Singapore Expats

shoddy cab services during shift changes

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

shoddy cab services during shift changes

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:55 pm

Why is it this bad? It's an agonizing wait for a cab, and then the driver does not want to take you where you want to go.
For eg, today the cab guy had shift change written and was headed towards bukit batok, I wanted a ride towards bukit timah which is on the way and he refused, hailed several cabs but all in vain, dejected took a bus back instead.
I've had instances where I have a flight to catch and rain halts taxi services completely. What is the matter with these cab companies?
Is uber better than all this ?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Re: shoddy cab services during shift changes

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 7:22 am

Totally agree. I have never seen this stupid "shift change" in any other countries that I have been too.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 7:57 am

Aragorn2000 wrote:Totally agree. I have never seen this stupid "shift change" in any other countries that I have been too.
I can't say I've experienced the concept of a 'Shift change' status anywhere else in the world. Here it's like they're trying to get one last fare in for the night, but only if it's going in their precise direction. This is guaranteed to lead to a lot of confusion and displeasure.

Other cities, they just switch off their status-indicator light, and go home.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 8:57 am

Is there not a law that says that once you're in the car, that they must take you to where you request.

Or is that another urban myth?

In a couple of dire situations I wasn't having any of the negotiation through the cracked-open window thing and just got in the car.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 9:03 am

Uber, Grab Taxi and Easy Taxi.

These cab drivers are deliberately ignoring and rejecting passengers trying to flag by flashing "Busy" sign because they would prefer to pick up a passenger booking through those apps. I get quicker and surer response through these apps than to flag down one. I started using those because I got so frustrated trying to get one.

I think they make a lot of money picking up passengers via those apps.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 9:08 am

I should add that I find taxi service has improved over they years.

I also find that I use taxis far less than I used to.

What irks me are the different car types and wildly differing fares for these, and when not in a hurry, I let those more expensive ones go right on by.

As for shift change times and certain other peak or seller's market times that apps, calling and biting the bullet for anything that comes along is all a part of the game.
Last edited by Brah on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 9:09 am

If I am flying on business I do book a taxi in advance on line. I know there is an 8 dollar booking fee but frankly the company pays and it ensures I don't miss my flight.

Otherwise like Lynx I use Grab Taxi and have had a very good service from them. In fact it seems to have improved over time. The number of rejections when trying to book seems to have reduced significantly.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:32 am

JR8 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:Totally agree. I have never seen this stupid "shift change" in any other countries that I have been too.
I can't say I've experienced the concept of a 'Shift change' status anywhere else in the world. Here it's like they're trying to get one last fare in for the night, but only if it's going in their precise direction. This is guaranteed to lead to a lot of confusion and displeasure.

Other cities, they just switch off their status-indicator light, and go home.
But they are like completely shut down at "shift change" time. "Shift-change" for Comfort is around 2 or 4pm, not just at night?

And about advance booking, sometimes they don't turn up and you are doomed.
A cab driver once told me advance booking doesn't work because drivers don't like to plan. They also prefer short trips around the city over than long trips. He said he always ignores "jurong" or "tampines"-looking faces.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:36 am

the lynx wrote:Uber, Grab Taxi and Easy Taxi.

These cab drivers are deliberately ignoring and rejecting passengers trying to flag by flashing "Busy" sign because they would prefer to pick up a passenger booking through those apps. I get quicker and surer response through these apps than to flag down one. I started using those because I got so frustrated trying to get one.

I think they make a lot of money picking up passengers via those apps.
so what you are saying is that in order to get a taxi a smart phone with an specific app is a perquisite?
well I guess I'll get whatever those apps are at least to beat the damm shift change.
Last edited by rajagainstthemachine on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:38 am

Aragorn2000 wrote: And about advance booking, sometimes they don't turn up and you are doomed.
A cab driver once told me advance booking doesn't work because drivers don't like to plan. They also prefer short trips around the city over than long trips. He said he always ignores "jurong" or "tampines"-looking faces.
Really? Never had an advance booked taxi fail to show up myself.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:08 am

To me, I never consider cabs as mode of transport, for this very reason.
The only time we use cabs is when we have luggage and need to go to/come from the airport.
Even then, I have faced the issue. We just get ready well in advance atleast 1/2 hour earlier and then atleast 1 out of 10 cabs will eventually stop and agree to take us.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:31 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:It's an agonizing wait for a cab, and then the driver does not want to take you where you want to go.
It might not have been so bad if the shift change were not happening during a high demand time - evening "rush hour."
rajagainstthemachine wrote:For eg, today the cab guy had shift change written and was headed towards bukit batok, I wanted a ride towards bukit timah which is on the way and he refused, hailed several cabs but all in vain, dejected took a bus back instead.
Aren't the Google Maps directions for public transport useful for planning bus travel?
Time wasted waiting for a taxi may dissipate whatever time advantage there may have been in going by car.

Oh, and try find a taxi in the CBD during peak ERP time.
Only those already in the CBD having brought passenger in will respond to a call.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:47 am

Anyone taken the MRT to the airport rather than taxi? I have thought about it but never tried it. I travel hand luggage only on business trips so weight and size of luggage would not be an issue.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:59 am

Steve1960 wrote:If I am flying on business I do book a taxi in advance on line. I know there is an 8 dollar booking fee but frankly the company pays and it ensures I don't miss my flight.
It doesn't ensure that you won't miss your flight at all. More than once, I've paid that 8 dollar fee, only to find the taxi didn't show up, and only to be told there was nothing the taxi company could do... perfect bullshit... this is Comfort and Citycab, mind you. It's a worthless guarantee. One more piece of Singapore service crap.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:02 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Anyone taken the MRT to the airport rather than taxi? I have thought about it but never tried it. I travel hand luggage only on business trips so weight and size of luggage would not be an issue.
Yes, both ways.
Have seen quite a few others with luggage doing so, especially on the green E-W line.

If you use Google Maps Directions add 5-10 mins in planning your trip timing to have some margin.