Singapore Expats Forum

Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

sl.jovanovski
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 24 Dec 2014

Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby sl.jovanovski » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 6:42 pm

Hi,

I'm kinda new at this forum, I'm from Macedonia, Europe and I'm planning to come and visit Singapore next summer and also I was looking for a job there and maybe move there if there's a possibility of that.

I'm 25 years old and I'm working as a Web Developer (C#, MVC, etc..), I have 3+ years of experience so I'm trying to find a job there and I was wondering if anyone can help me and tell me more about job opportunities there and life in Singapore.

Thank you

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby the lynx » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 10:15 am

sl.jovanovski wrote:Hi,

I'm kinda new at this forum, I'm from Macedonia, Europe and I'm planning to come and visit Singapore next summer and also I was looking for a job there and maybe move there if there's a possibility of that.

I'm 25 years old and I'm working as a Web Developer (C#, MVC, etc..), I have 3+ years of experience so I'm trying to find a job there and I was wondering if anyone can help me and tell me more about job opportunities there and life in Singapore.

Thank you


Summary:

Life in Singapore can be very expensive and very cheap. It can be cheap if you live/eat like a local (share a HDB flat, eat noodles, walk/take public transportation). It can be very expensive if you live/eat like a Westerner (rent an entire condo for yourself, eat steak, own car/motorcycle).

Things are expensive in Singapore for those who are here as tourists. Hotels especially.

Job opportunities in Singapore is biased against foreigners. Hiring is based on locals-first policy. Web development is an industry with cheaper local/regional labour that is dime a dozen. You will face fierce competition that will force you to lower your salary negotiation just to clinch that job. Even if you do get, the ministry will very likely reject your employer's visa application for you due to the above reasons. Perhaps connections to reputable MNCs will help, I don't know.

My advice, come to visit and network. But don't put too much hope. Have Plan B if you insist to stay to look for job.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:19 am

I think you will find better opportunities in other developed parts of Europe. like London, than in Singapore.
In Singapore, you will have to compete against Indians and Filipinos, will be ready to work for peanuts.

sl.jovanovski
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 24 Dec 2014

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby sl.jovanovski » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 7:33 pm

the lynx wrote:
sl.jovanovski wrote:Hi,

I'm kinda new at this forum, I'm from Macedonia, Europe and I'm planning to come and visit Singapore next summer and also I was looking for a job there and maybe move there if there's a possibility of that.

I'm 25 years old and I'm working as a Web Developer (C#, MVC, etc..), I have 3+ years of experience so I'm trying to find a job there and I was wondering if anyone can help me and tell me more about job opportunities there and life in Singapore.

Thank you


Summary:

Life in Singapore can be very expensive and very cheap. It can be cheap if you live/eat like a local (share a HDB flat, eat noodles, walk/take public transportation). It can be very expensive if you live/eat like a Westerner (rent an entire condo for yourself, eat steak, own car/motorcycle).

Things are expensive in Singapore for those who are here as tourists. Hotels especially.

Job opportunities in Singapore is biased against foreigners. Hiring is based on locals-first policy. Web development is an industry with cheaper local/regional labour that is dime a dozen. You will face fierce competition that will force you to lower your salary negotiation just to clinch that job. Even if you do get, the ministry will very likely reject your employer's visa application for you due to the above reasons. Perhaps connections to reputable MNCs will help, I don't know.

My advice, come to visit and network. But don't put too much hope. Have Plan B if you insist to stay to look for job.


Thank you for your reply.

I know that it's pretty hard to find a job there right now because of that the hiring is based on locals-first policy now and I also read about the new law that they've voted in August this year 2014 and of course there is a lot of competition especially from India.

But as you say I should come and visit first and of course I'm not putting that much hope but at the same time I guess if I don't try I'll never know, right? :)

However, the life in Singapore I know is expensive but I'm not planing to live like a Westerner so I'll do my best to find something that will keep me survived while I'm there. :)

Thank you for your explanation about everyhing, I really do appreciate that.

Wd40 wrote:
I think you will find better opportunities in other developed parts of Europe. like London, than in Singapore.
In Singapore, you will have to compete against Indians and Filipinos, will be ready to work for peanuts.


