Singapore Expats

Tax Clearance and Other Issues.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
dasty

Tax Clearance and Other Issues.

Post by dasty » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 3:23 pm

Hello,

Please forgive me if I am not asking the right questions. I am relatively new to Singapore and the workforce, having been only here since September 2014 doing my first full time job and even so, I have resigned from my current work and will be looking for a new one. I understand that I should have a new work in line before quitting my current one, but circumstances doesn't allow me to do so. I would still like to work in Singapore, and am here seeking for advice.

I have resigned from my work and have returned my Work Permit pass back to the company, after they had filed a cancellation request for my permit. I am about to leave the country, and as I was holding a WP I am only given 7 days to leave the country. The problem here is that my company did not withhold my last month's salary, and as far as I know, I am obliged to pay for the tax clearance when I am leaving the country. The standard procedure according to what I have read is that the company should withhold my salary and pay me the remainder after the tax clearance, but clearly they have not done so as I have received my full salary. I have only been working for 3 months, so I am guessing that I will be paying the flat rate of 15% of my salary.

What should I do now as I do not want to be labelled as a runner and have further issues seeking employment here? Will I be able to get the amount that I have paid out back if I seek further employment in Singapore with another company? And is it possible for me to return to Singapore to seek further opportunities after this? Am I still eligible to apply for STVP or is there anything else that I should do?

Thank you in advance and a reply would be highly appreciated as I would have to leave the country shortly.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tax Clearance and Other Issues.

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 4:56 pm

dasty wrote:Hello,

Please forgive me if I am not asking the right questions. I am relatively new to Singapore and the workforce, having been only here since September 2014 doing my first full time job and even so, I have resigned from my current work and will be looking for a new one. I understand that I should have a new work in line before quitting my current one, but circumstances doesn't allow me to do so. I would still like to work in Singapore, and am here seeking for advice.

I have resigned from my work and have returned my Work Permit pass back to the company, after they had filed a cancellation request for my permit. I am about to leave the country, and as I was holding a WP I am only given 7 days to leave the country. The problem here is that my company did not withhold my last month's salary, and as far as I know, I am obliged to pay for the tax clearance when I am leaving the country. The standard procedure according to what I have read is that the company should withhold my salary and pay me the remainder after the tax clearance, but clearly they have not done so as I have received my full salary. I have only been working for 3 months, so I am guessing that I will be paying the flat rate of 15% of my salary.

What should I do now as I do not want to be labelled as a runner and have further issues seeking employment here? Will I be able to get the amount that I have paid out back if I seek further employment in Singapore with another company? And is it possible for me to return to Singapore to seek further opportunities after this? Am I still eligible to apply for STVP or is there anything else that I should do?

Thank you in advance and a reply would be highly appreciated as I would have to leave the country shortly.
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page.aspx?id=11538
At the foot of the linked page is a tax calculator.
Good luck!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard