Singapore Expats

Dual Citizenship Baby - MY + SG

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Dual Citizenship Baby - MY + SG

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 8:49 am

Have you confirmed that Article 26A of the Malaysian Constitution does not apply to your child? It appears to.

limkhaijack

Post by limkhaijack » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 9:29 am

BBCWatcher wrote:Have you confirmed that Article 26A of the Malaysian Constitution does not apply to your child? It appears to.

I have googled and read the "Chapter 2 - Termination of Citizenship" of the Constitution of Malaysia, based on my understanding,

the article 26A is the Deprivation of Citizenship by order the malaysia government, which links back to

clause 24 (1) - "If the Federal Government is satisfied that any citizen has acquired by registration, naturalization or other voluntary and formal act (other than marriage) the citizenship of any country outside the Federation, the Federal Government may by order deprive that person of his citizenship.",

and

clause 26(1) - "The Federal Government may by order deprive of his citizenship any citizen by registration or by naturalization if satisfied that the registration or certificate of naturalization—

(a) was obtained by means of fraud, false representation or the concealment of any material fact; or
(b) was effected or granted by mistake."

Yes, i would say it appears to apply to my case, but in any case if the Malaysia government really decide to "remove" my baby girl's Malaysia citizenship by "Deprivation", then i guess there's nothing we can do about it...

i am not good at laws...haha..maybe someone with the expertise can share his/her opinions....

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 10:12 am

I asked because your daughter did not possess her foreign (non-Malaysian) citizenship from birth. She acquired Singaporean citizenship after she was born, so she's in a different situation under Malaysian law compared to children born with multiple citizenships (e.g. a Singaporean mother and a Malaysian father). I don't know the answer either. I'm certainly not an expert on Malaysian nationality law.

Ideally it's best to figure this stuff out before acquiring a new citizenship, if only to understand any impacts on previously born and possible future children. Maybe this thread will help other parents facing similar situations in the future.

Beeflower

Post by Beeflower » Sun, 07 Aug 2016 9:11 am

Hi,

I plan to apply for sg citizenship but need to understand some areas and hope people with similar situation or with relevant knowledge can help me on this. Both my husband and I are Msian SPR including my child who is currently in Msia and will bring her to sg soon for childcare.

1) Understand the max stay for sporean in Msia is 30 days. Is there any way that I can stay more than 30 days (in case need to) like applying Msia long term visit pass (for former Msian if I successfully granted a sg citizenship)?

2) Once my child obtained the new spore passport, which passport should be used when going to Msia-SG? If traveling out from SG-Overseas-SG, should use SG passport?

3) We plan to have another baby, can we apply both Msia and SG passport for the newborn and let the child decide when he/she turns 21yo?

4) Is there any other things I need to consider when apply for SG citizenship?

Thanks and hope to hear from some advices soon :)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 07 Aug 2016 11:10 am

Beeflower wrote:1) Understand the max stay for sporean in Msia is 30 days. Is there any way that I can stay more than 30 days (in case need to) like applying Msia long term visit pass (for former Msian if I successfully granted a sg citizenship)?
There's no special offer, so far as I am aware. You would have to qualify for a Malaysian Long-Term Social Visit Pass under standard criteria. Malaysia's My Second Home (MM2H) program is one possible option, in principle. There's no guarantee of approval. If the right to stay in Malaysia is important, then your Malaysian citizenship is quite valuable at least for that reason.
2) Once my child obtained the new spore passport, which passport should be used when going to Msia-SG? If traveling out from SG-Overseas-SG, should use SG passport?
Singaporean citizens, including your child (hypothetically), must present Singaporean passports to Singaporean passport control (entering and exiting Singapore). If your child continues being a Malaysian citizen then he/she must present a Malaysian passport to Malaysian passport control (entering and exiting Malaysia). For all other countries' passport control checkpoints your child can choose which passport to use. (Or you can choose for your child, more precisely.) However, the same passport should be used for both entry and exit to a particular country.

That's passport control. Airline check-in is different. At airline check-in a dual/multiple citizen should present the passport you'll use to enter the destination country. The carrier always cares about a passenger's ability to enter the destination country. If there is some other issue to resolve, consider presenting the second passport if it would resolve the problem. But I don't recommend throwing two (or more) passports down on the counter per individual as step one.