And Wd40, I know that in Europe I can also try to find something, as you're saying London or I don't know maybe Germany, Norway...etc.. But for now, I'm only interested in Singapore and beside that I see Singapore as an ideal place for my professional growth I also have some personal reasons for coming there :).

You're also right about the Inians and Filipinos but sometimes I guess it's not only about how much money you'll pay for some product it's about the quaility too, right? :)

However, thank you for your reply too. That was really nice of you and I appreciate that.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby the lynx » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 9:10 am

sl.jovanovski wrote:You're also right about the Indians and Filipinos but sometimes I guess it's not only about how much money you'll pay for some product it's about the quaility too, right? :)


This is Asia, where people try to go as cheap as possible. Just because you have Asians doing web dev for cheaper cost in comparison to say, Westerners, it doesn't mean the quality is bad. I have seen really remarkable work done by them, even though their salary is cheap. It only means that their cheapskate employers take advantage of them and wring them as dry as possible.

However the adage that you pay peanuts, you get monkeys still stand in general sense.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 9:21 am

I agree with Lynx, your skills too are some of the most common here. If you were niche like C++, then you have advantage. Also banks usually look for people with 5-10 yrs exp. With 3 yrs exp you will have to contend with other lower paying sectors or SMEs.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby x9200 » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 9:58 am

sl.jovanovski wrote:But as you say I should come and visit first and of course I'm not putting that much hope but at the same time I guess if I don't try I'll never know, right? :)


Wrong. Also a wrong approach. You can jeopardize you career this way. It would be much, much better if you follow the advices of finding some better job first in Europe (yes, MNC preferred), gain some broader skills, more experience and only after it come over here. Frankly, I doubt you will get a work pass of any sort.

sl.jovanovski wrote:I also have some personal reasons for coming there :).

So say this first because this is probably the only valid and making some sense reason for all you have mentioned.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 10:42 am

x9200 wrote:
sl.jovanovski wrote:I also have some personal reasons for coming there :).

So say this first because this is probably the only valid and making some sense reason for all you have mentioned.


Agreed this is the only thing that's been posted that validates all the postings.

The skills the guy has are "ten a penny" in this part of the world , but as they say if you don't buy a ticket you cant win the raffle.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sl.jovanovski
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 24 Dec 2014

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby sl.jovanovski » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 4:10 pm

First of all, thank you all for giving me advices and telling me more about life in Singapore and job opportunities.

Of course the main reason for me going there are my personal reasons but I was thinking since I'm going there already then why wouldn't I at least try to find something. I never said that I will find a job there for sure and I know that my skills aren't the best that there are probably like 10 000 people or maybe more who have the same skills as I do or better and they are locals but even If I fail, which is 99% true, at least I would spend a great holiday and I would say that I tried, right?

the lynx wrote:This is Asia, where people try to go as cheap as possible. Just because you have Asians doing web dev for cheaper cost in comparison to say, Westerners, it doesn't mean the quality is bad. I have seen really remarkable work done by them, even though their salary is cheap. It only means that their cheapskate employers take advantage of them and wring them as dry as possible.

However the adage that you pay peanuts, you get monkeys still stand in general sense.


I know that's Asia an that peolpe work for a really low salary just to survive, not everyone but a lot of them but I'm from Macedonia as I said, it's not a bad country but the world is putting us in the same bucket as Indians, Chinese..etc. Sorry if someone got offended but that's the truth. So I really don't mind to start from a low salary.

And about my career, yeah, I know it might be jeopardized as you say but you never know what's behind from a closed door, right?

Again, thank you all for every comment/reply I really appreciate that.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 8:18 pm

I don't think too many people in the world even know where Macedonia is so don't worry :) I had to look it up, I was thinking its a former USSR territory :)

sl.jovanovski
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 24 Dec 2014

Re: Finding a job in Singapore and moving there

Postby sl.jovanovski » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 10:11 pm

Wd40 wrote:I don't think too many people in the world even know where Macedonia is so don't worry :) I had to look it up, I was thinking its a former USSR territory :)

I know, right? :) It's not a famous country and it's pretty far from Singapore but I don't really care about the distance.
Happy new year people from this post, stay hungry, stay foolish next year too. :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests