Singapore Expats

Contract (3yr) Advice

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
CMLIRE

Contract (3yr) Advice

Post by CMLIRE » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 4:23 pm

Hi,
Thanks in advance for your help with this query!

I have been looking to relocate to Singapore for the past 3 month and have recently been given a 3 year contract for a position in Singapore. I am happy with the job offer, salary and organisation overall, however I was given the contract earlier this week and there is one Clause I am really not comfortable with.

Its states that if I have to terminate my contract early (36months) that I have to give 3/4 month notice and pay back 3/4 month of my salary earned. I have questioned it and been told that its common practice in Singapore is this correct?

I understand why they want this in the company but in the that event of unforeseen circumstances arise in which I may have to leave I would owe them a lot of money back and technically be working for free for a few months?

I am committed to the 3 year contract without a doubt but I really am not comfortable with this clause, any advice or information around contracts in Singapore is greatly appreciated.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Contract (3yr) Advice

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 4:56 pm

CMLIRE wrote:Hi,
Thanks in advance for your help with this query!

I have been looking to relocate to Singapore for the past 3 month and have recently been given a 3 year contract for a position in Singapore. I am happy with the job offer, salary and organisation overall, however I was given the contract earlier this week and there is one Clause I am really not comfortable with.

Its states that if I have to terminate my contract early (36months) that I have to give 3/4 month notice and pay back 3/4 month of my salary earned. I have questioned it and been told that its common practice in Singapore is this correct?

I understand why they want this in the company but in the that event of unforeseen circumstances arise in which I may have to leave I would owe them a lot of money back and technically be working for free for a few months?
I am committed to the 3 year contract without a doubt but I really am not comfortable with this clause, any advice or information around contracts in Singapore is greatly appreciated.
Is it 3/4th or 3 or 4?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 5:22 pm

I had the same question. If it's 3/4 of one month's salary, you are flying good as the norm in Singapore is one to three months notice or salary in lieu of notice.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CMLIRE

Post by CMLIRE » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 5:37 pm

It's 3 or 4 months notice an pay back 3 or 4 months salary ? (sorry about the confusion)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 8:10 pm

Are you, perchance, working in the financial/banking sector or in the process industry where you have access to proprietary information like processes (O&G, Petrochem, Pharma, etc.... If so, 3 to 6 months is sometimes the norm.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CMLIRE

Post by CMLIRE » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:56 am

I am an allied health care professional and the contract is with a private organisation.

CMLIRE

Post by CMLIRE » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 2:02 am

Further to my query in the public sector or state owned organisations (Hospitals) are there similar clauses in their contracts?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 6:55 am

Maybe squirrel can help you there as that is not in my field of expertise. He should be logged on in a little while.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 5:00 pm

CMLIRE wrote:It's 3 or 4 months notice an pay back 3 or 4 months salary ? (sorry about the confusion)
How is it possible is 3 OR 4 (depending on what?) and is this salary and notice or salary or notice?

CMLIRE

Post by CMLIRE » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 7:16 pm

It states that I would have to give 4 months written notice AND pay the company 3 months of salary, in the event that 4 months notice is not given i would have to pay the company 4 months salary. Furthermore it states if the company terminate the contract they are entitled to look for damages!
I guess I really want to know is this the norm in private practice and is it different in the public sector.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 8:17 pm

My wife who is an ST and worked in a state special school said she did not have anything like this in her contract (only the notice period) BUT:
1) this was 8y ago
2) she also said that she would not be surprised if what you described IS a standard practice right now because of additional, significant costs of supervision required by the Allied Health Professions Council for cases like yours. You just going to enter the local job marked for the first time and from the council POV you are basically considered sort-of fresh grad.

CMLIRE

Post by CMLIRE » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 8:25 pm

x9200 wrote:My wife who is an ST and worked in a state special school said she did not have anything like this in her contract (only the notice period) BUT:
1) this was 8y ago
2) she also said that she would not be surprised if what you described IS a standard practice right now because of additional, significant costs of supervision required by the Allied Health Professions Council for cases like yours. You just going to enter the local job marked for the first time and from the council POV you are basically considered sort-of a fresh grad.

Thanks for the info, yeah there is 2 years supervision which is required by AHPC. I can't seem to find out if it is standard practice across the board or just in private practice !

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 8:37 pm

Standard across the industry. Public or private, all the same.