Singapore Expats

iTunes

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

iTunes

Post by Steve1960 » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 5:48 pm

Was fiddling around on my Mac and inadvertently deleted all purchased movies from the iTunes folder, my bad!

Connected the iPad and copied across all purchases and it copied all but three movies. Any idea why? Only one iTunes account so multiple accounts is not the issue.

I can't seem to find any way to get those three movies back into iTunes without purchasing them again. Mystified!

Missing movies appear in Apple TV of course and they are still on the iPad but as soon as I synch the iPad to the Mac I know they will disappear!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: iTunes

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 8:32 am

If you purchase them again with the same iTunes acct they'll download for free. There's also an option *somewhere* in an account menu in iTunes to view/hide/restore previous purchases.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 10:33 am

zzm9980 wrote:If you purchase them again with the same iTunes acct they'll download for free. There's also an option *somewhere* in an account menu in iTunes to view/hide/restore previous purchases.
Really? I didn't know that thanks will give it a try later.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:00 am

Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:If you purchase them again with the same iTunes acct they'll download for free. There's also an option *somewhere* in an account menu in iTunes to view/hide/restore previous purchases.
Just tried it on mine.

In iTunes, go to iTunes Store. There is a 'Music Quick Links' bar on the right. You should see a 'Purchased' link that will show you everything. You can filter by music, movie, etc. and 'all' or 'Not on my computer'.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:02 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:
Just tried it on mine.

In iTunes, go to iTunes Store. There is a 'Music Quick Links' bar on the right. You should see a 'Purchased' link that will show you everything. You can filter by music, movie, etc. and 'all' or 'Not on my computer'.
Excellent thanks, will give it a try when I get home.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:35 am

It's also the same for applications. Once purchased they can be downloaded/installed for free on any suitable machine under the same account.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:55 am

x9200 wrote:It's also the same for applications. Once purchased they can be downloaded/installed for free on any suitable machine under the same account.
Yes I have taken advantage of this before without issues its just puzzling how and why iTunes decided to omit 3 movies apparently randomly from iPad to Mabook

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 8:34 am

zzm9980 wrote: Just tried it on mine.

Worked perfectly thanks, all movies restored to the library on the Macbook :-)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 2:10 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Just tried it on mine.

Worked perfectly thanks, all movies restored to the library on the Macbook :-)
Great! I'm also curious why those three temporarily got 'lost'... Very occasionally, there is an update to the movie. Perhaps the old ones were on your iPad so long that you didn't get it updated, so then when you transferred it Apple invalidated them to force you to re-download it.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 2:20 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Great! I'm also curious why those three temporarily got 'lost'... Very occasionally, there is an update to the movie. Perhaps the old ones were on your iPad so long that you didn't get it updated, so then when you transferred it Apple invalidated them to force you to re-download it.
I am not sure. Apart from the 3 movies which were missing there were another 7 which were already in the Macbook iTunes library yet iTunes indicated they were not on the device.

I am not convinced iTunes synchronises that well across devices but I don't know why.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 1:09 am

Careful as sometimes there is a slight change and iTunes has been known to treat the same film as a different product, with the "version" you purchased no longer available. It has happened with popular titles too, so it's not just the odd film that everybody has forgotten.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 3:22 am

aster wrote:Careful as sometimes there is a slight change and iTunes has been known to treat the same film as a different product, with the "version" you purchased no longer available. It has happened with popular titles too, so it's not just the odd film that everybody has forgotten.
Agreed... and Apple customer service has always made me whole after checking their records... an email does the trick... finding the right place on their bloody website is the trick.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 12:59 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
aster wrote:Careful as sometimes there is a slight change and iTunes has been known to treat the same film as a different product, with the "version" you purchased no longer available. It has happened with popular titles too, so it's not just the odd film that everybody has forgotten.
Agreed... and Apple customer service has always made me whole after checking their records... an email does the trick... finding the right place on their bloody website is the trick.

https://getsupport.apple.com/ :)

Now how do you know to go there if someone who knows didn't tell you? That I can't answer. I've tried to find it myself browsing from the front page and can never get to it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 1:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote:https://getsupport.apple.com/ :)

Now how do you know to go there if someone who knows didn't tell you? That I can't answer. I've tried to find it myself browsing from the front page and can never get to it.
Maybe they want you to go goog--, er, bin---, er, duckduckgo it and hope it's the first result.

It wasn't for me.

(I didn't check further but they all showed me the same faux Samuel L. Jackson and faux Lena Dunham who also appear on the getsupport site.)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 9:57 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:https://getsupport.apple.com/ :)

Maybe they want you to go goog--, er, bin---, er, duckduckgo it and hope it's the first result.

It wasn't for me.

(I didn't check further but they all showed me the same faux Samuel L. Jackson and faux Lena Dunham who also appear on the getsupport site.)
Nah, there is a proper "work flow" from their website to take you to that. I can just never figure it out.

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”