Singapore Expats

Impossible to get appointment with ICA to apply for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mortlock2005
Regular
Regular

Impossible to get appointment with ICA to apply for PR

Post by mortlock2005 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 9:03 pm

It is completely impossible to get an appointment with ICA to submit our forms for PR. Does anyone know if you can still go to the offices without an appointment and get a queue number? You used to be able to do that, but I'm not sure if you still can. I know it means waiting for hours to be seen, but we want to get the paperwork lodged ASAP.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Impossible to get appointment with ICA to apply for PR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:45 pm

Remember, trying to jump the queue will make you look desperate. In any case, even if you get an appointment, you do realize it can take upwards of 15~18 months to get approved OR REJECTED after submitting your paperwork.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 1:09 am

Walk in appointments are not there anymore and it is clearly mentioned in the ICA PR application page. Keep looking for cancelations in appointments for submission and that is the only other option.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 8:17 am

singaporeflyer wrote:Walk in appointments are not there anymore and it is clearly mentioned in the ICA PR application page. Keep looking for cancelations in appointments for submission and that is the only other option.
actually you can walk in, and go the queue counter, and then she will scan the slots, if she is in a good mood, and tell you the next earliest available slot, which will not be on the same day !! it will be like, next week or week after next ... or later ..

if OP has the luxury of doing it, than checking online .. by all means, he can do it !!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 9:05 am

I was just talking to an ex-colleague about his recent experience applying for PR. He basically kept visiting the ICA website every morning to see if a slot had become free. When one became available he grabbed it and went straight down. He applied in August and got approval late October. He's English (caucasian), married to a Singaporean (got hitched last year) and was on his second EP (in Singapore about 6 years) when he applied. I don't know what his salary is but it would at best be 'average'.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:07 am

Addadude wrote:I was just talking to an ex-colleague about his recent experience applying for PR. He basically kept visiting the ICA website every morning to see if a slot had become free. When one became available he grabbed it and went straight down. He applied in August and got approval late October. He's English (caucasian), married to a Singaporean (got hitched last year) and was on his second EP (in Singapore about 6 years) when he applied. I don't know what his salary is but it would at best be 'average'.
Are there "different queues" for Family Ties as opposed to PTS applications?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:10 am

When you originally apply online, you get allocated a slot six months into the future. This is standard for all applications...basically to see if you're serious and will still be around in six months - its a first cut method of sifting out the blaggers.

If you're trying to book a slot sooner, then you're going to have to wade through the e-appointment system on an hourly basis waiting for a slot to open up. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy living in Singapore while you wait six months for your interview.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:30 pm

Barnsley wrote:Are there "different queues" for Family Ties as opposed to PTS applications?
If my ex-colleague's experience is anything to go by, there is indeed. It also could be that there were 'available PR slots' for his particular racial/relationship profile.

To Curious George's point, constantly checking e-appointment slot availability and having the flexibility to grab the first opportunity that comes along is key to getting an earlier appointment.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

ful babu
Regular
Regular

Post by ful babu » Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:38 am

curiousgeorge wrote:When you originally apply online, you get allocated a slot six months into the future. This is standard for all applications...
Do you know this for a fact / observations / personal experience ?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 27 Nov 2014 10:17 am

ful babu wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:When you originally apply online, you get allocated a slot six months into the future. This is standard for all applications...
More like a trend, rather than a fact.

If the popularity of getting PRs is sky-high, I wouldn't be surprised if you have to wait one year for a slot... So checking the website every day for last-minute cancellation is the best way to clinch an earlier slot.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 27 Nov 2014 8:34 pm

The number of PR awarded in 2014 is about 2/5 of what it used to be... and the demand has gone up. The ICA is quite rightly using every barrier they can to weed out applicants. There's no need for them to open up more slots when they have less PR to give out.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 12:58 pm

ful babu wrote:
Fact: when you apply online you are guaranteed an appointment in the future - ICA makes it for you
Observation: For most people, in the last couple of years, the wait is very long
Personal Experience: when I applied online, my future date was six months. I clicked "accept" and waited six months.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:54 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:
ful babu wrote:
Fact: when you apply online you are guaranteed an appointment in the future - ICA makes it for you
Observation: For most people, in the last couple of years, the wait is very long
Personal Experience: when I applied online, my future date was six months. I clicked "accept" and waited six months.
Hi there. I just started looking into the PR application. The MOFA site makes you download the forms in PDF, fill it in, then reserve an appointment through their e-appointment system. There is no guaranteed appointment time in the future - this seems to be completely false. Please share the details of the website where it allows you to 'apply online'.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151#procedure

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:42 pm

American wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:
ful babu wrote:
Hi there. I just started looking into the PR application. The MOFA site makes you download the forms in PDF, fill it in, then reserve an appointment through their e-appointment system. There is no guaranteed appointment time in the future - this seems to be completely false. Please share the details of the website where it allows you to 'apply online'.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151#procedure
Oh curiousgeorge meant applying online for the appointment slot, not online PR application. :P