Singapore Expats

This week's rant

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: This week's rant

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sun, 16 Nov 2014 4:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, that's what happens once the government has been given a sharp prod that was uncomfortable. Now, virtually everything they are doing seems to be kneejerk reactions without any long term what'if's having been discussed. It's like their think tank either dried up or immigrated.
It was outsourced :lol:

I do agree, though, everything has got far more "kneejerk" in even the past near 10yrs I've been around whilst before there was long reaching plans. The long reaching plans now (MRT, schools, housing, CoE re-quotas) all came too late and as a direct result of constraints ill calculated.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 8:34 am

ScoobyDoes wrote: It was outsourced :lol:

I do agree, though, everything has got far more "kneejerk" in even the past near 10yrs I've been around whilst before there was long reaching plans. The long reaching plans now (MRT, schools, housing, CoE re-quotas) all came too late and as a direct result of constraints ill calculated.
:D

Anyway, I had a very interesting Saturday

I attended a function, graced by a MP.

So the MP is mingling with the crowd and sees a person who is a bit lost, so this MP, who is very easy going and helpful, turns to a youngster with walkie talkie and tells him to help the person

The youngster goes "I don't know how to help .. I am not in charge .. "

I was amused, as to what they teach in schools, is that how you respond to a MP ?

And then the MP asked him to find the person in charge and get help, and then the youngster goes "I don't know who is in charge, I can't help you .. "

Amazed is not the word I could use there . Talk about learning to respect people !!!

Then when I got into a bus later, an Indian looking guy, looking like he had one too many, got in, but refused it sit, despite his sealegs being a bit unsteady, and the driver refused to move the bus until he sat down.

A little argument erupted, and a old lady next to me muttered "foreigners all drunk .. I very scared of foreigner like him ... " .. and kept looking in my direction as other passengers suddenly had their heads buried in their phones/tablets, lest they get involved .. I was the jerk who looked and got eye contact with the old lady !!!

And suddenly the drunk guy arguing with the driver switched to Mandarin, and I turned to the lady near me and asked "wah, the drunk foreigner can speak good Chinese ???? "

I got daggers in response !!! :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:16 pm

My wife witnessed recently this situation: an Indian looking guy was withdrawing some money at the DBS ATM next to CS in Guthrie House when 2 Chinese, older ladies came over and asked him whether he found there some money. The ladies claimed they (must have) left $100 at this very ATM some short time ago. The guy responded, he didn't find anything and then it happened the incredible. They asked this guy to show his bag and pockets and he showed them without any fuss.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:34 pm

Here's the problem. on any given day, I might have 100 dollars.... and this sounds like a scam...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:35 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Here's the problem. on any given day, I might have 100 dollars.... and this sounds like a scam...
Are you suggesting they should've used common sense? That's crazy talk!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:57 pm

nakatago wrote:...they should've used common sense?
:-k [-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 1:14 pm

What kind of did not fit well to this story was one of the ladies saying (in quiet voice) "sorry" before they walked away.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 1:46 pm

nakatago wrote:
brian_singapore wrote:Here's the problem. on any given day, I might have 100 dollars.... and this sounds like a scam...
Are you suggesting they should've used common sense? That's crazy talk!
I think I was suggesting it was a scam Image

But more common sense... if they guy really nicked it, do you really think he'd blush and admit to findong it or just claim he'd already been carrying it...

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 1:47 pm

Damn these android touchscreen phones...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 1:59 pm

brian_singapore wrote: if they guy really nicked it, do you really think he'd blush and admit to findong it or just claim he'd already been carrying it...
There you go...
brian_singapore wrote:Damn these android touchscreen phones...
What is ducking wrong with you? :wink:

On a serious note, install this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... atin&hl=en which has pretty good autocorrect.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 2:17 pm

x9200 wrote:My wife witnessed recently this situation: an Indian looking guy was withdrawing some money at the DBS ATM next to CS in Guthrie House when 2 Chinese, older ladies came over and asked him whether he found there some money. The ladies claimed they (must have) left $100 at this very ATM some short time ago. The guy responded, he didn't find anything and then it happened the incredible. They asked this guy to show his bag and pockets and he showed them without any fuss.
The guy should have stood his ground and told the ladies to call the police !! And I am not going to let anybody see what I have in my bag !!

After all, all ATMs have enough CCTVs

And if you didn't take out the money within a few minutes, the ATM swallows it and keeps it..

Stereotyping at work !!! (the old women I mean .. ) Poor fellow to have been subject to such embarrassment ..

PS, on another note, a friend saw a drunkard left his money in the ATM. My friend grabbed the money, ran after the fellow and gave it. Few days later, the cops traced my friend and called him saying the drunkard accused my friend of having nicked some of the money

True story, and it took a year before the Police cleared my friend's name, and issued a letter accordingly !!!

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 2:36 pm

ecureilx wrote: PS, on another note, a friend saw a drunkard left his money in the ATM. My friend grabbed the money, ran after the fellow and gave it. Few days later, the cops traced my friend and called him saying the drunkard accused my friend of having nicked some of the money

True story, and it took a year before the Police cleared my friend's name, and issued a letter accordingly !!!
So you get charged because you're being a good person? [-X

My oh my...is that in Singapore, by the way?

And also, isn't it possible that your friend to sue the drunkard for having "soiled" his/her good name? What goes around comes around. I would love such good karma...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 3:25 pm

Akimbo wrote:So you get charged because you're being a good person? [-X

My oh my...is that in Singapore, by the way?

And also, isn't it possible that your friend to sue the drunkard for having "soiled" his/her good name? What goes around comes around. I would love such good karma...
Welcome to Singapore !!!

This is the letter he got. Not even a thank you for wasting your time !!

I don't know how far the suing thing will work, though we all suggested he do it !!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 3:26 pm

Ouch. That's hardly an exoneration.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 3:49 pm

ecureilx wrote: Welcome to Singapore !!!

This is the letter he got. Not even a thank you for wasting your time !!

I don't know how far the suing thing will work, though we all suggested he do it !!

Suing the drunkard because of falsely accusing him of theft?
Suing the police for falsely charging him without proper proof (heck, throw in "emotional damage" :roll: )

I just read the other day the guy who slapped the girl in that viral video has now been cleared of the charges, and now suing the city because of arresting him...the article below, I guess.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.2008463
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.