rust it's usually around the rim of the lid. So when you re-open it do so carefully, and then task no.1 is usually get all the semi-dry grungy rusty bits off the lid and around the top rim of the can. If you're painting directly from the can, dipping then wiping the brush of the side of the (rusty) can is a major source of rust streaks.

Better not to shake the can before you re-open it. Open it, get the grunge off the lid and side of can, and check the surface of the paint is untainted i.e. no with rusty or dry bits. Then stir it.

Good luck!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Sat, 10 Jan 2015 5:25 pm

Yea, maybe I should buy a plastic container there is very little chance of stopping the rust falling into the can when reopening. I also thought about using cling film before sealing the can that might help.

Just finished sanding down preparing and repainting one of the bathroom door frames due to rust. Damn humidity!!! :x

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”