Singapore Expats Forum

IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.
Yusof Marican

IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES

Postby Yusof Marican » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:10 am

Hi there,

I am conducting a survey to find out an expats perception of the Philippines as a leisure destination.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DqZhn-llGl-B_pYVX4rbjomV6IJ5buCfDP3BeR6V40o/viewform

Please click on the above link to participate.

Thank you !

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: IT'S MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:12 pm

Yusof Marican wrote:Hi there,

I am conducting a survey to find out an expats perception of the Philippines as a leisure destination.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DqZhn-llGl-B_pYVX4rbjomV6IJ5buCfDP3BeR6V40o/viewform

Thank you !

And you are from??????

It would be good if you reveal who you are and whats your intention!!

PS, looks like you only want the opinion of pass holders .. others aren't wanted I guess

Yusof Marican

Postby Yusof Marican » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 1:01 pm

My apologies @Ecureilx.

We are a group of Year 3 students pursuing a Diploma in Tourism & Resort Management from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Our client is the Philippine Department of Tourism (PODT).

The objective of this research is to determine the perception expatriates in Singapore have of the Philippines as a leisure destination.

The results will be used to identify the key value propositions an expatriate may have of the Philippines as a leisure destination.

Your participation will help the Philippines Department of Tourism (PDOT) to develop Philippines as a leisure destination for the expatriate market in Singapore.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 1:47 pm

Yusof Marican wrote:Your participation will help the Philippines Department of Tourism (PDOT) to develop Philippines as a leisure destination for the expatriate market in Singapore.

It won't improve until the transportation infrastructure does. I've managed to avoid NAIA terminal 1 for 10 years now.

Source: I was born, grew up and live there for 28 years there.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 2:40 pm

What nakatago said, plus general safety. I live in the Phils now, and enjoy it - but it is not quite as easy to go places as in other countries, due to bad transport infrastructure, and also due to general concerns of getting robbed or kidnapped. The latter, of course, is more of a general issue of the country and not so much of tourism; there are simply too many socially disadvantaged people who have few other ways to make money, and too little enforcement of the law (quite unlike Singapore, btw).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:31 pm

AngMoG wrote:What nakatago said, plus general safety. I live in the Phils now, and enjoy it - but it is not quite as easy to go places as in other countries, due to bad transport infrastructure, and also due to general concerns of getting robbed or kidnapped. The latter, of course, is more of a general issue of the country and not so much of tourism; there are simply too many socially disadvantaged people who have few other ways to make money, and too little enforcement of the law (quite unlike Singapore, btw).

Adding to the law issue many case never get investigated if the victim left the country or refused to file charges due to intimidation

And no witness / motive = no case = crimes continue!!

I am sure DOT knows all that ...

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 7:07 am

AngMoG wrote:What nakatago said, plus general safety. I live in the Phils now, and enjoy it - but it is not quite as easy to go places as in other countries, due to bad transport infrastructure, and also due to general concerns of getting robbed or kidnapped. The latter, of course, is more of a general issue of the country and not so much of tourism; there are simply too many socially disadvantaged people who have few other ways to make money, and too little enforcement of the law (quite unlike Singapore, btw).

Even if you take out the crime aspect, I really hate taking public transport in the Philippines.

I'm an able bodied man with more than average flexibility and agility and I have trouble getting from point A to point B in a timely AND comfortable manner.

](*,)

What more if you are old, physically challenged or carrying anything that requires more than one hand?

:mad:

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 8:33 am

As an expat in Singapore who worked with Pilipinos for 10+ years on ships, this is my perception of the Pilippines as a leisure destination:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:10 pm

nakatago wrote:
](*,)

What more if you are old, physically challenged or carrying anything that requires more than one hand?

:mad:

That's why Manila airport is over run with porters who aren't happy when quite a few foreigners refuse their service

Of course a few locals think it's complimentary service till they find out per bag price can go up to 300 peso ...

Apparently there was a daily target set for porters ... per some local news there ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:47 pm

Thank you !

Is it intentional that you cannot do the survey unless you are on an S-Pass or EP?

[I'm on neither, but have visited the PH].
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 1:30 pm

JR8 wrote:
Thank you !

Is it intentional that you cannot do the survey unless you are on an S-Pass or EP?

[I'm on neither, but have visited the PH].

I did ask the same question :P

Curiousgeorge, subscribe to that fellow's channel ... lot of silly and entertaining stuff there

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 2:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:I did ask the same question :P

Ah, as I hadn't looked at the survey when you wrote that, your comment went over my head.

But it's not only that 'only pass-holders' are catered to, it's only E/S pass holders. What logic is there in that?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:46 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I did ask the same question :P

Ah, as I hadn't looked at the survey when you wrote that, your comment went over my head.

But it's not only that 'only pass-holders' are catered to, it's only E/S pass holders. What logic is there in that?

selecting NONE brings you to ..

100%: You made it.

Maybe the surveyors consider Pass holders as expats, or they are the Target !

PS, higher earning PEP also not wanted in this survey !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:51 pm

Sometimes I think that before people post surveys, especially if they are part of student course-work, that it might be prudent to explain more clearly who the audience is, and who it is not.

Call it 'User Acceptance Testing' or similar. I'd have thought if you have the goodwill of people to help complete the survey, you'd also have their goodwill to ensure the survey was as thorough and accurate as it might be before inviting participation.

Yusof Marican

Postby Yusof Marican » Fri, 05 Dec 2014 2:21 am

@ AngMoG @nakatago @ecureilx Thanks for your insights and feedback with regards to the Philippines.

@JR8 Thank you for your valuable feedback which gave us some food for thought.

Just to clarify :

The target audience for the survey are expatriates who work and live in Singapore.

However, based on the feedback we received, we have decided not to restrict the survey solely to Employment Pass and S Pass Holders.

We welcome more feedback and constructive criticism to enable us better propose a marketing campaign for the client (i.e. Philippine Department of Tourism) and to learn as students :)