Singapore Expats

Importing personal belongings to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Thadeez

Importing personal belongings to Singapore

Post by Thadeez » Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:39 am

I've searched the forums a bit but felt I needed to post the question and see how others have dealt with this.

We have recently moved here from The Netherlands, and settled in to our new apartment in the Joo Chiat area and we're loving it!

In the weeks prior to moving our family to Singapore, we have shipped one pallet of moving boxes containing precious personal belongings to arrive early December. We recently received the update that the ship has arrived and our stuff can be picked up and cleared on Dec 2nd. (yay!). However, we still need to arrange our own forwarder to take care of the customs clearance, documents and delivery to our door. For this we've asked one forwarder for a quote and were stunned by the amount they are quoting (over 1200 SGD for 1 pallet).

Not knowing the least bit about this, I asked for quotes from 2 other companies. One is Astro, found in a sticky topic here http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=97630. The other is a contact my wife got from a Facebook group for Expats.

Can anyone here share their experience shipping their stuff to Singapore, and perhaps tip us on a good company to go with? We'll need to arrange it this week, not to get charged the storage costs after the goods have been unloaded from the container.

Not_a_kid_no_more

Re: Importing personal belongings to Singapore

Post by Not_a_kid_no_more » Thu, 27 Nov 2014 3:02 pm

Hi Thadeez,

I just moved from US to Singapore and got my shipment of 57 boxes last week. As I cannot post the name of the company doing the forwarding and port clearance for me here (strictly no ads allowed), can you contact me at [email protected]?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Importing personal belongings to Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Nov 2014 3:40 pm

If it's a recommendation it fine to post it here, however, if you have a financial interest in the company, it's not a recommendation but a solicitation or advertisement. Surely you know the difference. We welcome recommendations from "satisfied users" of a business entity - that's what we do here. A business owner or employee is not necessarily a satisfied user, but could be just the "chief thief" as it were. :cool:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers