Singapore Expats

PR Rejected, Approved, Rejected : Now what?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ArHall

PR Rejected, Approved, Rejected : Now what?

Post by ArHall » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 7:13 pm

Hi,
I had been working in Singapore for 6+ years on S pass, EP, PEP, EP. I applied during my 2nd year and it was rejected due to contract job status. And asked me to applied in 2 years.

Then I got a perm job (with 90% traveling), with a good salary. So applied again. During this period I had a family commitment and I had to leave the job. At the same time I changed my flat and I was not able to update the ICA. After few months (infact 8 months from the approved date) I called ICA and found out my PR was approved but it has already expired. And I was no longer with the same company. ICA reissued me the letter saying I must bring the documents to do the formalities. And then they realized I am not in the same company.

My new salary wasn't the same and job status was contract. So they rejected. And the letter stated "you may continue to reside in Singapore as long as your work visa is valid."

After the project contract was over, I have found a perm job with a reasonable salary and I want to apply again. But my current company is a local SME (20 years history). Previously I worked in foreign banks.

Today I went to check e-appointment and I don't seem to find any appointments available.
Can someone kindly advise me about situation? Is my file flagged? Will I not be able to get PR at all? When should apply again?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: PR Rejected, Approved, Rejected : Now what?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:12 pm

ArHall wrote:Hi,
I had been working in Singapore for 6+ years on S pass, EP, PEP, EP. I applied during my 2nd year and it was rejected due to contract job status. And asked me to applied in 2 years.

Then I got a perm job (with 90% traveling), with a good salary. So applied again. During this period I had a family commitment and I had to leave the job. At the same time I changed my flat and I was not able to update the ICA. After few months (infact 8 months from the approved date) I called ICA and found out my PR was approved but it has already expired. And I was no longer with the same company. ICA reissued me the letter saying I must bring the documents to do the formalities. And then they realized I am not in the same company.

My new salary wasn't the same and job status was contract. So they rejected. And the letter stated "you may continue to reside in Singapore as long as your work visa is valid."

After the project contract was over, I have found a perm job with a reasonable salary and I want to apply again. But my current company is a local SME (20 years history). Previously I worked in foreign banks.

Today I went to check e-appointment and I don't seem to find any appointments available.
Can someone kindly advise me about situation? Is my file flagged? Will I not be able to get PR at all? When should apply again?

You have permanently screwed yourself.

You didn't update your address particulars, which is a requirement for anyone on a work pass or PR, or for that matter, a Singapore citizen. It need to be taken care of within 28 days of moving. You didn't do this. You say, "I was not able"... what you really mean is you didn't take the time to inform MOM and ICA.

You are also required to file notice of a new employer if you change jobs while your PR application is being processed, you are supposed to supply ICA with details of your new work pass, and your new employer is supposed to complete Annex A. You didn't do any of that, either.

And, you knew that you have been previously rejected with a contract job, yet decided to move ahead with re-applying for PR while you were in yet another contract job.

You have received the PR kiss of death: "you may continue to reside in Singapore as long as your work visa is valid." What that means is they don't want you as a PR, and I can understand why. You didn't follow simple rules and requirements, especially the address change, and the failure to notify about change of employers. And frankly, if it took you 8 months to even check on your status, I'd conclude you don't actually care very much whether you get it or not. I bet they conclude the same thing, too.

Go ahead and reapply... I don't think you'll get anywhere, though... you've burned all your bridges.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:38 pm

Are you also required to update your status for citizenship if you get promoted, but still work for the same employer?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 5:47 am

Angelus wrote:Are you also required to update your status for citizenship if you get promoted, but still work for the same employer?
You are not required to, but any information that improves your position and status can't be anything but a help to you.

ArHall

Post by ArHall » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Strong Eagle,

Well the circumstances were not at favour the time I left my job. I had to go out of the country. Yes I do agree it was my mistake for not remembering to update ICA for address, but I have done so for new employers. Infact an officer mentioned they do have the records of foreigners working attached to MOM...

I can infact wait and then apply. But you are saying it's over for me?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:26 pm

ArHall wrote:. And the letter stated "you may continue to reside in Singapore as long as your work visa is valid."
We have never seen anyone who has received the rejection letter with that phrase contained therein who has subsequently successfully been granted PR. We did have someone on here a couple of years ago who claimed he knew someone who did after applying about 6 or 7 times. After questioning, we learned his information was somewhat suspect as he didn't know the person, only knew somebody who claimed they new somebody who had succeeded. SE and myself have been on this board doing this for over 10 years, hasn't been one yet that we are aware of, and most who pull off something that rare would come back to let us know, or gloat, as the case may be.

