Singapore Expats

Rolling back Chrome

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Rolling back Chrome

Post by Brah » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 9:50 pm

Firstly, this can't be done. Rollback that is. But the current version is incompatible with something I need to run on it.

But older versions can be installed.

The problem is, upon install, it checks for updates.

There is some info regarding how to disable the updates via registry settings, and some other ways that look more geared to enterprise implementation, but I have not been able to get this to work.

Any ideas?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Rolling back Chrome

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:45 am

Most Chrome updates are due to crucial security fixes. I'd recommend leaving it alone, and installing a separate browser that works for just that one site you're having problems with.

Chrome is the top browser now by far, so I'm sure the site will fix it eventually.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:56 am

Not in this case - it wasn't a regular update - I deleted the executables for that long ago. I upgraded manually to fix another problem.

After the upgrade, when trying to access a site which depends on certain software, that software is incompatible with the current version of Chrome and nothing works.

So I definitely have to go back to an older version until that software gets updated, which could be months.

Trust me, this is something I need, and right away, I'm hosed without this.

I tried everything I could with disabling the auto update to the latest version that happens at install time using the old version executable. There seems to be ways around this but I can't figure it out.

I ran this through Chrome as it didn't work the other browsers - it worked sometimes, but Chrome was the most reliable. I tried with the other browsers, but Support can't get me though it with those other browsers, I was on the phone with them for hours.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 1:09 am

So the only thing this application/website supports is Chrome, and one specific older version? They have no other way to use their site? :???: How do they onboard new users and customers, or support people that upgrade their computer / browser?

If the above is the case, I'd contact their support again since they likely have a copy of that older version of Chrome they could send to you