Singapore Expats Forum

PR REP Renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5758
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 02 Feb 2015 5:58 pm

My one comment is that in your point 5 I'd have expected you to pay more than just medisave but also OA/SA contributiions (as I did).

I personally think you'll get a renewal (subject to having a reaosnable income).
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

sppr19
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby sppr19 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:26 am

Hi There!
Here’s my situation:
I was transferred from SG to USA (intra-company transfer) on Mar 2015
ICA renewed our REP for an year on June 2017 , going to expire on June 2018.
Currently I am searching for job in SG, no matter whether I get one or not, planning to return to SG by May 2018 along with family.
Let’s say if I me or my wife get a job there by June or July and apply for REP renewal, what are the chances for ICA consider our application?
Has only had such experience?

Please share, and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby jamie9vardy » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:44 am

sppr19 wrote:Hi There!
Here’s my situation:
I was transferred from SG to USA (intra-company transfer) on Mar 2015
ICA renewed our REP for an year on June 2017 , going to expire on June 2018.
Currently I am searching for job in SG, no matter whether I get one or not, planning to return to SG by May 2018 along with family.
Let’s say if I me or my wife get a job there by June or July and apply for REP renewal, what are the chances for ICA consider our application?
Has only had such experience?

Please share, and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Most likely not going to fly

You should have packed your bags and come back in June/July 2017 when ICA gave you 12 months to sort this out. That's their message to you. But you are planning to come back only at the 11th hour.

ICA would be asking why should I renew this guy who has no CPF contribution for the past 12 months and has not paid tax for the last 2 to 3 YA's.

Let us know how it goes lah.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:51 am

sppr19 wrote:Hi There!
Here’s my situation:
I was transferred from SG to USA (intra-company transfer) on Mar 2015
ICA renewed our REP for an year on June 2017 , going to expire on June 2018.
Currently I am searching for job in SG, no matter whether I get one or not, planning to return to SG by May 2018 along with family.
Let’s say if I me or my wife get a job there by June or July and apply for REP renewal, what are the chances for ICA consider our application?
Has only had such experience?

Please share, and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Your REP expires but not your PR. When you come back before expiry don't apply for REP renewal until you find a job. You can live in SG and look for a job even after your REP expires, just don't step out of the country. After you find a job apply for REP and see how it goes. They may renew it for shorter durations until you build some credibility.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

sppr19
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby sppr19 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:54 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sppr19 wrote:Hi There!
Here’s my situation:
I was transferred from SG to USA (intra-company transfer) on Mar 2015
ICA renewed our REP for an year on June 2017 , going to expire on June 2018.
Currently I am searching for job in SG, no matter whether I get one or not, planning to return to SG by May 2018 along with family.
Let’s say if I me or my wife get a job there by June or July and apply for REP renewal, what are the chances for ICA consider our application?
Has only had such experience?

Please share, and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Your REP expires but not your PR. When you come back before expiry don't apply for REP renewal until you find a job. You can live in SG and look for a job even after your REP expires, just don't step out of the country. After you find a job apply for REP and see how it goes. They may renew it for shorter durations until you build some credibility.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you Wd40, for your positive thought. And I have one more question, we are family of 4, myself, my wife and 9yrs old daughter are SPR. MY son was born in US (holding US passport by birth). I may need to apply LTVP for him upon arrival in SG. Does my short validity of REP will affect his LTVP application?

Pls share ur thought here again.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:45 pm

sppr19 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
sppr19 wrote:Hi There!
Here’s my situation:
I was transferred from SG to USA (intra-company transfer) on Mar 2015
ICA renewed our REP for an year on June 2017 , going to expire on June 2018.
Currently I am searching for job in SG, no matter whether I get one or not, planning to return to SG by May 2018 along with family.
Let’s say if I me or my wife get a job there by June or July and apply for REP renewal, what are the chances for ICA consider our application?
Has only had such experience?

Please share, and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Your REP expires but not your PR. When you come back before expiry don't apply for REP renewal until you find a job. You can live in SG and look for a job even after your REP expires, just don't step out of the country. After you find a job apply for REP and see how it goes. They may renew it for shorter durations until you build some credibility.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you Wd40, for your positive thought. And I have one more question, we are family of 4, myself, my wife and 9yrs old daughter are SPR. MY son was born in US (holding US passport by birth). I may need to apply LTVP for him upon arrival in SG. Does my short validity of REP will affect his LTVP application?

Pls share ur thought here again.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
This I have no clue. Maybe you should contact the ICA.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

sppr19
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby sppr19 » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sppr19 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Your REP expires but not your PR. When you come back before expiry don't apply for REP renewal until you find a job. You can live in SG and look for a job even after your REP expires, just don't step out of the country. After you find a job apply for REP and see how it goes. They may renew it for shorter durations until you build some credibility.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you Wd40, for your positive thought. And I have one more question, we are family of 4, myself, my wife and 9yrs old daughter are SPR. MY son was born in US (holding US passport by birth). I may need to apply LTVP for him upon arrival in SG. Does my short validity of REP will affect his LTVP application?

Pls share ur thought here again.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
This I have no clue. Maybe you should contact the ICA.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
OK...thank you once again for ur response.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Globaliser
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 01 Mar 2018

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby Globaliser » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 3:18 pm

Hey all,

Related question and decided not to start a new thread...

