Singapore Expats Forum

Good stationery stores

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Good stationery stores

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 1:09 pm

JR8 wrote:http://www.tokyu-hands.com.sg/contact/

Jurong West (Westgate) and ... drum-roll ... Orchard Central, the newish mall opp. Centrepoint.

The latter just opened 20/11/14, so I'll have to check it out.

What is the ranking of Japanese supermarkets?

1) Isetan
2) ?
3) ?

There's Tokyo Hands, Meidi-Ya....

Edit to add: I can see a 'Where to shop' topic coming on that could be split into a FAQ post. Complicated in that one might shop at say Isetan, NTUC and wet markets. And that's just for food...

I will check it out. I used to go there to buy Japanese brands that were difficult/impossible to find outside of Japan (like Head Porter), and silly knick-knacks like the themed keychains that played the jingles of the various Yamanote line stations.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Good stationery stores

Postby Brah » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:37 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Where is the Tokyu Hands in Singapore? Is it as big as the one in Shibuya?

Nowhere near. They are about 1/10th the size or smaller than Shibuya, Futako-Tamagawa, or other Hands stores.

I would say, they don't suck, but don't expect a real Hands experience. Disappointing really.

Edit: Let me restate this - the stores now in Singapore are better in some ways than their local counterparts, although a lot of the merchandise is relatively pricey. They offer a good alternative to what already exists.

However when compared with the same store in Japan, they are no match for the scale and variety there.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.