Therefore, while we are not saying don't bother reapplying, we are saying it is, in all probability, an exercise in futility. But. Stranger things have happened....... :-|

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ArHall

Post by ArHall » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:46 pm

It is a very unfortunate situation for me and my family. Because I had once gotten the long waited gift yet unable to preserve it. If someone can advise if there's anyway to get this through that's much appreciated...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 1:04 pm

ArHall wrote: If someone can advise if there's anyway to get this through that's much appreciated...
* Change your identity, along with your fingerprints.
* Perform an act so great to Singaporeans that parliament will pass an act that will give you honorary citizenship as a sign of gratitude.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ArHall

Post by ArHall » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 1:07 pm

nakatago wrote: * Change your identity, along with your fingerprints.
* Perform an act so great to Singaporeans that parliament will pass an act that will give you honorary citizenship as a sign of gratitude.
Neither of those are possible for me. I am not a millionaire who is capable of donate. And please don't take the request as a fun time thing.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 1:14 pm

ArHall wrote:
nakatago wrote: * Change your identity, along with your fingerprints.
Neither of those are possible for me. I am not a millionaire who is capable of donate. And please don't take the request as a fun time thing.
Like the others have said, it's virtually impossible.

Enjoy your visa until it runs out or it gets renewed and wait until they change the policy (also unlikely and beyond your control).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 1:41 am

ArHall wrote:It is a very unfortunate situation for me and my family. Because I had once gotten the long waited gift yet unable to preserve it. If someone can advise if there's anyway to get this through that's much appreciated...
I think the only thing you can do is re-apply or appeal your current case with

a) Stable, long term employment with an employer willing to complete Annex A. You need to demonstrate some kind of employment stability to have any kind of a shot.

b) You need to include a rational and detailed explanation of how and why things happened the way they did. The way you wrote your original post, frankly, sounds dodgy. Did they specifically reject you the first time because you were on contract? Why did you have to leave your job?

What I'm saying is you need to be employed at your stable job, hopefully with a raise and/or promotion for some period of time before you apply again, and when you do apply, you need to be completely honest about your earlier circumstances. Even then, it's a long shot.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 9:35 am

Angelus wrote:Are you also required to update your status for citizenship if you get promoted, but still work for the same employer?
FYI, if you are citizen of PR, you are required by law to update your address, or you will end up in the slammer

In such cases, if the NRIC-holder is not in fact living at that address, he is liable to be punished under the National Registration Act for falsely reporting an address.

The penalty for not reporting or falsely reporting an address is a fine not exceeding $5,000 or a jail term not exceeding five years, or both.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 9:57 am

In 1948 George Orwell was writing about Singapore. :-k 8-[
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ArHall wrote:. And the letter stated "you may continue to reside in Singapore as long as your work visa is valid."
We have never seen anyone who has received the rejection letter with that phrase contained therein who has subsequently successfully been granted PR. We did have someone on here a couple of years ago who claimed he knew someone who did after applying about 6 or 7 times. After questioning, we learned his information was somewhat suspect as he didn't know the person, only knew somebody who claimed they new somebody who had succeeded. SE and myself have been on this board doing this for over 10 years, hasn't been one yet that we are aware of, and most who pull off something that rare would come back to let us know, or gloat, as the case may be.

Therefore, while we are not saying don't bother reapplying, we are saying it is, in all probability, an exercise in futility. But. Stranger things have happened....... :-|

sms
One of my colleagues from China got in on 4th time of asking and I think this is the one you are alluding to , I have just confirmed with him as he is sat opposite me.

I can also confirm that he was told in his letters that he was told " You can carry on staying here on your pass" or whatever they put for most rejections.

He did get a couple of promotions in work throughout the process maybe that helped.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 1:30 pm

Yes, we also have couple of direct posters in this forum who got the PR after the kiss of death.
1)SingaporeFlyer
2)Another Vietnamese girl, I will try to find her thread.

Edit: Here's the thread:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 8&t=104107

Also we know 90% or more of the people only read this forum and ask questions, but never give back to the forum so, these people are never going to report when they get PR.