Singapore Expats

shoddy cab services during shift changes

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Re: shoddy cab services during shift changes

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:04 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:If I am flying on business I do book a taxi in advance on line. I know there is an 8 dollar booking fee but frankly the company pays and it ensures I don't miss my flight.
It doesn't ensure that you won't miss your flight at all. More than once, I've paid that 8 dollar fee, only to find the taxi didn't show up, and only to be told there was nothing the taxi company could do... perfect bullshit... this is Comfort and Citycab, mind you. It's a worthless guarantee. One more piece of Singapore service crap.
Agreed, I am not suggesting the 8 dollars is any kind of guarantee, just saying when doing so I have never had a problem and I have flown extensively over the last 2 1/2 years here. I have also booked in advance for other important reasons like pre natal examinations, appointments at MoM etc Never an issue :-)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 1:00 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Anyone taken the MRT to the airport rather than taxi? I have thought about it but never tried it. I travel hand luggage only on business trips so weight and size of luggage would not be an issue.
I have a few times and it was a pain, especially since i was interchanging from Purple to red to green and then from the airport T3 to T2
never again!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 1:11 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Anyone taken the MRT to the airport rather than taxi? I have thought about it but never tried it. I travel hand luggage only on business trips so weight and size of luggage would not be an issue.
I used to do it most of the time. Dependent where you're coming from.

If you're coming from Woodlands or Yishun, you're better off taking 858 that hits SLE, TPE and then the airport in only 30 minutes.

If you're coming from Tuas or Bukit Panjang, taxi is better.

Remember whichever direction you're coming from, you still need to change to Tanah Merah station.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 1:33 pm

Taxis, last resort for me. Much prefer to use other forms of public transport.

For the airport run I catch the bus, 36. Takes me about 15 min from here. I only ever travel with carry-on so no luggage issues.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 2:08 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
I have a few times and it was a pain, especially since i was interchanging from Purple to red to green and then from the airport T3 to T2
never again!
Hmm didn't think about the terminal transitioning. I would travel from a central location so red line to green line only. Think I might stick with the taxi's.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 2:18 pm

the lynx wrote:Uber, Grab Taxi and Easy Taxi.

These cab drivers are deliberately ignoring and rejecting passengers trying to flag by flashing "Busy" sign because they would prefer to pick up a passenger booking through those apps. I get quicker and surer response through these apps than to flag down one. I started using those because I got so frustrated trying to get one.

I think they make a lot of money picking up passengers via those apps.
what about those who don't have phones without data ?

and it's about time Comfort / SMRT and other taxies stopped their call center, as the hit rates have gone to near zero at times..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 3:06 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:If I am flying on business I do book a taxi in advance on line. I know there is an 8 dollar booking fee but frankly the company pays and it ensures I don't miss my flight.
It doesn't ensure that you won't miss your flight at all. More than once, I've paid that 8 dollar fee, only to find the taxi didn't show up, and only to be told there was nothing the taxi company could do... perfect bullshit... this is Comfort and Citycab, mind you. It's a worthless guarantee. One more piece of Singapore service crap.
Agreed, I am not suggesting the 8 dollars is any kind of guarantee, just saying when doing so I have never had a problem and I have flown extensively over the last 2 1/2 years here. I have also booked in advance for other important reasons like pre natal examinations, appointments at MoM etc Never an issue :-)
I think there is a better chance for a taxi to arrive if you manage to book it (at the time you need it) than in case of the advance booking. So many things may happen between your call and the time it supposed to arive.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 3:09 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
never again!
Hmm didn't think about the terminal transitioning. I would travel from a central location so red line to green line only. Think I might stick with the taxi's.
The tram between the terminals is quite convenient.
"Terminal transitioning" should not be a deal breaker.

However, having to switch to the other green line track at Tanah Merah can be a little annoying.
If you're going to Terminal 3 you may as well switch to Bus 24 from there.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:05 am

this is why I have a couple cards for the luxury cab guys... they love advance bookings (person to person) - when they do that they get to charge the full fee.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:22 am

Protip: if you see a long queue for taxis at T3, go to T1 or T2 taxi stands using the tram in the airport.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:27 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Protip: if you see a long queue for taxis at T3, go to T1 or T2 taxi stands using the tram in the airport.
+1

My personal favourite, the lesser-known taxi queue in Terminal 2. If you go all the way left from arrival hall, instead of right, you will see zero (low peak) or short queue (high peak). Most people tend to crowd the one on the right because that's the closest to the DFS, while the one of the left is hidden behind escalators and it is faster to access if you're stepping from sky train from other terminals.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:30 am

the lynx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Protip: if you see a long queue for taxis at T3, go to T1 or T2 taxi stands using the tram in the airport.
+1

My personal favourite, the lesser-known taxi queue in Terminal 2. If you go all the way left from arrival hall, instead of right, you will see zero (low peak) or short queue (high peak). Most people tend to crowd the one on the right because that's the closest to the DFS, while the one of the left is hidden behind escalators and it is faster to access if you're stepping from sky train from other terminals.
sssshhhh! what did you do? now everyone knows it [-(

Owelve22

Post by Owelve22 » Thu, 25 May 2017 3:08 pm

hi rajagainstthemachine,
which type of cab services you are using? I am using cab in minutes cab services you can try it.
They are provided non waiting cab services. visit here : [no, not really, but please say goodbye to Owelve22 of India]

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 25 May 2017 4:51 pm

Oh brother...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 May 2017 5:13 pm

Owelve22 wrote:hi rajagainstthemachine,
which type of cab services you are using? I am using cab in minutes cab services you can try it.
They are provided non waiting cab services. visit here : ..
Fantastic...

so from Australia they can send a cab to Tuas Circuit ?