Singapore Expats

Blacklisted Sim Lim Square mobile phone shop reopens

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Entertainer

Blacklisted Sim Lim Square mobile phone shop reopens

Post by Entertainer » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 3:54 pm

Blacklisted Sim Lim Square mobile phone shop will be reopening the shop under a new name, HJ Mobile. According to SMRT Ltd (Feedback), Jover Chew is on the run and the business has been sold to a Mr Ricky Lee.

Mobile Air closed last week, following local and international media reports about ugly scenes such as a Vietnamese customer begging for a refund.

This is the usual tactics from blacklisted shops, change company name, change directors and start operating again like nothing had happened.

Source:
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/ ... op-reopens

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Re: Blacklisted Sim Lim Square mobile phone shop reopens

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:26 am

Putting aside the OP's fishing trip has anyone here had problems in Sim Lim Square?

I would never consider buying an expensive piece of equipment there like a phone or high end camera but I do find the upper floors very useful for things like computer memory, Ethernet switches, DVD drive, cables etc and have always had a good service. It would be a shame if those shops suffered from the bad publicity.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:37 pm

I wrote roughly the same some time ago. SLS is very good and very safe for computer parts and computer consumables. I never had any issue with them over ++10y or so buying there regularly and I am a computer freak.
SLS has also (or used to have as I did not shop for it already quite some time) at least two safe and fair camera shop and I bought over there some expensive pieces too. For the whole rest I would approach only if no other choice and with extreme caution.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:50 pm

I've only been there for building my desktop 2 years ago at the upper floors, and did not have a problem...HWZ has an updated list of the PC costs, and they're pretty much correct when I got there to buy my stuff.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 3:54 pm

I've actually had good luck there buying things like cameras. I have been able to get new models for the same price on Amazon (before GST), which was slower than retail price.

I think it just takes commonsense and bargaining there. Even though I've heard all the horror stories about iPhone 6 in this shop, I don't get how these customers headed over all of this money without a phone in hand to allow themselves to even get scammed.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 6:49 pm

Probably many foreigners do their shopping based on the Singapore as the whole country reputation and simply don't expect any scam. It's a sort of local RE agent - landlord phenomena. Here also nobody expects what is almost a norm.