Singapore Expats Forum

Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
Post Reply
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Singapore

Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by GSM8 » Sat, 20 Dec 2014 2:16 pm

I live in Singapore and thinking of driving into Malaysia (Kluang/ Batu Pahat) for the weekend. There seem to be 2 options:
option 1. Rent a car in Singapore and drive into Malaysia - rental is sgd 130 for 2 days, with car from "major provider inside Changi airport" as the discounter website said.
option 2. Take a bus from Queens bus station into JB and and rent a car on the main street there - apprx 100 sgd for 2 days.

Since there will be 4 adults, option 1 seems more convenient, but I saw from google that there are various fees/tolls (both at Causeway and Tuas) on the Singapore side, plus ERP if straying into CBD, all that have to be paid only with a "car registration specific" Autopass and in-vehicle unit. Does anyone know if rental cars from major providers in Changi come with these devices pre-installed so renters can just pay usage charges? Apart from that does anyone have experience with whether it is possible and/or practical to drive a Singapore rental car into Malaysia?

Once on the Malaysia side it seems much simpler with both cash or Touch'nGo stored value cards accepted. And this is all that will need to be dealt with if renting in JB.

Thoughts and/or experience on pros/cons of above options appreciated.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by taxico » Sat, 20 Dec 2014 3:00 pm

i would think all singapore rental cars have an in-car unit - i wouldn't worry about it, as you can surely specify this before inking the agreement.

autopass is a card for use in singapore by a non-singapore-registered vehicle. so don't worry about that.

in any case, if you lack an in-car unit (eg, vintage/classic car), just avoid CBD and expressways. elsewhere, you can make payment by cash card without the IU (eg, insert cashcard at tuas/woodlands checkpoint, similar to the touch n go card...).

make sure your rental car insurance covers your use of the vehicle in malaysia. some don't.

have fun!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6511
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 1:12 pm

If it's a Singapore registered car it will have the in car ERP unit - buy your own cash card or use an MRT card (new reader type only) and you're good to go.

I've rented cars in Singapore and driven to MY many times. Good way to spend a few days.

Remember:

No 92RON - premium only (at least near the borders).
The causeway tolls have gone up a lot (SGD12 roughly all up I think).
You need the Malaysian toll card - I'm not sure where I bought mine - it might have been in the immigration complex- put at least RM100 on it if you're driving to KL and back.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by x9200 » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 2:23 pm

We went to Legoland late August by an SG car:
1. We paid something on the way out at the SG check point
2. We paid something at the entrance/exit toll gate of the Malaysian highways (cash or a toll card, you can buy the toll card at the gate)
3. We paid nothing at the Malaysian checkpoints (in/out)
4. We paid nothing at the SG checkpoint on the way back

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6854
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 3:07 pm

PNGMK wrote: You need the Malaysian toll card - I'm not sure where I bought mine - it might have been in the immigration complex- put at least RM100 on it if you're driving to KL and back.
Yes, but definitely bring Ringgit. I was robbed with a 1:1 SGD:MYR exchange rate when I bought mine there with SGD. There is no early point (except back in Singapore) to exchange your currency.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6511
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 9:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote: You need the Malaysian toll card - I'm not sure where I bought mine - it might have been in the immigration complex- put at least RM100 on it if you're driving to KL and back.
Yes, but definitely bring Ringgit. I was robbed with a 1:1 SGD:MYR exchange rate when I bought mine there with SGD. There is no early point (except back in Singapore) to exchange your currency.

Ah good point.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by GSM8 » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies, appreciated. I haven't yet decided whether to rent in JB (rental company said they will come and pick up from Malaysia side of checkpoint) or Changi (easy MRT ride but they haven't responded yet about whether their CDW/theft insurance covers Malaysia). Meanwhile, a few useful links I found to add to the info from others above:

1. Overview info from LTA website
http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en ... apore.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en ... icles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Singapore side toll fees paid in several ways per link above (cash payment incurs $10 admin fee)
- Malaysia side toll fees can be paid in cash or Touch nGo (purchased or topped up with RM next to immigration counter)

3. Current toll fees (Causeway and Tuas; Singapore and Malaysia)
http://www.jackphanginvestment.com/2014 ... ay-vs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4. General info relevant to driving rental or foreign registered cars in Singapore
http://www.asia-planet.net/singapore/selfdrive.htm#pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do continue to post any additional suggestions on this thread, and I'll do the same once my trip is complete. Thanks :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:23 am

GSM8 wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies, appreciated. I haven't yet decided whether to rent in JB (rental company said they will come and pick up from Malaysia side of checkpoint) or Changi (easy MRT ride but they haven't responded yet about whether their CDW/theft insurance covers Malaysia). Meanwhile, a few useful links I found to add to the info from others above:

1. Overview info from LTA website
http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en ... apore.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en ... icles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Singapore side toll fees paid in several ways per link above (cash payment incurs $10 admin fee)
- Malaysia side toll fees can be paid in cash or Touch nGo (purchased or topped up with RM next to immigration counter)

3. Current toll fees (Causeway and Tuas; Singapore and Malaysia)
http://www.jackphanginvestment.com/2014 ... ay-vs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4. General info relevant to driving rental or foreign registered cars in Singapore
http://www.asia-planet.net/singapore/selfdrive.htm#pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do continue to post any additional suggestions on this thread, and I'll do the same once my trip is complete. Thanks :)
You mentioned Kluang. If it is a one-time thing, I'd advise you to rent car from either JB or Singapore (but first check if the insurance from Singaporean rental car covers Malaysia - I believe there will be one for additional charge). I forgot the actual cost for toll but you will be looking into paying not more than SGD20 between Singapore and Johore. So I think it is alright. Petrol in Malaysia is still cheap enough for that one-time trip.

From personal experience, you can take a direct bus or train to Kluang. And taxi drivers are plenty. All attractions are within short taxi rides (Kluang coffee, Gunung Lambak).

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:01 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by GSM8 » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:56 am

the lynx wrote:You mentioned Kluang. If it is a one-time thing, I'd advise you to rent car from either JB or Singapore (but first check if the insurance from Singaporean rental car covers Malaysia - I believe there will be one for additional charge). I forgot the actual cost for toll but you will be looking into paying not more than SGD20 between Singapore and Johore. So I think it is alright. Petrol in Malaysia is still cheap enough for that one-time trip.

From personal experience, you can take a direct bus or train to Kluang. And taxi drivers are plenty. All attractions are within short taxi rides (Kluang coffee, Gunung Lambak).
Yes, it is a one time trip. Most likely we'll end up renting in JB as its under $100 for 2 days, and for 4 adults it's comparable to bus+taxi. The rental company at Changi responded that all their cars come fitted with in-vehicle units and renter brings his own cash card. But driving into Malaysia incurs $40/day supplemental insurance. So that option is not worth it. 2 way tolls at causeway and Tuas total to the $20 range you mentioned, exact amounts are in one of the links I posted. Also, I've driven in Malaysia before and familiar with the "driving etiquette". Driving option then allows the flexibility of side trips like Gunung Arong, seeing talked about Iskandar smart city on the way back etc.

Related topic, both the rental car companies said, my valid US license, valid Indian license or temporary Singapore license (pending the plastic card), any of them are valid and converted license does not have 1 year probationary plate restriction.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Driving Singapore registered rental car into Malaysia

Post by taxico » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:23 pm

probationary status is tied to the (foreign) license and class used for conversion. if you don't have 1 year on it, you'll have to display the triangle - this was confirmed by TP's licensing dept.

if you are stopped in singapore by enforcement officers, you may be asked to show proof of both licenses if you do not display the triangle and your license is newly converted, or be liable for fines/points/appeals.

TP also advised me (some years back, in writing) to carry both licenses to prevent such an inconvenience, for a period of one year from date of conversion.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Car Leasing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests