Singapore Expats

Advise for mixed-marriage couple expecting child in SG

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
drytan

Advise for mixed-marriage couple expecting child in SG

Post by drytan » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 2:36 pm

Hi There,

I'm new to this forum and I'm very fortunate to be able to seek advise from all of you who are far more knowledgable and experienced on the topic above.

I'm Indonesian, Singapore PR for over 10 years. My wife is a Singapore citizen by registration (renounced her Indonesia citizenship in 2012). We are expecting our child this year which we would need your advise to clarify few things, based on my understanding after reading thru heaps of related threads:

1. If the child is born in Indonesia, we have 2 options:
a) Apply Indonesian citizenship AND Singapore citizenship by descent overseas. Both would need to renounce either citizenship by 21 yo. If it is a boy, would be obligated to serve NS in the future. If it is a girl, no obligation to serve NS as of current law and constitution.
b) Apply Indonesian citizenship but NOT Singapore citizenship, understanding that he/she would need to apply Singapore citizenship thru PR/citizenship application in the future individually.

2. If the child is born in Singapore, the child will automatically be a Singapore citizen by birth. If we decided to apply Indonesian citizenship, point 1a will kick in.

3. Should we go with point 1b, there may be difficulties in applying student visa, employment pass, PR and citizenship in the future for the child.

4. Should we go with point 1a and would like to defer child's NS due to migrating elsewhere, we would need to follow certain timely protocols. But will my wife need to renounce her Singapore citizenship too?

I appreciate your advise on my understanding above.

Thanks!

dry

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Advise for mixed-marriage couple expecting child in SG

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 4:32 pm

drytan wrote:Hi There,

I'm new to this forum and I'm very fortunate to be able to seek advise from all of you who are far more knowledgable and experienced on the topic above.

I'm Indonesian, Singapore PR for over 10 years. My wife is a Singapore citizen by registration (renounced her Indonesia citizenship in 2012). We are expecting our child this year which we would need your advise to clarify few things, based on my understanding after reading thru heaps of related threads:

1. If the child is born in Indonesia, we have 2 options:
a) Apply Indonesian citizenship AND Singapore citizenship by descent overseas. Both would need to renounce either citizenship by 21 yo. If it is a boy, would be obligated to serve NS in the future. If it is a girl, no obligation to serve NS as of current law and constitution.

If it's a boy, and takes up both Indo and Sing citizenship you will run into problems in the future, if I'm not mistaken, as the boy could lose his Indo citizenship if does Sing NS. It used to be that way, but not sure if it has changes. I believe, if I were you, I'd check into to that as it may colour your thought processes.

b) Apply Indonesian citizenship but NOT Singapore citizenship, understanding that he/she would need to apply Singapore citizenship thru PR/citizenship application in the future individually.

If you go that route, there is a good possibility, again, if it's a boy, that any application would fail either for EP/PR or citizenship if after the age of 21 as it will be obvious to ICA that this route was done to deliberately avoid NS obligations. It might not be you intentions but that's the way they will see it.

2. If the child is born in Singapore, the child will automatically be a Singapore citizen by birth. If we decided to apply Indonesian citizenship, point 1a will kick in.

See my comments under point 1a.

3. Should we go with point 1b, there may be difficulties in applying student visa, employment pass, PR and citizenship in the future for the child.

Fact.

4. Should we go with point 1a and would like to defer child's NS due to migrating elsewhere, we would need to follow certain timely protocols. But will my wife need to renounce her Singapore citizenship too?

Yes and divest herself of any and all ties with Singapore, e.g., HDB housing, CPF, etc. However private property is okay to own.

I appreciate your advise on my understanding above.

Thanks!

dry
sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

drytan

Post by drytan » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:45 pm

Hi SMS,

Thank You for your prompt reply.

I have 1 question in mind which still bugs me.

Should we went with point 1a, which is to take dual citizenship for the child, and defer NS following twith renouncing the child's Singapore citizenship, why would my wife (singapore citizen) be required to renounce her Singapore citizenship too? She will not be holding dual citizenship by then so what is the rationale of forcing her to renounce?

Thank You.

Dry

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:16 am

drytan wrote:Hi SMS,

Thank You for your prompt reply.

I have 1 question in mind which still bugs me.

Should we went with point 1a, which is to take dual citizenship for the child, and defer NS following twith renouncing the child's Singapore citizenship, why would my wife (singapore citizen) be required to renounce her Singapore citizenship too? She will not be holding dual citizenship by then so what is the rationale of forcing her to renounce?

Thank You.

Dry
If you can demonstrate that you have no ties to Singapore to strengthen your application to renounce your child's citizenship, it will be a breeze.

Otherwise MINDEF will wonder why on earth the mother, a naturalised citizen ON TOP OF THAT, would still want to hold unto to what her child and husband considers "not a home anymore", the very basis of why you and your child want to renounce. Then the red flag comes up. And you will have harder time.