Singapore Expats

Relocating to Singapore on a Shoestring budget

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
jishnudg

Relocating to Singapore on a Shoestring budget

Post by jishnudg » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 7:55 pm

Hi!

Just registered on this forum, and its amazing how much information there is in this forum. So a short introduction...I'm a 24 year old architect/BIM coordinator based in New Delhi, India, and am currently applying to Singapore based companies. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to relocate by early next year, but have a few questions that I'd love some advice on.

1. I'm going on a shoestring budget, have no way to get a loan immediately, and will have to survive on bare essentials for a while. How can I optimize on day to day living expenses?

2. (1) wouldn't be a huge problem, but for the fact that I have a significant amount of time investment in an after hours web based startup that I've been working on getting off the ground, in BIM consultancy. For this, I'd definitely prefer single accommodation, that isn't too far from the city center - - which, common sense tells me, would not come cheap. Any innovative solutions to this? I don't even mind staying in a tiny setup, could even be a 10ft x 10ft room with attached bath and no utilities whatsoever - -floor's the limit.

Looking forward to inputs on this! Thanks,all!

J.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Relocating to Singapore on a Shoestring budget

Post by taxico » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 9:11 pm

jishnudg wrote:Hi!

Just registered on this forum, and its amazing how much information there is in this forum. So a short introduction...I'm a 24 year old architect/BIM coordinator based in New Delhi, India, and am currently applying to Singapore based companies. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to relocate by early next year, but have a few questions that I'd love some advice on.

1. I'm going on a shoestring budget, have no way to get a loan immediately, and will have to survive on bare essentials for a while. How can I optimize on day to day living expenses?

2. (1) wouldn't be a huge problem, but for the fact that I have a significant amount of time investment in an after hours web based startup that I've been working on getting off the ground, in BIM consultancy. For this, I'd definitely prefer single accommodation, that isn't too far from the city center - - which, common sense tells me, would not come cheap. Any innovative solutions to this? I don't even mind staying in a tiny setup, could even be a 10ft x 10ft room with attached bath and no utilities whatsoever - -floor's the limit.

Looking forward to inputs on this! Thanks,all!

J.
#1 quite a few temples in singapore offer free vegetarian food (chinese sort). if you've got some money, you're welcomed to make a contribution into the donation box. no amount too big or too small.

#2 i would assume anything "single" that you're officially allowed to live in with an attached bathroom would be a little pricier than you would like (right now anyway). you could try living in a youth hostel/dorm for a few weeks (someone said $20/night?) and see how that works out for you, while you hunt down for something that suits.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

jishnudg

Post by jishnudg » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 9:28 pm

The temple thing is definitely a good idea,thanks! - - and yes I'd definitely put in donations.
Regarding accommodation.. I've been looking up hostels, but those seem to be 20SGD a night for a bunk, not a room. What if I leave out the attached bathroom bit?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 29 Nov 2014 3:27 pm

$20/night over a few weeks... it all adds up. you'll have to figure out how much more it costs to get a room at a hostel. i reckon likely to be at least $50...?

there are plenty of public places with free internet and power sockets you can hang out during the day (libraries, cafes, etc), and maybe you need only go back to the dorm for a shower/change/sleep.

the free wifi is called Wireless@SG - google to figure out how and where you can get it started/working.

while i would not use private unsecured hot spots ("Bong family wifi"), i think commercial ones (eg, starbucks) are fair game even if i am not a paying customer.

good luck.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 9:17 am

A quick input, a room without attached bathroom in a HDB (not a condominium) 1-hour commute from the city will set you at minimum $500 per month not including utilities (water, electric).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:19 am

Singapore is geared for cheap living because the majority of Singaporeans really get by on quite little. The advantage they have over you is subsidised accommodation. If you can resolve the accommodation side then your day to day living costs can be kept to a minimum with a bit of common sense.

You mention you have already researched the forums. That's a good start. I reckon you could pick up plenty of good ideas from the construction workers and the like employed here.

To reduce travel costs target the MRT lines that have free travel early in the morning (if they still do that?). Or use the humble bicycle like many of the locals.

jishnudg

Post by jishnudg » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:53 am

Bgd - you're absolutely right, most expenses can be reduced with a lot of tips and tricks I've come across on this forum . accommodation seems to be the only thing that's non negotiably expensive.

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 1:23 pm

bgd wrote:To reduce travel costs target the MRT lines that have free travel early in the morning (if they still do that?). Or use the humble bicycle like many of the locals.
Yes they still do that. The ride-early,ride-free offer is extended till June 2015 and I foresee this to become permanent due to popularity and de-congesting effect it has.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 4:25 pm

if i remember sundaymorning correctly, i think the OP can't rent a room as a tourist on SVP... nor can private residences be let out for short terms (this i'm sure) - <6 months.

as such he/she has no choice but to use a hostel/hotel.

jishnudg

Post by jishnudg » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 4:27 pm

Taxico..Well I'll be there for a year and a half, actually..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 5:03 pm

jishnudg wrote:Taxico..Well I'll be there for a year and a half, actually..

That's all well and good as long as you have the proper residency visa. If you arrive here on an SVP you cannot until such time as your SVP has been converted to a residency visa.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 01 Dec 2014 9:41 pm

jishnudg wrote:...I'm a 24 year old architect/BIM coordinator based in New Delhi, India, and am currently applying to Singapore based companies. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to relocate by early next year, but have a few questions that I'd love some advice on.

jishnudg wrote:Well I'll be there for a year and a half, actually..
your earlier messages didn't make it sound like you had a pass to reside for a year and half.

if you do have a pass, then you're better off just renting a room some where on the island. as lynx has said, you'll be able to get a room for $500 (to $600)/month. if you want an ensuite (and an accompanying increase in room size), i think it's about $700-$850.

there should be no need to consider "slumming it out" in a shared dorm room. i'm not sure if the real estate company that owns this website has room listings or not... but google is your friend.

jishnudg

Post by jishnudg » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 11:37 am

I'm awfully sorry,you're right, I should have made that clearer...I will be moving on an EP, for a year and a half. Regarding the room rent for a single room, are there any particular localities/areas that I should be looking at to get good deals in?

jishnudg

Post by jishnudg » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 11:38 am

As in places where I can strike a good balance between distance from work and rent amount.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 1:19 pm

jishnudg wrote:As in places where I can strike a good balance between distance from work and rent amount.

Define good balance. You mentioned shoe string but you're not clear where you would draw the line for compromise.

And you have not mentioned where you will be working. We can't really suggest anything without any idea.

Depending on where you work and whether you are willing to do the bus-MRT-bus combo kind of commute. I've already take it that any single room without shared bathroom/toilet is $450 in bus-MRT-bus/bus-MRT situation of 1 hour's commute minimum, and $600 for direct 30 minutes' MRT commute. Anything more than that is always higher.