Singapore Expats

Using a US TV in Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
premht

Using a US TV in Singapore

Post by premht » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 3:47 pm

I have a 55 inch flat screen LED LCD LG TV. The voltage is 110V , 50-60 Hz. The specifications indicate power consumption of 160W / 1.6 A . I bought it in the US about 2 years ago. I have recently moved to Singapore and have star hub. Before I connect this to the TV set, i wondered what precautions I should take.

I suppose I should get a transformer in the first instance but there are various watts in the market. Reading on these post some seem to recommend that i use a 1000 - 2000W converter. Is that necessary ? As my TV manual states the the power consumption is 160 watts, can i simple get a 250 watt transformer ?

I will be using a HDMI cable and port to connect to the star hub box. I presume that i will not need any further converters in addition to that ?

Would be grateful for some advice. Thanks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Using a US TV in Singapore

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 4:57 pm

Get 1000-2000w as recommended or you're going to burn out the transformer and possibly the TV. No transformer is really designed for long sustained operations. They're much better in short bursts.

Good luck, you may find yourself buying a local TV soon. I just relocated back and the one thing I did was go to Costco and buy the best TV they had that did 110-240v. :)

premht

Post by premht » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:06 pm

Thank you for the useful advice.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 7:12 am

There is a distinct possibility that your TV will not work with HDMI in Singapore. Although the resolution specs are the same for HDMI worldwide, the framerates are not the same... still 50 fps for everything but the USA and 60 fps for the USA... in order to maintain compatibility with PAL and NTSC signals.

It has been my experience that most international TV's can handle both 50 and 60 fps framerates but USA TV's, especially those with only 110 volt power supplies may only handle 60 fps and therefore will not work in Singapore. I do recall quite an old thread here where a fellow plugged his USA TV into his Starhub box, only to discover it did nothing.

You need to publish a link to the exact owners manual for your model of TV so we can see exactly what standards your TV supports.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:47 am

Strong Eagle wrote:There is a distinct possibility that your TV will not work with HDMI in Singapore. Although the resolution specs are the same for HDMI worldwide, the framerates are not the same... still 50 fps for everything but the USA and 60 fps for the USA... in order to maintain compatibility with PAL and NTSC signals.

It has been my experience that most international TV's can handle both 50 and 60 fps framerates but USA TV's, especially those with only 110 volt power supplies may only handle 60 fps and therefore will not work in Singapore. I do recall quite an old thread here where a fellow plugged his USA TV into his Starhub box, only to discover it did nothing.

You need to publish a link to the exact owners manual for your model of TV so we can see exactly what standards your TV supports.
I have a TV from the states, an LG 47 inch that I bought mid 2012. Plugged it into the starhub box HDMI and have never had an issue. Fortunately it's 100-240v capable, which helps a lot. I'd guess the big manufacturers like LG and Samsung make most components the same for everywhere, with just the tuners being unique for a given location.

TT

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:21 pm

Tanuki wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:There is a distinct possibility that your TV will not work with HDMI in Singapore. Although the resolution specs are the same for HDMI worldwide, the framerates are not the same... still 50 fps for everything but the USA and 60 fps for the USA... in order to maintain compatibility with PAL and NTSC signals.

I have a TV from the states, an LG 47 inch that I bought mid 2012. Plugged it into the starhub box HDMI and have never had an issue. Fortunately it's 100-240v capable, which helps a lot. I'd guess the big manufacturers like LG and Samsung make most components the same for everywhere, with just the tuners being unique for a given location.

TT
The 55" I just bought is also an LG. I looked at almost every TV at Costco two months ago and most were not 110-240v. Every Samsung I checked was actually only 110v. Even the 4k LGs, or I would have had one of those. The only other TV that was 110-240 was a 47" Sony that used a laptop-style power brick. You really have to look behind the actual TV to know for sure.

premht

Post by premht » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:12 pm

Hi zzm9980

Thanks for the post. I actually have the manual with me. The model number is LG55LM6700
The manual seems to be a generic manual for a number of different models with similar features. The manual states that the Current value / power consumption is 1.6A / 160W. It actually makes no mention of the voltage. But looking at the back of the TV, it clearly states that the voltage is 120V with 50-60Hz and 1.2A

There is a discrepancy between the both but I am guessing the print at the back of the TV is the accurate description. I have tried looking for an online link to the manual from the US with no joy.

Will probably get a 1000W transformer and try my luck

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 26 Dec 2014 6:01 pm

That's the exact problem with TVs. You'll often find a generic model number like yours then realize there are sub models where the only difference is the firmware (languages in the menu) and power supply.