Singapore Expats

In global talent survey, Malaysia races ahead of Asian neigh

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

In global talent survey, Malaysia races ahead of Asian neigh

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 2:53 pm

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Re: In global talent survey, Malaysia races ahead of Asian n

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:26 am

I think unless Singapore allows dual citizenship, this brain drain is going to continue happening.
It seems that locals are feeling bleaker about their future and this sense of negativity is self propagating (this is my personal opinion based on my limited experience)

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 2:30 am

This brain drain will serve as a wake up call for the govt. When Singaporeans experience life outside the country, they are able to enjoy more well-rounded lifestyles and views of lives. Something hard to come by living on the little red dot!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 8:39 am

earthfriendly wrote:This brain drain will serve as a wake up call for the govt. When Singaporeans experience life outside the country, they are able to enjoy more well-rounded lifestyles and views of lives. Something hard to come by living on the little red dot!
An interesting perspective by one who knows from experience. Quite the contrary to what ones reads from the pundits here in article comments and blogs.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 9:37 am

earthfriendly wrote:This brain drain will serve as a wake up call for the govt. When Singaporeans experience life outside the country, they are able to enjoy more well-rounded lifestyles and views of lives. Something hard to come by living on the little red dot!
Singaporeans have been going overseas to study and such, but most came back when they realized that things are better back home, in a way

And those who want to migrate, can't be stopped.

there is no place like home, is what is said by those who ventured overseas and found Home is better !!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 9:57 am

ecureilx wrote:Singaporeans have been going overseas to study and such, but most came back when they realized that things are better back home, in a way
Have not heard any returnee say "things are better back home" yet.
The reason I've heard most often is, "the parents are getting old."
Family takes precedence.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:07 am

Frankly, I think both are false reasons for returning. I believe most that do return because they just cannot hack it overseas. They are used to the gahment molly-coddling them but it a lot more difficult when you have to do the thinking yourself. They are intelligent and do well overseas, but I think it's too stressful for them to have to do all their own thinking outside of the workplace as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, I think both are false reasons for returning. I believe most that do return because they just cannot hack it overseas. They are used to the gahment molly-coddling them but it a lot more difficult when you have to do the thinking yourself. They are intelligent and do well overseas, but I think it's too stressful for them to have to do all their own thinking outside of the workplace as well.
This might apply to many young millennials, but I've found the Gen X group to be quite successful and well appreciated overseas, but then again, my experience is with the ones in engineering disciplines.
Don't know about those in other fields.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:21 am

Yeah, I can imagine how difficult it would be for an average Singaporean to be successful overseas, because for every Singaporean there is going to be 100s of much more hungrier and craftier Chinese, Indians and others from developing or unstable countries willing to work much more harder, smarter and for lesser.

Those really bright Singaporeans will obviously be successful whether in Singapore or overseas.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:48 am

SG is well-rounded in some ways and not so in other ways.

Well-rounded
- day-to-day interactions are quite straight forward, people freely expressing views and none of that PC nonsense
- long history of melting pot for different cultural cuisines
- good amalgamation of people of different races and religions, not perfect but not bad either

Not So Well Rounded
- pursuit of economic progress at all cost which created a whole sleauth of problems for everyone living there

I don't believe in blaming a single entity for the ills of society as everyone plays a role in shaping the environment we live in. However in SG case, it is a small country largely directly by govt policies. Many of the farms in Chua Chu Kang will soon be eradicated. It is just not yielding good $$$$$ per square footage.

Kids need to be able to observe first hand how the food they eat end up on their plate, not just study and take tests. Also what do you do if you aspire to be a farmer in SG?

Govt wooing people of high net worth, they can ditch and depart SG as easily as the way they have arrived. This result in sprouting up of businesses catering to those well-heeled. But seriously, how many living in the heartland can afford to patronize such businesses. This also jacks up rental. How many businesses have been forced to go under, even those with good following of clientele. Singaporeans have one of the highest debt to income ratio in the world. It is not sustainable. Sure, its economy is doing well but the society is lop-sided.

Now they are on to tap technologies for smart living but mUCH grass root response caution govt not to forget the human touch.

Taking human out of the equation will not work in the long run, when citizens feel themselves being defined in terms of economic output.

Too much micro-management as big brother knows best such as strict censorship laws. How to encourage creativity and enterprising spirits, like that? You are put thru an autocratic system from a young age. Instructions are directed and led by the teacher, rather than encouraging collaborative learning and team work..........

People need to be given autonomy to direct their own lives and that will mean allowing them to make bad choices and mistakes. And such mistakes may become a drain on the economy but in the long run, SG will be a healthier society.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:01 am

Sorry, being a fellow Msian, I would take the article with a pinch of salt. As a fellow Msian especially since I am not a bumi, but a chinese why would I go home?
I have entertained that over the years, especially when I look at my payslip and saw how much HMRC takes away from me, when it is bleak and drip drip drip outside.
Years ago, the Msian govt had this incentive to welcome Msian home. I was offered a job at the Securities Commission. At the end of the day, because I am non-Bumi, they had to give me a boss to report to that knows next to nothing.
I heard that the expat that Msia are currently attracting arent that highly credible. No idea.
The main reason for people coming here is simple- taxe savings, especially if you are from the UK. If you are a GBP65k pa salary worker, you are better off here, that's the minimum as the GBP65ker is trading waters back home.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:10 am

And not to mention those at the bottom of the $$$ economic totem pole are not treated equitably. Workers rights are not strong since it is the bosses who call the shots, those with more authority and earn more $$$. So you see, your well-being is determined by your $$$ net worth. It is a bit sad for me to see us, humans, being debased as such. Being reduced to $$$.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:37 am

Primrose Hill wrote:Sorry, being a fellow Msian, I would take the article with a pinch of salt. As a fellow Msian especially since I am not a bumi, but a chinese why would I go home?
I have entertained that over the years, especially when I look at my payslip and saw how much HMRC takes away from me, when it is bleak and drip drip drip outside.
Years ago, the Msian govt had this incentive to welcome Msian home. I was offered a job at the Securities Commission. At the end of the day, because I am non-Bumi, they had to give me a boss to report to that knows next to nothing.
I heard that the expat that Msia are currently attracting arent that highly credible. No idea.
The main reason for people coming here is simple- taxe savings, especially if you are from the UK. If you are a GBP65k pa salary worker, you are better off here, that's the minimum as the GBP65ker is trading waters back home.
Agree with PrimoseHill. This article is obviously fed on polished stats from Malaysia.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, I think both are false reasons for returning. I believe most that do return because they just cannot hack it overseas. They are used to the gahment molly-coddling them but it a lot more difficult when you have to do the thinking yourself. They are intelligent and do well overseas, but I think it's too stressful for them to have to do all their own thinking outside of the workplace as well.
Is being "unable to hack it overseas" a bad thing? The GFC made it substantially more difficult to earn money in the US/Europe while the economy has been pretty ok here. It's not surprising many have returned. That's also why there are so many foreigners (including westerners) in Singapore.

If overseas means other emerging markets, most are shit holes. I believe no body really wants to live there, unless they have no other choice.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:49 pm

You haven't been here very long, have you. The expat population here is about half (western expats) of what it was back in the 80's & early 90's by percentage of the total population here now versus then. Singapore had it's first mass exodus of westerners in 1984 and an additional exodus in 1997. Unable to hack it, refers to whatever reason they couldn't make it there. Not anything to do with the draw of Singapore. That is why the majority who DO return, complain about Singapore after come back. I'm not talking about people on contracts but those who have taken up permanent residence in a Foreign Country.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers