Singapore Expats

What to do for New Year's Eve?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

What to do for New Year's Eve?

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 9:46 am

This year I'm still staying in Singapore for New Year's, the difference is, I still have no plans on what to do in two weeks time...

I seriously have run out of ideas on what to do on new years...getting drunk at Clarke Quay is just like every other Saturday nights...Siloso Beach party will most likely be another drunkfest also much like Zouk Out, although I'm still contemplating on going there, depending whether my friends wanna go also. One friend suggested a BBQ at her place, but another friend says it's just too lame for a New Year's (I don't think so, but so far only the five of us that I know of are staying in SG)

I'd rather much sit back, relax, enjoy an ice cold beer with close friends as we countdown till 2015, and celebrate with our own fireworks...if only it weren't illegal here.

So what do you guys and gals plan to do? Maybe I can copy some of your ideas. :)
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

nakatago

Re: What to do for New Year's Eve?

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 9:59 am

Akimbo wrote:This year I'm still staying in Singapore for New Year's, the difference is, I still have no plans on what to do in two weeks time...

I seriously have run out of ideas on what to do on new years...getting drunk at Clarke Quay is just like every other Saturday nights...Siloso Beach party will most likely be another drunkfest also much like Zouk Out, although I'm still contemplating on going there, depending whether my friends wanna go also. One friend suggested a BBQ at her place, but another friend says it's just too lame for a New Year's (I don't think so, but so far only the five of us that I know of are staying in SG)

I'd rather much sit back, relax, enjoy an ice cold beer with close friends as we countdown till 2015, and celebrate with our own fireworks...if only it weren't illegal here.

So what do you guys and gals plan to do? Maybe I can copy some of your ideas. :)
1. Install Telstra app (don't worry, works for any phone in any carrier, even outside Sydney): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ud.nye2012
2. Get Google Cardboard: https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/
3. ???
4. Profit.

But seriously, http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/telstra-eng ... elebration
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:11 am

Jeez and I'm gonna be in Sydney for Christmas...but not New Years... *sigh* (no more leaves)

But good idea, I'll pitch it in :P
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 3:11 pm

geez! lucky you! at least you got your xmas sorted. i'll be here for xmas and new year. leave not approved. family not here. friends all with their families. sigh! really hate festive season when you are all by yourself.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 3:57 pm

nanana, it takes me everything to not sing All By Myself when I read your comment...

:lol:

Anyway, now I'm thinking of doing something stupid and sneaking into a palace in the woods...in the darkness of the night...in Singapore. Pop open a cold one, eat some chips, watch the stars and wait till midnight goes by...

It's illegal since I'm gonna be trespassing to a Sultan's territory, but hey...

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Thu, 18 Dec 2014 5:45 am

Is it too late to get away, even if it's just for a couple of days? we've been frequenting Shady Shacks on Bintan quite a lot in the past few months, somewhere like that would be a great place to chill with friends. We're off to Thailand on the 30th, but I've got to work over Xmas and don't fly back until the 28th!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Dec 2014 9:35 am

CaptainBullus wrote:Is it too late to get away, even if it's just for a couple of days? we've been frequenting Shady Shacks on Bintan quite a lot in the past few months, somewhere like that would be a great place to chill with friends. We're off to Thailand on the 30th, but I've got to work over Xmas and don't fly back until the 28th!

Tell us more about 'shady shacks'?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 5:53 am

I know, great name eh! We found this place 6 months ago and we head back every couple of months to chill out for the weekend. I'm sure there's loads of similar places but this one ticks all the boxes for us. http://www.lobo.kinemotion.de

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 5:57 am

CaptainBullus wrote:I know, great name eh! We found this place 6 months ago and we head back every couple of months to chill out for the weekend. I'm sure there's loads of similar places but this one ticks all the boxes for us. http://www.lobo.kinemotion.de
No wifi? Well, that leaves out teenagers, still on-call while even on holiday IT workers, and social media addicts.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 6:09 am

Aye and that's what makes it even better! :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 6:15 am

CaptainBullus wrote:Aye and that's what makes it even better! :lol:

Unless you're these types: http://www.abreakingnews.com/world/isis ... 86270.html

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 9:58 am

Akimbo wrote:I seriously have run out of ideas on what to do on new years...getting drunk at Clarke Quay is just like every other Saturday nights...Siloso Beach party will most likely be another drunkfest also much like Zouk Out, although I'm still contemplating on going there, depending whether my friends wanna go also. One friend suggested a BBQ at her place, but another friend says it's just too lame for a New Year's (I don't think so, but so far only the five of us that I know of are staying in SG)
It is the annual dilemma. As you suggest, staying in sounds a bit boring, and yet going out is often an expensive anti-climax.

I like your idea of hosting a BBQ, or having one at friends.
One time long ago we did something similar at our condo. We had a BBQ with friends, and to make it a bit more 'engaged' with the countdown/clock we celebrated each hour 'toasting' the country where it had just turned midnight. As I recall we started stupidly early, in the morning, but you could pick any start time. So say an evening BBQ, guests arrive 6.30pm, and the first celebration at:
7pm +5 = New Zealand
8pm +4 Russia (doesn't have to be the capital city)
9pm +3 Australia
10pm +2 Papua New Guinea
11pm +1 Japan
Midnight - SG

You could add to that to your hearts delight. Say a 2 minute quiz of 3 questions on each country as the hour passes. The more obscure and silly the better. As the hours pass no one cares hence it's increasingly silly/'what-ever' etc., and everyone starts whispering and cheating. Do the final Q's re: Singapore at say 11.45pm, and at midnight the 'winner' gets to open the final bottle and make the toast.

That time we were 'poolside' and at each hour a bottle of some form of sparkling wine was opened, with the appointed un-corker tasked with trying to shoot the cork across the width of the swimming pool, whilst proposing a toast in the appropriate language/accent. Cue also much earnest coaching from the inevitable engineer present about 'optimal trajectory theory' etc., and no one really caring much and it just being a huge laugh...

Well, that's what we did and it was a hoot. The fact I remember that specific NYE 20 years on probably speaks volumes. By midnight we were so 'lashed' the quiz descended into fun anarchy. No one had managed (AFAIR) to get the cork successfully across the pool either. More notable is the evening didn't become a drawn out focus on one single second, the whole evening (or in that case the whole PM) was riotously fun...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:10 pm

CaptainBullus wrote:I know, great name eh! We found this place 6 months ago and we head back every couple of months to chill out for the weekend. I'm sure there's loads of similar places but this one ticks all the boxes for us. http://www.lobo.kinemotion.de

Looks great!
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:33 pm

Yes it is. Shady translates into English as disreputable or of questionable legality, but I believe it is simply a Malay/Indon name.

Each time I pass the road-sign for 'Shady Bakery' in Tioman, it raises a smile...

'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:50 pm

JR8 wrote:
Yes it is. Shady translates into English as disreputable or of questionable legality, but I believe it is simply a Malay/Indon name.

Each time I pass the road-sign for 'Shady Bakery' in Tioman, it raises a smile...