Singapore Expats

Shoplifting record few years back can apply Spass?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Shoplifting record few years back can apply Spass?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 6:39 am

Then if only a warning was issued, it shouldn't have been entered on your record so you should be okay.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Then if only a warning was issued, it shouldn't have been entered on your record so you should be okay.
I find it confusing. As I read it the OP was charged, bailed, but then the charges were dropped before it went to court.

Do charges show on a SGn criminal record, or just convictions?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:48 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Then if only a warning was issued, it shouldn't have been entered on your record so you should be okay.
I find it confusing. As I read it the OP was charged, bailed, but then the charges were dropped before it went to court.

Do charges show on a SGn criminal record, or just convictions?

No one (serious) actually knows... but I know for certain that there are multiple agencies who can pull up histories of all your interactions with the local constabulary - regardless of whether a conviction is recorded or not. Remember the cops here are still operating under "emergency powers" legislation....that miraculously is renewed every year or so since 1965....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:51 am

Ya but After on bail i met My IO at police station , i was given warning only and told if it happened again i would face worse. :(
ok - sounds like the AGC decided either to not prosecute or allowed the IO to drop the case.... however as per my previous post this does not mean that MOM doesn't know about the case... from what I can tell - in Singapore the cops and other government agencies can pull up a record of your interactions with the police.... you basically still have a record even without a conviction.

oliver191

Post by oliver191 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 12:52 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Ya but After on bail i met My IO at police station , i was given warning only and told if it happened again i would face worse. :(
ok - sounds like the AGC decided either to not prosecute or allowed the IO to drop the case.... however as per my previous post this does not mean that MOM doesn't know about the case... from what I can tell - in Singapore the cops and other government agencies can pull up a record of your interactions with the police.... you basically still have a record even without a conviction.
yes they have a record but i want to know does the record spent after few year can apply for work etc..
as my record was minor offence.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 2:00 pm

if you don't have a criminal record, how does it get spent? (5 years, in the case of singapore)

many moons and decades ago, i was a teenager and twice hauled into the freezing shipping container CCB offices located at the old eu tong sen police station - for an "alleged" online intrusion.

as there was no computer misuse act in singapore back then, i could not be charged for any offense and was released each time after many hours in the box, much to the chagrin/annoyance of the IO and his young ASP. they couldn't even issue me a warning as i had not technically broken any law.

but as recently as a few years back, i was asked by a (non-MHA) senior ministry staff for more details of what i was investigated by CID for when i was younger (CCB was part of CID back then) during my 3rd interview.

so... if there's no criminal record... how does it get spent?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

oliver191

Post by oliver191 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 3:57 pm

taxico wrote:if you don't have a criminal record, how does it get spent? (5 years, in the case of singapore)

many moons and decades ago, i was a teenager and twice hauled into the freezing shipping container CCB offices located at the old eu tong sen police station - for an "alleged" online intrusion.

as there was no computer misuse act in singapore back then, i could not be charged for any offense and was released each time after many hours in the box, much to the chagrin/annoyance of the IO and his young ASP. they couldn't even issue me a warning as i had not technically broken any law.

but as recently as a few years back, i was asked by a (non-MHA) senior ministry staff for more details of what i was investigated by CID for when i was younger (CCB was part of CID back then) during my 3rd interview.

so... if there's no criminal record... how does it get spent?
i didn't said i have no criminal record , else its a minor crime not like murder or terrorist etc. i mean if there is record so does it become spent.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 4:08 pm

oliver191 wrote:I have graduated in Accounting field and also have experience, employer is interested in my skills , also last time my application was rejected more than 2 times. ](*,)
When you applied and were rejected more than two times was there a reason given? Was the rejections after the arrest for shoplifting? If so, try one more time. If rejected. Forget it. You've screwed yourself in a moment of greed and it is going to follow you forever.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chanwbkenneth

Post by chanwbkenneth » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 4:34 pm

Yeah, don't bother.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 4:57 pm

chanwbkenneth wrote:Yeah, don't bother.
Okay regulars, let's play "spot the local xenophobic". :roll:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 5:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Okay regulars, let's play "spot the local xenophobic". :roll:
Indeed, he's in the wrong place.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

chanwbkenneth

Post by chanwbkenneth » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 5:06 pm

Look whose the judgmental one now. HAHAHAHA. I'm writing from personal experience - I use to apply SPass for my employees previously and even without a bad track record it is pretty darn hard to get it approved.

oliver191

Post by oliver191 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 6:36 pm

Ya i forget get O:)

oliver191

Post by oliver191 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 6:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
oliver191 wrote:I have graduated in Accounting field and also have experience, employer is interested in my skills , also last time my application was rejected more than 2 times. ](*,)
When you applied and were rejected more than two times was there a reason given? Was the rejections after the arrest for shoplifting? If so, try one more time. If rejected. Forget it. You've screwed yourself in a moment of greed and it is going to follow you forever.
yes applied after it you are right it is following forever.. :shock:

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:36 am

OP - why not request a copy of your 'criminal record' in Singapore. There are some posts around that show how to do it.

It might provide some illumination.