My REP is coming up for renewal soon after 5 years of PR. I am currently on a career break since last July and enjoying life. (yes, I am an unemployed bum but by choice for now).

I own a property in Singapore which I live in, besides the mortgage no debts. My CPF OA is empty as it was used to offset my mortgage payment but SA and MA are up to date but no contributions since I stopped working.

Now the question is, what to fill in on the renewal application on employment, if I put unemployed will that have a detrimental effect on the renewal application (I imagine it would)?

Globaliser

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5758
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 3:39 pm

Globaliser wrote:Hey all,

Related question and decided not to start a new thread...

My REP is coming up for renewal soon after 5 years of PR. I am currently on a career break since last July and enjoying life. (yes, I am an unemployed bum but by choice for now).

I own a property in Singapore which I live in, besides the mortgage no debts. My CPF OA is empty as it was used to offset my mortgage payment but SA and MA are up to date but no contributions since I stopped working.

Now the question is, what to fill in on the renewal application on employment, if I put unemployed will that have a detrimental effect on the renewal application (I imagine it would)?

Globaliser

I would put 'self employed' and be prepared to back it up with some evidence like a half written book or business plan.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 3:46 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Globaliser wrote:Hey all,

Related question and decided not to start a new thread...

My REP is coming up for renewal soon after 5 years of PR. I am currently on a career break since last July and enjoying life. (yes, I am an unemployed bum but by choice for now).

I own a property in Singapore which I live in, besides the mortgage no debts. My CPF OA is empty as it was used to offset my mortgage payment but SA and MA are up to date but no contributions since I stopped working.

Now the question is, what to fill in on the renewal application on employment, if I put unemployed will that have a detrimental effect on the renewal application (I imagine it would)?

Globaliser

I would put 'self employed' and be prepared to back it up with some evidence like a half written book or business plan.


I dont think self employed will work. If self employed, they will ask for evidence of income. He has to declare that he is unemployed and quickly find a job to renew his REP. All this is assuming he obtained PR under the PTS Scheme

Globaliser
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 01 Mar 2018

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby Globaliser » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 4:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:I would put 'self employed' and be prepared to back it up with some evidence like a half written book or business plan.


singaporeflyer wrote:I dont think self employed will work. If self employed, they will ask for evidence of income. He has to declare that he is unemployed and quickly find a job to renew his REP. All this is assuming he obtained PR under the PTS Scheme


Thanks both,
I thought about being self employed before but that would probably only work with evidence of a registered company and income from that company. At the moment I have neither. Creating a PTE. LTD. is possible but generating an income though it will take longer.

On the PTS scheme, I honestly never looked into the way my PR was granted (just that it was approved, period). How can I find out under what scheme it was approved? Old paperwork or it is held online as well?

Globaliser

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 5:09 pm

Globaliser wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I would put 'self employed' and be prepared to back it up with some evidence like a half written book or business plan.


singaporeflyer wrote:I dont think self employed will work. If self employed, they will ask for evidence of income. He has to declare that he is unemployed and quickly find a job to renew his REP. All this is assuming he obtained PR under the PTS Scheme


Thanks both,
I thought about being self employed before but that would probably only work with evidence of a registered company and income from that company. At the moment I have neither. Creating a PTE. LTD. is possible but generating an income though it will take longer.

On the PTS scheme, I honestly never looked into the way my PR was granted (just that it was approved, period). How can I find out under what scheme it was approved? Old paperwork or it is held online as well?

Globaliser


Were you working on a EP before you were granted PR?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby the lynx » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 5:20 pm

sppr19 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
sppr19 wrote:Thank you Wd40, for your positive thought. And I have one more question, we are family of 4, myself, my wife and 9yrs old daughter are SPR. MY son was born in US (holding US passport by birth). I may need to apply LTVP for him upon arrival in SG. Does my short validity of REP will affect his LTVP application?

Pls share ur thought here again.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
This I have no clue. Maybe you should contact the ICA.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
OK...thank you once again for ur response.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk


I don't think your REP issue is a hindrance to your son's LTVP because he is a son of PR. But this doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be granted PR status!

Remember, the world doesn't end if your REP renewal is rejected - you are still a PR, you just can't leave Singapore!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby the lynx » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 5:22 pm

Globaliser wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I would put 'self employed' and be prepared to back it up with some evidence like a half written book or business plan.


singaporeflyer wrote:I dont think self employed will work. If self employed, they will ask for evidence of income. He has to declare that he is unemployed and quickly find a job to renew his REP. All this is assuming he obtained PR under the PTS Scheme


Thanks both,
I thought about being self employed before but that would probably only work with evidence of a registered company and income from that company. At the moment I have neither. Creating a PTE. LTD. is possible but generating an income though it will take longer.

On the PTS scheme, I honestly never looked into the way my PR was granted (just that it was approved, period). How can I find out under what scheme it was approved? Old paperwork or it is held online as well?

Globaliser


I am very surprised you are not aware of this. Did you apply on the basis that you had an employment visa, or that you have a family member (spouse, etc) who supported your PR application?

Globaliser
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 01 Mar 2018

Re: PR REP Renewal

Postby Globaliser » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 5:26 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

Were you working on a EP before you were granted PR?


I started om an EP in 2006 to 2009, left Singapore for a year, returned on an EP for a different company for a year from 2010 to 2011 and a PEP from 2012 to 2014 while still working for the same company I started with in 2010.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests