Singapore Expats Forum

It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
MrBear
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2008
Location: Bedok

It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby MrBear » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:31 am

MrBear wrote:Myself and my wife are in the process of adding our first child to our family. We came to Singapore from Hong Kong in May 2010 and I was on EP for first year then switched to PEP. I'm now thinking I would like to start the process for applying to go PR as I would like to confirm this as my home and bring up my child here.

Me – 35, Irish, working in IT for 19 years, now a multi functional role same company 7 years, education 8 GCSE wage 8k PM married 6 years
Wife – 34, Filipino, not working, diploma in business.

I'm a bit worried that my lack of qualifications might have a down side to my application but I'm hoping the experience might help with that.

Do you guy & girls think that we would stand a chance of getting approved or are we better waiting until after the birth and applying then as a whole family or does that even make a difference?

Thanks

MrB
:-|


This was my first post to an old thread which was followed up with the reply of your are welcome to stay until your pass run out. I will admit I was a little down from hearing that but now a few years on I'm thinking of applying again. Some small updates.

PEP - expires end of year as I missed the $144k :( so applying for EP.

When we filled in forms last time my wife wrote Asian as race but was told to correct it to Pinoy, at the time I thought this sounded very strange as that is not a race more a nationality. Any how we have since gone back to her mother and pestered her for information about her father and all we got was a name and that he is German (not been seen for 35 yeas by mother). Do you think that will be accepted for stating race as Eurasian or will it just look strange when they look at the past application?

I'm still with same company so now 9.5 years.

We also have a little girl (2yr) on an Irish passport.

So other than the question about changing wife's Race on forms do you think the timing will matter, should I do right away or wait until after my new EP for 3/6 months?

any other thoughts?

Cheers and Happy Xmas to all.

MrB
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:45 am

MrBear wrote:
MrBear wrote:Myself and my wife are in the process of adding our first child to our family. We came to Singapore from Hong Kong in May 2010 and I was on EP for first year then switched to PEP. I'm now thinking I would like to start the process for applying to go PR as I would like to confirm this as my home and bring up my child here.

Me – 35, Irish, working in IT for 19 years, now a multi functional role same company 7 years, education 8 GCSE wage 8k PM married 6 years
Wife – 34, Filipino, not working, diploma in business.

I'm a bit worried that my lack of qualifications might have a down side to my application but I'm hoping the experience might help with that.

Do you guy & girls think that we would stand a chance of getting approved or are we better waiting until after the birth and applying then as a whole family or does that even make a difference?

Thanks

MrB
:-|


This was my first post to an old thread which was followed up with the reply of your are welcome to stay until your pass run out. I will admit I was a little down from hearing that but now a few years on I'm thinking of applying again. Some small updates.

PEP - expires end of year as I missed the $144k :( so applying for EP.

When we filled in forms last time my wife wrote Asian as race but was told to correct it to Pinoy, at the time I thought this sounded very strange as that is not a race more a nationality. Any how we have since gone back to her mother and pestered her for information about her father and all we got was a name and that he is German (not been seen for 35 yeas by mother). Do you think that will be accepted for stating race as Eurasian or will it just look strange when they look at the past application?

I'm still with same company so now 9.5 years.

We also have a little girl (2yr) on an Irish passport.

So other than the question about changing wife's Race on forms do you think the timing will matter, should I do right away or wait until after my new EP for 3/6 months?

any other thoughts?

Cheers and Happy Xmas to all.

MrB


When was your last rejection? You have not provided any details about it. It will be good if u have stayed in SG for 4-5 years in total and then apply again. Also, it is good to wait for 1.5-2 years before you reapply for the PR after the rejection date.

User avatar
MrBear
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2008
Location: Bedok

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby MrBear » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:57 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
When was your last rejection? You have not provided any details about it. It will be good if u have stayed in SG for 4-5 years in total and then apply again. Also, it is good to wait for 1.5-2 years before you reapply for the PR after the rejection date.


Hi SF,

Last application was Aug '12, rejection was Apr '13, letter did not offer reapply. So I'm in the range of 1.5 - 2 years if I apply now, with standard 6 month wait that will put me over the two years between applications and in to the 5yr total stay as we landed SG in May '10.

thanks
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:39 am

MrBear wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
When was your last rejection? You have not provided any details about it. It will be good if u have stayed in SG for 4-5 years in total and then apply again. Also, it is good to wait for 1.5-2 years before you reapply for the PR after the rejection date.


Hi SF,

Last application was Aug '12, rejection was Apr '13, letter did not offer reapply. So I'm in the range of 1.5 - 2 years if I apply now, with standard 6 month wait that will put me over the two years between applications and in to the 5yr total stay as we landed SG in May '10.

thanks


I guess that you have made up your mind to apply and just wanted us to say yes-please apply? because if u read my reply earlier I said it would be better to apply after 4-5 years, but you say that you will be completing 5 years after the 6 month wait after submitting the application. Is it better to wait a bit more and then reapply? Anyway Good Luck !

User avatar
MrBear
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2008
Location: Bedok

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby MrBear » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 1:38 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:I guess that you have made up your mind to apply and just wanted us to say yes-please apply? because if u read my reply earlier I said it would be better to apply after 4-5 years, but you say that you will be completing 5 years after the 6 month wait after submitting the application. Is it better to wait a bit more and then reapply? Anyway Good Luck !


SF,

Sorry if I wrote that wrong, I have not made up my mind. What I was trying to say is IF I submitted it today I would be on 4.5 year and by the time I got the interview it would be 5 years so would fall in your recommended time frame.

Truth be told I was more worried about the PEP ending and then switching to an EP is it makes sense to do at the same time or wait some more, I'm not sure what is the best way with the PEP ending.

i.e PEP end's switch to EP for 1-2 year then apply for PR or PEP ends switch to EP and submit PR application same time.

Timing aside, do you foresee any issue with the deceleration of my wife's race changing?

Thanks for your advise I am listening even if my keyboard skills make you think otherwise.

MrB
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 2:05 pm

MrBear wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:I guess that you have made up your mind to apply and just wanted us to say yes-please apply? because if u read my reply earlier I said it would be better to apply after 4-5 years, but you say that you will be completing 5 years after the 6 month wait after submitting the application. Is it better to wait a bit more and then reapply? Anyway Good Luck !


SF,

Sorry if I wrote that wrong, I have not made up my mind. What I was trying to say is IF I submitted it today I would be on 4.5 year and by the time I got the interview it would be 5 years so would fall in your recommended time frame.

Truth be told I was more worried about the PEP ending and then switching to an EP is it makes sense to do at the same time or wait some more, I'm not sure what is the best way with the PEP ending.

i.e PEP end's switch to EP for 1-2 year then apply for PR or PEP ends switch to EP and submit PR application same time.

Timing aside, do you foresee any issue with the deceleration of my wife's race changing?

Thanks for your advise I am listening even if my keyboard skills make you think otherwise.

MrB


I feel it is better to apply after you are on EP for a while (atleast 6+ months after you change from your PEP).

Just my 2 cents, if some major part of the details that you provided earlier, is suddenly changing in the second application, it is better to explain to them on why you are changing that.

User avatar
MrBear
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2008
Location: Bedok

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby MrBear » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 2:14 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:I feel it is better to apply after you are on EP for a while (atleast 6+ months after you change from your PEP).

Just my 2 cents, if some major part of the details that you provided earlier, is suddenly changing in the second application, it is better to explain to them on why you are changing that.


Cheers, Unless anyone else gives a reason I don't see why waiting is not the best approach.

I'll note in the side letter I write explaining why the change.

thanks again.
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 3:20 pm

Good luck with your application. I feel you are going to need it.

My reasoning.....

The biggest change to your current situation is that you are losing your PEP. They have already said "you are welcome to stay and work on your EP/PEP" (PEP or EP). As it is, you took up PEP and are now losing it. Your wife's race/nationality will be of little to no bearing on the outcome. While you can claim she is Eurasian, she won't be in ICA's eyes. Anybody else doesn't compute in their eyes as they have there own myopic definitions.
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Education/ ... 03492.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_in_Singapore
http://www.fom.sg/Passage/2012/03eurasians.pdf

A huge portion of "Pinoys", to use your term, are already mixed with Spanish blood so that doesn't really mean anything either as technically they all are Eurasians but diluted as is the case after several generations. Eurasians are not a single generational thing.

Your daughter will not make any difference as she will not be considered as future cannon fodder for the military in any case. So, personally, I think it is going to be more of the same. But one thing is for certain. If you don't try again, the answer is no, full stop. If you do reapply the answer will probably still be no, but there is still the possibility of a yes. So I would go into it with my eyes wide open and also working seriously on a plan b, as it were.

User avatar
MrBear
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed, 20 Aug 2008
Location: Bedok

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby MrBear » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 3:55 pm

SMS, that's roughly what I had been thinking but you hit the nail on the head by saying not trying will confirm its a No as where trying might give a slither of a yes.

Thanks for your input, I think trying to chance wife's race might cause more hassle than its worth.

MrB
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5421
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 5:07 pm

MrBear wrote:SMS, that's roughly what I had been thinking but you hit the nail on the head by saying not trying will confirm its a No as where trying might give a slither of a yes.

Thanks for your input, I think trying to chance wife's race might cause more hassle than its worth.

MrB



Good luck. If you have employable skills here you can easily work here until retirement on the various work passes while you pay off a mansion back in the PI. It's not that bad a deal really. At least you can take up PI citizenship almost instantly via your wife.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 5:31 pm

Especially if you have been socking away, say the equivalent of what the CPF contributions would have been amounting to, or putting it into an SRS account.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: It's that time again - thoughts of applying for PR

Postby taxico » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:30 pm

MrBear wrote:SMS, that's roughly what I had been thinking but you hit the nail on the head by saying not trying will confirm its a No as where trying might give a slither of a yes.


if you're gonna do it, you might want to consider timing your application rather than just submitting it out of... "need."

who knows, by then something might change in your profile that would make them accept your app.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest