Singapore Expats

Nokia N1 tablet

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Nokia N1 tablet

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:59 pm

Interesting development. Microsoft has just recently got rid of the Nokia label from its Lumia devices and now Nokia launches an Android tablet :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30096603

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Nokia N1 tablet

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 19 Nov 2014 2:44 pm

Wd40 wrote:Interesting development. Microsoft has just recently got rid of the Nokia label from its Lumia devices and now Nokia launches an Android tablet :)

Maybe the right move.

I am not sure the talented programmers of Nokia Symbian can focus their talents into making a version of Android, a-la Samsung !!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 19 Nov 2014 3:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Interesting development. Microsoft has just recently got rid of the Nokia label from its Lumia devices and now Nokia launches an Android tablet :)

Maybe the right move.

I am not sure the talented programmers of Nokia Symbian can focus their talents into making a version of Android, a-la Samsung !!!
* Microsoft bought the Nokia division that manufactures phones
* It's the leftover Nokia--the one that still does the communication equipment and software that designed the N1
* IIRC, Symbian was sold off to Accenture
* There's an agreement that Nokia won't do smartphones until 2016
* Microsoft stopped using the Nokia branding but kept the Lumia branding
* Nokia isn't making a version of Android. The N1 is using stock Android; however, the Z Launcher will come preinstalled. The Z launcher is just another app and is developed by Nokia and can be installed on other phones.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Nokia N1 tablet

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:51 am

They also didn't develop anything for the hardware. It is a generic reference design from Foxcon that they threw their branding on. It's being marketed to the Chinese market, maybe India also.

It's just what the world needs, another crappy low cost android tablet that will soon be neglected and not receive updates.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 2:12 pm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nok ... -fabulous/

Nicely put :)
Nokia had a cancer, and that cancer was Stephen Elop. It took four years to cut him out, but now that he’s gone, Nokia has a fresh, new, positive outlook on life. The result is a piece of hardware that with one hand, gives the finger to Elop and Microsoft, and with the other, a reassuring thumbs up to us.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 4:11 pm

I'm willing to give Nokia the benefit of the doubt. Low cost tablets from reputable manufacturers from my experience and observations are very good value for money.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 5:53 pm

Been intimately related to them since 2001

Dropped the ball :-(

Wish I could elaborate more but probably not appropriate given my in depth knowledge

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 6:02 pm

I will give you a funny moment though as we are on the 'N' subject.

2002 before WiFi was prevalent.

I took a Mediterranean cruise and peacefully switched of the laptop and mobile phone while I was at sea it was idyllic away from everything.

The first port we docked at I switched on the mobilephone and received an immediate call from Jurgen *** of the 'N' company to say if you don't fix your productionooutput issues today you will put us on line stop...............................at that time 'N' company was 80% of our business as a quite fresh start up company.

That was the end of my holiday as we knew it................................ :wink:

We never put 'N' on production line stop from that day to this and it is one of the highlights of my career :-)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 8:43 pm

I'm not sure I understand your story...

Needs better punctuation or perhaps better choice of proper pronouns in the right places.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 8:23 am

And an Indian to the rescue ?? :D Pun intended !!

Well, who is to say that Eloop was planted there to take the fall ?

And .. calling him names is unfair, says me ..

In corporate world, sometimes the head has to reap the rewards of his predecessor ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 26 Nov 2014 8:57 am

ecureilx wrote:
And an Indian to the rescue ?? :D Pun intended !!

Well, who is to say that Eloop was planted there to take the fall ?

And .. calling him names is unfair, says me ..

In corporate world, sometimes the head has to reap the rewards of his predecessor ..
The tech heads of reddit, slashdot, arstechnica and most of the comments sections of tech sites are in agreement that Elop was bad for Nokia, just next to the fact that Nokia was slow to react to the emergence of the modern smartphone.

Can we also stop singling out this-and-that-executive is Indian? The Indian diaspora was early enough such that it'll be like pointing out every white male in corporate America is European. Indians are everywhere (along with the Chinese); it should be transparent by now.

Ooohh... Satya Nadella, Indian. Sundar Pichai, Indian. This should only matter as national pride for Indians but them taking leadership roles in tech companies is probably more due to their abilities rather than their Indian-ness. It's not like, "Hey, you're Indian; you must be good with computers. Here; lead this company." It's, "You're good with tech; lead this company. Oh, you're Indian; that's neat."

henri2398

Post by henri2398 » Tue, 09 Dec 2014 5:30 pm

Yes its true Microsoft has got rid of Nokia label from lumia devices and Nokia now launches the Android Tablet - Nokia N1 Tablet.
Link removed by Moderator

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Dec 2014 5:50 pm

From Nak's links......
It certainly looks to be one of the better looking tablets around, as it looks similar to Apple’s iPad Mini 3. But in this crowded market does Nokia will able to appeal to people from this tablet?
This had to be written by a local Singaporean!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 6:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:From Nak's links......
It certainly looks to be one of the better looking tablets around, as it looks similar to Apple’s iPad Mini 3. But in this crowded market does Nokia will able to appeal to people from this tablet?
This had to be written by a local Singaporean!
To be fair, this happens to me too but only when I'm typing and mid-sentence I think of something else thus ending up with weird grammar.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 9:24 am

Me too, but not when I'm doing an article to be viewed by millions. Especially if I'm a regular journo on a topic I usually do my article offline and then copy/paste the proofed copy online (forums don't count). The fact that this was supposed to be an article as opposed to an online discussion caused it to jump up in my face. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”