Singapore Expats Forum
 

Your favourite Christmas song?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 9:52 am

For me it has to be Slade. I have played it 100's of times and it still makes me laugh on Christmas Day.

Does he ride a red nose reindeer, does he turn upon his sleigh, do the fairies keep him sober for a day :-D

What will your daddy do when he sees your momma kissing Santa Claus oohhhhh :D

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Brah » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:09 am

Nothing newer than the 50s and done by only the Ray Coniff singers, resplendent in their glorious and syrupy reverb.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 5:20 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:33 am

The Pogues - Fairytales
and believe it or not - Wham Last Christmas, I know cheesy but its Christmas, its got to be done :shock:

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Brah » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:43 am

Brah wrote:Nothing newer than the 50s and done by only the Ray Coniff singers, resplendent in their glorious and syrupy reverb.
I take that back

Emerson Lake & Palmer - I Believe in Father Christmas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_BCYYK2H0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, Santa... pass us that bottle, will ya?
Jethro Tull - Christmas song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdalBvgNAxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both in response to the commercialism that has become what is Christmas today.

Interestingly enough, while searching YT for these, came up with the two of them performing together, sans walls of Moog but still Lake's velvet voice, never saw this until now:
I believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake - Ian Anderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqwqknq7nuI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Brah » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:57 am

Brah wrote:
Brah wrote:Nothing newer than the 50s and done by only the Ray Coniff singers, resplendent in their glorious and syrupy reverb.
From simpler days long gone by

Ray Conniff Singers - Winter Wonderland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9mxG4 ... uu&index=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ring Christmas Bells (Carol Of The Bells) - Ray Conniff Singers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQBpmaIRaiU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

User avatar
chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 7:53 pm
Location: a harbour in front

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by chris_pilgrim » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 7:51 pm

Merry Christmas, Darling - The Carpenters
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 9:53 pm

Steve1960 wrote:For me it has to be Slade. I have played it 100's of times and it still makes me laugh on Christmas Day.
Does he ride a red nose reindeer, does he turn upon his sleigh, do the fairies keep him sober for a day :-D
What will your daddy do when he sees your momma kissing Santa Claus oohhhhh :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgwTe01kMU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hehehe.... everything pre-recorded, even the Lead Guitar (Noddy Holder) doesn't bother pretending to play for half the track. Then at the end the drummer comes in live and starts 'giving it some'.... :lol:
No soppy mawkish nonsense, just a lot of fun. No wonder that track has stood the test of time and 40 years later is something of a fun Christmas party anthem...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 10:04 pm

Brah wrote:Jethro Tull - Christmas song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdalBvgNAxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both in response to the commercialism that has become what is Christmas today.
Wonderful, thanks for posting. Haven't heard that for so long. It ... ... er, literally started making my hair stand on end (if that makes sense). I suppose it resonates that much...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9543
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:01 pm

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote:Jethro Tull - Christmas song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdalBvgNAxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both in response to the commercialism that has become what is Christmas today.
Wonderful, thanks for posting. Haven't heard that for so long. It ... ... er, literally started making my hair stand on end (if that makes sense). I suppose it resonates that much...
The other one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPwVGGIJgtE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is played together with the usual carol pulp in the Cold Storages.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Brah » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:36 pm

Noddy Holder - that's a name I hadn't heard for ages, haven't checked the clip yet I IIRC he was in Slade, I had Sladist back in the early 70s, great album.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by nanana » Fri, 26 Dec 2014 9:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my personal favourite...is mariah carey the original singer?

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Brah » Fri, 26 Dec 2014 10:12 pm

Brah wrote:Noddy Holder - that's a name I hadn't heard for ages, haven't checked the clip yet I IIRC he was in Slade, I had Sladist back in the early 70s, great album.
I can confirm this now.

Posted two songs from that album in the Music thread.

Funny how so many hits that didn't make it so big when they came out, when reincarnated, are never as good as the originals. There are many cases of this. For the Music thread.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 27 Dec 2014 5:22 am

Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8338
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Your favourite Christmas song?

Post by nakatago » Sat, 27 Dec 2014 6:53 am

It's right up there with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2oPio60mK4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But nothing like Sir Christopher Lee

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests