Singapore Expats

In global talent survey, Malaysia races ahead of Asian neigh

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Re: In global talent survey, Malaysia races ahead of Asian n

Post by Aragorn2000 » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 9:12 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
BTW, is this Malaysia's future ??

Non-Malays should never again dispute the special rights of the Malays and the position of the rulers, Khairy Jamaluddin said today, adding that Malays themselves never questioned vernacular schools and the citizenship of non-Malays. The Umno youth chief said in his policy speech at the party's general assembly that the Malays had "accepted and they had never questioned" the social contract they agreed upon during the formation of Malaysia. - See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mala ... ed8x1.dpuf
The world is not getting more civilized, is it?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ip-erdogan

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:32 am

Aragorn2000 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
BTW, is this Malaysia's future ??

Non-Malays should never again dispute the special rights of the Malays and the position of the rulers, Khairy Jamaluddin said today, adding that Malays themselves never questioned vernacular schools and the citizenship of non-Malays. The Umno youth chief said in his policy speech at the party's general assembly that the Malays had "accepted and they had never questioned" the social contract they agreed upon during the formation of Malaysia. - See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mala ... ed8x1.dpuf
The world is not getting more civilized, is it?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ip-erdogan
maybe 'they' are on to something :D

Re: Malaysia - they do take a step ahead and then takes half a step behind with this kind of statements

After a while, they will get there, I think so

As of now, they have improved the benefits for Expats working in MNCs immensely .. including complimentary MM2H as enticement, in some cases !!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 1:03 pm

It is interesting that JR8 brought out the term "quitter". Not sure why they started it but it only lasted for a little bit and have not heard them labeling people this way anymore. Reminds me of a lovely poem :love: .

Here’s to the ones who aren’t afraid to quit,

To the ones who put down crappy books,

who drop out of school if it doesn’t light them up,

who walk away from ill-fitting relationships,

who fall asleep during boring movies.

Here’s to the ones who aren’t afraid to bail,

to leave a crappy restaurant,

to turn down a date that didn’t jolt them with excitement,

to quit their well-paying but life-draining career to pursue their dreams,

to donate gifts they just got that they aren’t really into.

Here’s to the ones who only settle for a resounding “F**k Yes!”

Who draw a strong line between what’s worth their time and what’s not,

Who chase dreams instead of pay-cheques,

Who own their choices with honesty and transparency,

Who don’t glorify “sticking it out.”

Here’s to the quitters, the bailers, the mind-changers,

here’s to the one’s who follow their intuition

who aren’t jolted by perceived pressures

of how they’re meant to exist.

Who realize the implications of having one shot

at one life, with one mind, and one body.

Who make the most of every moment,

by not fearing what could happen

if they dare to follow their heart.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 2:34 pm

earthfriendly wrote:It is interesting that JR8 brought out the term "quitter". Not sure why they started it but it only lasted for a little bit and have not heard them labeling people this way anymore.
We all know what it means. I was using it in an ironic but representative way, as it is arguably precisely such a disparaging term/attitude from the government to it's highly skilled and go-getting mobile citizens that encourages them, if and when they leave usually temporarily, to sometimes never come back. Maybe they've finally registered that it is totally counter-productive.

It is why there is a need for government departments like this exist...
https://www.contactsingapore.sg/overseas_singaporeans/

---

Imagine a reverse situation, the Brits having a government funded global roadshow. If here, perhaps on a closed off section (invite via the embassy only) of the Padang.
Complete with:
- Entertainment. A Punch and Judy show. Morris dancers. A village style pantomine, with all the bunting up everywhere. A bit of 'Jerusalem', Elgar, and 'I Vow To Thee My Country' over the PA followed by the National Anthem a toast to the Queen. Maybe some cricket, skittles, lawn-bowls and croquet. Hop-Scotch and an egg and spoon race for the children.
- Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, or a lavish roast chicken lunch with all the trimmings. Harry Ramsden's fish and chips. Sausage sandwiches for the children. Draft real ale and cider, Pimms, G+T's, elderflower cordial for the ladies.
- Freebies: Packets of Bisto gravy granules, Paxo stuffing, Colman's mustard, Branston pickle, Birds custard powder. Stilton, dry-cured bacon and organic free-range sausages. Quality Street, Tizer/Tango/Irn-Bru/Ribena. Very generous hand-outs of cans of Bodingtons and London Pride, and mini's of Bombay or Plymouth gin.

All totally free of charge.

c/w: Stalls from:
- Estate agents, persuading you how affordable your dream property actually is back home.
- Employment agents, with whom to have a discreet 15 minute chat about career opportunities, and agree to keep in contact.
- Relo agents, to give you a ball-park on possible relo costs and matters such as UK pet-quarantine, schooling etc
- A Home Office stand: You've married local? No problem they'll advise on visas etc for your foreign spouse/children.

You leave entertained, informed, filled with F+B, nostalgic, and carrying as many bags of products from home as you are physically able to carry, so that every time for months you open the kitchen cupboard it'll be like ... 'ah, yes, I really do miss this...I really do miss home'.

And since you're now on the '''Contract Britain''' mailing list, it's nice to know that they'll be keeping in touch, and are there to help and advise you when the time comes to make the big move back home.
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 30 Nov 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 5:33 pm

They do have this. The dear mayor Boris just showed up in town holding press conferences and what-not about how absolutely fabulous London is. Seemed lost on him how bizarrely inappropriate he and his entourage were.

Lost in translation...

But that is a topic for another thread!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 5:50 pm

movingtospore wrote:They do have this. The dear mayor Boris just showed up in town holding press conferences and what-not about how absolutely fabulous London is. Seemed lost on him how bizarrely inappropriate he and his entourage were.
'During his talks with PM Lee, the mayor said they discussed "trade, Europe and opportunities for growth between London and the UK and Singapore". http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 98856.html

So nothing about coaxing British expats back home, nor meeting any, and neither does he represent the UK government. So in fact not the same thing at all...

Anyway, BoJo has that kind of insouciant charm of the affable fop; such things get into the blood at Eton. But you can be assured he didn't get where he is by being 'the shaggy haired, rather thicko but smiley nice guy' that he so enjoys playing out.

p.s. And I'm not sure how a trade mission representing one major economic city-hub (London) visiting another (SG) might be 'bizarrely inappropriate'.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 6:47 pm

Cuz I was there. And it was not about SG at all. Rather about London being pretty much the centre of the universe and the biggest and best in all things.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 7:28 pm

Similar case when Modi went to US and Aus and addressed the diaspora. He didn't tell them to come back, he actually said the reverse. The world is aging and only India has the potential to give skilled manpower to the world.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Nov 2014 9:17 pm

movingtospore wrote:Cuz I was there. And it was not about SG at all. Rather about London being pretty much the centre of the universe and the biggest and best in all things.
What do you expect from a roadshow from the Mayor of London?

Do you think SGn events of a similar nature in London (or where ever) are any less vainglorious?

p.s. Oh and BTW, London is the centre of the universe and the biggest and best in all things lol! :wink:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 2:48 am

Well speaking as an umpteenth generation Londoner I agree with JR8, although my opinion might be just a little subjective :wink: . London is too *&^$%@ cold to live in (for me) but I love going back from time to time.

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.
— Samuel Johnson
Be careful what you wish for

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 8:06 am

Mi Amigo wrote:Well speaking as an umpteenth generation Londoner I agree with JR8, although my opinion might be just a little subjective :wink: . London is too *&^$%@ cold to live in (for me) but I love going back from time to time.

— Samuel Johnson
+1 absolutely

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:34 am

Mi Amigo wrote:Well speaking as an umpteenth generation Londoner I agree with JR8, although my opinion might be just a little subjective :wink: . London is too *&^$%@ cold to live in (for me) but I love going back from time to time.
— Samuel Johnson

JR8: I haven't heard that quote for a while! It has to be kept in mind that it was said nigh on 250 years ago. Mobility has now progressed beyond the horse and carriage; and furthermore the '''civilised world''' (in the European classical sense, of great arts, literature and so on) has also developed beyond Europe.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

JR8: ['all that life can afford' is not a reference to cost and spending, rather it means 'all that life might wish for']

'Boswell and Johnson were discussing whether or not Boswell's affection for London would wear thin should he choose to live there, as opposed to the zest he felt on his occasional visits. (Boswell lived in Scotland, and visited only periodically. Some people are surprised to learn that Boswell and Johnson were far from inseparable over the last twenty years of Johnson's life, the period Boswell knew him.)

'This discussion happened on September 20, 1777, and Johnson, someone who hated to spend time alone, was always going out and enjoying what London had to offer'.

http://www.samueljohnson.com/tiredlon.html

'Samuel Johnson (18 September 1709 [O.S. 7 September] – 13 December 1784), often referred to as Dr Johnson, was an English writer who made lasting contributions to English literature as a poet, essayist, moralist, literary critic, biographer, editor and lexicographer. Johnson was a devout Anglican and committed Tory, and has been described as "arguably the most distinguished man of letters in English history". He is also the subject of "the most famous single work of biographical art in the whole of literature": James Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson.'

JR8: ... The latter I would recommend for the reading list. He really was an extraordinary man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson