Singapore Expats

Man stabbed near Raffles Place MRT

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Entertainer

Man stabbed near Raffles Place MRT

Post by Entertainer » Sun, 16 Nov 2014 9:45 pm

Singapore police handcuffed a man in front of UOB Plaza around 1pm on Friday, 14 November 2014, after a man was stabbed near the Raffles Place MRT station.

A man has been arrested following a stabbing in the heart of Singapore's Central Business District on Friday (Nov 14). Police said it was a case of armed robbery with hurt, and that two men were sent to the Singapore General Hospital following the attack. One of the men was subsequently arrested:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 72456.html

Armed robbery in Singapore rarely has this much photos and videos:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Man stabbed near Raffles Place MRT

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 7:46 am

Entertainer wrote:Singapore police handcuffed a man in front of UOB Plaza around 1pm on Friday, 14 November 2014, after a man was stabbed near the Raffles Place MRT station.
Funny to see the many comments on the "SLOW RESPONSE" of the Emergency services ..

Of course, if the Emergency services decide to run over jerks who don't give way and nudge those who can't see the Ambulances .. maybe the Ambulance would have reached faster !!!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 1:55 pm

I'm somewhat reassured that I live in a country that gets this excited over a stabbing / robbery.

It was the only thing under discussion at work... and back home it probably would have been the 3rd since breakfast and nothing deemed worthy if reporting..... (ok, I exagerate a little, but the sentiment is genuine.)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 2:24 pm

brian_singapore wrote:I'm somewhat reassured that I live in a country that gets this excited over a stabbing / robbery.

It was the only thing under discussion at work... and back home it probably would have been the 3rd since breakfast and nothing deemed worthy if reporting..... (ok, I exagerate a little, but the sentiment is genuine.)
And topic of the day, is a father who slapped his son's tormentor !!!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 2:27 pm

Only slapped?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 3:24 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Only slapped?
and got himself arrested !!!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:43 pm

brian_singapore wrote:I'm somewhat reassured that I live in a country that gets this excited over a stabbing / robbery.

Damn, that was close to home, I was walking around there just before that, but didn't hear about it until someone posted it on FB
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 8:40 am

What was also a bit odd was the news paper report that everyone was frozen in shock at first, but soon recovered to start videoing. It should be recovered to offer help to the victim! I was on a local forum and its a worrying trend that a lot of people do not want to get involved, if they see a car accident they will not stop to offer help.

A few local forum post noted that the photo showed two ang moh ladies helping and asked if anyone else would be willing to be covered in a strangers blood... One local even argues they would never offer help as they are not medically trained and may cause further injuries or death and fear being sued.

Maybe in the west people are taught to help others in need, where as here they are taught to mind their own business and don't mess with the karma that the victim brought onto himself?

Elsewhere in the world thankfully a number of people have come to my help. I cant really comment about SG as I have never, thankfully been in a grave situation that required the intervention of a good Samaritan.
Last edited by QRM on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 8:48 am

QRM wrote:What was also a bit odd was the news paper report that everyone was in frozen in shock at first, but soon recovered to start videoing. It should be recovered to offer help to the victim! I was on a local forum and its a worrying trend that a lot of people do not want to get involved, if they see a car accident they will not stop to offer help.

A few local forum post noted that the photo showed two ang moh ladies helping and asked if anyone else would be willing to be covered in a strangers blood... One local even argues they would never offer help as they are not medically trained and may cause further injuries or death and fear being sued.

Maybe in the west people are taught to help others in need, where as here they are taught to mind their own business and don't mess with the karma that the victim brought onto himself?

Elsewhere in the world thankfully a number of people have come to my help. I cant really comment about SG as I have never, thankfully been in a grave situation that required the intervention of a good Samaritan.
Yeah I noticed that as well....

Meanwhile over at TRE they are probably claiming the good Samaritans are STILL Foreign Trash and should be sent home ASAP.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 9:52 am

QRM wrote:A few local forum post noted that the photo showed two ang moh ladies helping and asked if anyone else would be willing to be covered in a strangers blood... One local even argues they would never offer help as they are not medically trained and may cause further injuries or death and fear being sued.
Singapore has the good Samaritan law, and the only reason I would not barge in to help is if the victim was possibly hurt in a road accident or such, where spinal injuries may have occurred.

Then again, helping a stabbing / bleeding victim must be immediate !!! Not much to think there.