Of course I'm assuming here that a Malaysian child acquiring Singaporean citizenship can retain Malaysian citizenship. It's not at all clear that's possible under Malaysian citizenship law, but I'm not an expert on Malaysian citizenship law.
3) We plan to have another baby, can we apply both Msia and SG passport for the newborn and let the child decide when he/she turns 21yo?
Only if the child qualifies for both citizenships, which is a bit tricky (per another thread). If both parents become Singaporean then you're not Malaysian, and so another child born thereafter wouldn't be born Malaysian, even if born in Malaysia.

Beeflower

Post by Beeflower » Sun, 07 Aug 2016 3:11 pm

Only if the child qualifies for both citizenships, which is a bit tricky (per another thread). If both parents become Singaporean then you're not Malaysian, and so another child born thereafter wouldn't be born Malaysian, even if born in Malaysia.
Thanks BBCwatcher for your advice. My husband will retain his Msia citizenship for some reasons. Therefore, I wonder if it's possible for the newborn to apply for dual citizenship. Assuming the mother is a sporean and father is a msian at the time when giving birth?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 07 Aug 2016 7:57 pm

In that particular event, dual citizenship seems to be possible at least if the baby is born in Malaysia. If the baby will be born in Singapore, I would ask the Malaysian High Commission.

LHBoon

Post by LHBoon » Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:51 pm

I'm facing the same situation as well.
I have renounced my Malaysian citizenship and obtained Singapore citizenship. And get my marry registration here in Singapore. My wife is SPR. Now we having baby and going to deliver here in Singapore.

We want to take our baby to take care by our mother in KL. So now wondering the methods that we can have our baby to stay in Malaysia for longer period of time.

In my case, as I understand the citizenship for my baby should be Singaporean as deliver in SG. But can we go apply for Malaysia birth certificate as well and get a Malaysia passport for her from the Embassy?
Or we need to apply long term social visit pass for baby? As I have called to Malaysia JPN, it seem not eligible for her to apply. Or is it possible that we can apply for both Singapore and Malaysia passport under my situation?

Hope anyone can share some answers or suggestions. Thank you.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 3:23 am

LHBoon wrote:I'm facing the same situation as well.
I have renounced my Malaysian citizenship and obtained Singapore citizenship. And get my marry registration here in Singapore. My wife is SPR. Now we having baby and going to deliver here in Singapore.

We want to take our baby to take care by our mother in KL. So now wondering the methods that we can have our baby to stay in Malaysia for longer period of time.

In my case, as I understand the citizenship for my baby should be Singaporean as deliver in SG. But can we go apply for Malaysia birth certificate as well and get a Malaysia passport for her from the Embassy?
Or we need to apply long term social visit pass for baby? As I have called to Malaysia JPN, it seem not eligible for her to apply. Or is it possible that we can apply for both Singapore and Malaysia passport under my situation?

I have not been able to find B&W answer to this, but here's my answer to you.

If your wife is Malaysian citizen with SPR, and you as the father is technically a Singaporean citizen, your child will never get Malaysian citizenship, even if you approach the embassy in Singapore to apply. Malaysian government only grants citizenship to a child if the FATHER is the citizen. Unless the child is born in Malaysia.

I am aware that child of parents from different nationalities may have dual citizenship until age 22 (or 18?) and then the child must choose one and renounce the other. But I am unable to find B&W answer for this.

Hope this gives some kind of direction to you.

limkhaijack

Post by limkhaijack » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 3:10 pm

LHBoon wrote:I'm facing the same situation as well.

if you read my previous post, i was Malaysian and so was my baby girl before i gotten my Singapore citizenship approval later..and which my baby girl tagged along to my application...thats how she gotten the dual citizenship...

For your case, i think the best solution is to apply Malaysia PR for your baby, thru the mother who is still Malaysian. Or maybe long term visit pass....

hope it helps...

synkronize

Post by synkronize » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:56 pm

Lurking around on this forum for some answers and I found this thread and felt i needed to write something to the OP of this thread: limkhaijack

Reading your first post, I thought I wrote it because it was exactly like my story, up to the hospital name where your baby was born cos that’s where mine was born :P I also learn something new - that my kiddo will have dual citizenship til 21 then decides. I just got our AIP hence the midnight reading.

starry_knight84

Post by starry_knight84 » Wed, 27 Jun 2018 11:45 am

Hi TS, thanks for sharing your story. Supposed you are having your second child, is it still possible for your second child to apply for both MY and SG citizenship?