Singapore Expats

Recipes

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Recipes

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 12:22 pm

Highly tasty soup... although it might be a bit heavy for Singapore weather.

Kale and White Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium sweet/1015 yellow onion
2 cups fresh kale, chopped to your preference
1 can navy/white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can low sodium diced tomatoes, drained (or not)
1 32 oz container of veggie/chicken broth, low sodium or otherwise
1 quart jar of your favorite marinara sauce… I used Orti de Calbria… tasty stuff… probably anything else just as good
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt, pepper, paprika to taste
(Optional – and I don’t recommend) – one half cup small macaroni

Process

Under medium heat, add olive oil, cook onion until translucent, add ground beef, salt pepper, paprika and cook until ground beef is fully cooked.

If cooking with macaroni, add broth and macaroni, cook for 5 to 7 minutes until macaroni softens. Then, as below.

Combine all other ingredients, bring to almost boil and simmer for 5 minutes on medium high heat until kale is soft.

Serve with croutons or your favorite bread.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 11:04 am

here's my omellete attempt this morning :cool:

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 12:03 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:here's my omellete attempt this morning :cool:

Did that stay in liquid form or?????

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 1:39 pm

well i dont like to flip that so i just cook it for a while until it turns semi solid and then dip bread into it
heaven!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 2:29 pm

I find the best way is to preheat the skillet before putting in the omelette. I also cook it covered with a glass lid until it just starts to "rise" and the sheen disappears from the egg in the centre. The I used a spatula to turn half of the omelette over the other half and slide or life (using a wide spatula) out and place on the plate. Any final cooking of the centre will take place in the few moments after the omelette has been folded in half in the skillet. Work for me. But the lid on the skillet allow the top to start cooking before the bottom becomes too burned. When you take the lid off the omelette after the bubbles cause a rise in the omelette you will notice that the egg immediately subsides. It's my way of an automatic timer as using the glass lid allow you to keep the super-heated air above the egg to help cook. When it starts to rise you will know it's time to fold in half and serve.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 2:56 pm

The past week or so, embedded photos have just displayed as a bordered grey box 1cm*5mm containing the word 'Image'. Clicking on said box does nothing.

Anyone know what might be causing that?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 4:03 pm

something in your settings? not been happening to me at all. Everything in bright glorious colour for me. so not sure. are you using a smart phone? If so you might have the download photos automatically ticked off in order to save data charges. I'm not sure. maybe zzm will pop in to sort you out.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 4:14 pm

Example:

I'm using my desktop, same as usual. Hmmmm ...

p.s. In Preview Post, of this post, it gives me the same 'error' too...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 5:02 pm

Interesting. Can you see your image of the post in your lastest post or do you see that as an "image" box as well? I am assuming that is all you can see. I see the image of the post in photobucket with no problem. Not sure what the problem is. Hopefully one of the IT dudes with log in x9200 or Nak or ZZM?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 5:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Interesting. Can you see your image of the post in your lastest post or do you see that as an "image" box as well? I am assuming that is all you can see. I see the image of the post in photobucket with no problem. Not sure what the problem is. Hopefully one of the IT dudes with log in x9200 or Nak or ZZM?
Actually it's not as long as a week. The last pic I can see is that omelette of mine from 1st April. The more recent pix by RATM yield the error I mentioned.

Actually, good question. I can see the image of mine (quoting him) earlier today, as intended, as I posted it. I.e. RAJMs text, and mine, but with the picture-error thing/icon.

Earlier I tested the 'Image' icon/box thing by clicking on it. On my posts it went and opened the image at Photobucket. For other's pix it did nothing, the cursor didn't even change/activate when I moused over the icon/box.

The previous pix of Lynx's pumpkin soup, and the plate of fried chicken also resolve fine for me it seems.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 6:23 pm

:???:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 7:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote::???:
Looks like it might be a browser issue. Pix have always worked when I use my default browser; Opera. Now they don't, but they do if I browse using Firefox.

Maybe it's as simple as that, I just browse this site using FF in future...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 8:03 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:A Berry well made puff :mrgreen: , basically heated some palm sugar and threw in some strawberries,blackberries and blueberries, wrapped it up and baked it in an oven for 20 mins at 180c
and Bob is now my uncle.
Now I see the images! [using Firefox browser]
Very nice there RAJM. Is that the frozen pre-made puff pastry sheets? If so I've used them for curry puffs, apple strudel, and sausage rolls (and as pie toppings). Your mixed fruit idea is great looking.... warm out of the oven, scoop of vanilla ice cream on top .... mmmm =P~

--I'm a big fan of the frozen PP sheets, they make the complex much simpler.

--Eagle's 'hearty winter soup' sounds great too. So many ideas....

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:09 pm

@JR8 - it's those Borg puff pastry sheets, work like magic those! :mrgreen: gonna make one tomorrow for breakfast :cool:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 04 Apr 2015 1:30 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:@JR8 - it's those Borg puff pastry sheets, work like magic those! :mrgreen: gonna make one tomorrow for breakfast :cool:
Ah yes, that's the same as I've used here. So easy to use :cool:

Meanwhile, I was just reading an article, and posted a link to my FB, thus:

'I was reading an article by Oz Clarke the wine expert, where he reviews a new concept, a bottle made of oak that claims to improve wine. I found his closing point interesting and something that I shall try.
>> 'But there is another trick you can use to improve wine. Simply open your bottle of wine, pour half a glass, screw the top back on (or put in a stopper) and give the bottle a good shake.
This forces oxygen into the wine, loosening the flavours and making it more drinkable. Leave for five minutes before you enjoy. Perfect — and it won’t cost you a penny.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -test.html

[i.e. this involves the original glass bottle the wine comes in, and not the expensive oak one].