Singapore Expats

Flying back into Changi before I get my IPA letter?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Rob_35

Flying back into Changi before I get my IPA letter?

Post by Rob_35 » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 3:40 am

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can advise on my situation?

I have been working in Singapore for the last 2 years but recently lost my job and my notice period ended on December 23rd.

Thankfully, I verbally accepted an offer with another company just before I flew out of Singapore on December 22nd (last day taken as holiday) on a pre-booked trip to Europe that I had booked back in October.

My Employment Pass has now been cancelled in December by my previous company and the new company is going to apply for a new EP for me this week.

Hence I am about to fly back into Singapore on Monday but with my previous EP has been cancelled and I don't have the new IPA letter yet from the new company.

I'm confident a new EP will be granted but this leaves me in a weird situation at the airport when I go through immigration now.

Can anyone please advise as to how best get through immigration without an IPA? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Rob

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Flying back into Changi before I get my IPA letter?

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 5:05 am

Bog standard tourist visa?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:32 am

Are you entitled to arrival visa ?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:52 am

There was another Rob here RobSg I think, for a moment I thought he is coming out of retirement looking for a job in Singapore :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 3:36 pm

I was looking for conditions attached to the visa on arrival, but drew a blank on it being spelled out in black and white (neither does it appear on 'IMM-27E' the white SVP arrivals card). I suppose common sense would suggest that it is for a 'social visit' rather than say employment. IMO returning to SG to await issuance of an EP would fall under that category.

For instance, I am on an LTVP, and was on an LTVP during my previous stint here too. But before that was issued I arrived in the country the LTVP wasn't confirmed/issued, and I landed at Changi and got an SVP.

Furthermore, on the last occasion, I had to subsequently extend my SVP online, despite by then having my LTVP 'approved in principle', simply because I couldn't get an e-appointment soon enough to 'complete formalities' prior to my original SVP on arrival expiring. The latter suggests to me that 'awaiting issuance of a residency status visa' is an officially recognised valid ground for seeking an SVP.

See also:
'VISA APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY INTO SINGAPORE FOR UK AND IRELAND
British and Irish passport holders do not require visas to visit Singapore for a stay of less than one month, if they have a passport valid for at least 6 months upon entry, a confirmed onward return ticket and sufficient funds for their stay in Singapore.

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/overs ... ments.html

And note that on neither occasion did I have a confirmed onward return ticket. But then at the airport I was dressed smart/casual rather than as a beach bum or tramp.

The IMM-27E card references the Immigration Act (Chapter 133) Immigration Regulations Regulation 32 (2)
You can find the first one here, http://statutes.agc.gov.sg . I suspect that the second part (i.e. 'Immigration Regulations Regulation 32 (2)' ), is a stand-alone code or set of regulations that might yield more than the former dry statute. Try Googling that and see if you can find anything...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:32 am

To the OP: you simply come back to Singapore on a social visa pass. Just make sure you don't start work until you get your EP.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 2:54 pm

Addadude wrote:To the OP: you simply come back to Singapore on a social visa pass. Just make sure you don't start work until you get your EP.
I believe the previous rule, of you being able to work once you got your IPA, while waiting for the EP to be couriered to you, still applies.

Can somebody clarify that bit ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 4:37 pm

I believe it will tell you on the IPA if you can work or not while waiting for issuance. Although that might have changed, but I'm not sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers