Singapore Expats

stamford, dulwich, nexus - any input??

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
momofboys

stamford, dulwich, nexus - any input??

Post by momofboys » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 4:31 pm

Okay, just finished all our school tours. Moving to Singapore from the US next summer with two boys-- going into K1/reception and K2. We liked Stamford for the resources (though maybe a bit too much flash for my personal taste), mandarin immersion program, PYP curriculum, and location (SAS is out due to location and wait list). But have also seen some negative comments from a few years ago on the forum about it growing too fast, etc. Anyone with any more recent experiences? Positive or negative. I know the whole issue already about being for profit and have considered that. But any experience from parents of kids there recently? Any comments other than the for-profit status? Input much appreciated as we have to make a decision soon.

Also considering Dulwich. Liked school for the resources, mandarin, strong curriculum with backing from Dulwich London. But I don't know much about the British National curriculum and the school is really new in Singapore. Will their philosophy of education work for a rambuctuous 5 year old that wants to stay active and moving?

Liked Nexus for its small community and enthusiasm of the staff but concerned about lack of resources.

Thoughts on any of these? Anyone with kids at these schools, particularly in the primary years?

Input much appreciated as we have to make a decision soon!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: stamford, dulwich, nexus - any input??

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 9:47 pm

Stamford and Dulwich are for profit schools. Nexus is a more of a non for profit model. I would choose Nexus.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:04 pm

According to your post from January, Nexus is also for-profit....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?p=675054

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Nov 2014 9:13 am

CaptainBullus wrote:According to your post from January, Nexus is also for-profit....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?p=675054
It's a bit inbetween and not exactly clear but Hanni confirms it's not a privately owned for profit but owned and administered by a trust...(or similar). IT doesn't seem to have the problems some of the FP schools have.

ginger_bread

Post by ginger_bread » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 8:29 pm

Ideally most people would like to send their children to good not-for-profit schools, but the reality is there are not many such schools, and usually there are long waits.

For profit schools are expensive, and may not be value for money, but it does not mean they are necessarily bad.

I did not know Nexus was a not-for-profit school, but anyway I know someone's child who goes there. Class size is small and the child seems happy. However, I think it is not so great academically. For little ones it probably does not matter, but my friend's child is 9 and I think at least some emphasis needs to be put on writing and spelling. From what I saw, either the child is way behind in class or the teachers do not care too much about it.

I know quite a few parents with children at Dulwich. Yes, it is a new school, but from what I heard most parents are at least not unhappy about it. The English curriculum introduces reading and writing early, which is quite different from, say, the German and Scandinavian approach. It can be a little rigid at times, so whether you like it or not is a matter of personal taste.

I don't know much about Stamford American.

momofboys

Post by momofboys » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:33 am

Thank you ginger_bread. Appreciate your feedback on the schools. I was concerned that Dulwich might be too rigid for our boys. I agree, not-for-profit is ideal but that is hard to come by. So appreciate you moving past that point to consider given the situation, what the best options might be.

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:28 pm

My son goes to Stamford and started there last year in KG2.
Overall the school has a lot of rich brats. So lots of the families are just... on a different level then we are.

Last year was great, my son's teacher was fantastic and was able to direct him well. (My kid is pretty high energy).
This year his teacher is terrible. Too hands off. Almost aloof.
The campus is very nice and it's great that our son has access to such great facilities. But damn is it expensive... and it doesn't end with tuition. The bus, lunches, uniforms.

He is learning a lot though. So i don't know that i can recommend it...but i don't recommend against it. If you have the money to burn, then sure. If it wasn't so cost prohibitive to drop and go to another school, we may consider it.

LoveItaly

Post by LoveItaly » Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:48 pm

Nexus should be the last choice of schools. It looks good from the outside well painted. Bright colours used. It's a school that has started only a few years ago, it's more about admissions not the child.Their marketing strategies are good. Eduction is disappointing.
Can't say much about Stamford or Dulwich.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:35 am

LoveItaly wrote:Nexus should be the last choice of schools. It looks good from the outside well painted. Bright colours used. It's a school that has started only a few years ago, it's more about admissions not the child.Their marketing strategies are good. Eduction is disappointing.
Can't say much about Stamford or Dulwich.
Horsepoo - are you in marketing for either of those I wonder?

LoveItaly

Post by LoveItaly » Thu, 15 Jan 2015 8:44 am

Horsepoo(is that your nick name)- I don't think you read fully or understood what I wrote. There were three options,I knew about one so I stated the fact (since my kids had a bad experience there). That is why I wrote that I did not know about the other two since I don't have any experience there. Isn't this forum to give suggestions? Not just say things out of your hat cause you heard some gossip somewhere. You are probably a dimwit to misconstrue my previous post. In what way would that be an advertisement ? Oh yes, in that case there is another point to be noted, there are hoardings on 2 public buses for nexus school, like edvertising for coke or Pepsi.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 15 Jan 2015 5:45 pm

LoveItaly wrote:Horsepoo(is that your nick name)- I don't think you read fully or understood what I wrote. There were three options,I knew about one so I stated the fact (since my kids had a bad experience there). That is why I wrote that I did not know about the other two since I don't have any experience there. Isn't this forum to give suggestions? Not just say things out of your hat cause you heard some gossip somewhere. You are probably a dimwit to misconstrue my previous post. In what way would that be an advertisement ? Oh yes, in that case there is another point to be noted, there are hoardings on 2 public buses for nexus school, like edvertising for coke or Pepsi.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Jan 2015 7:11 pm

LoveItaly wrote:Horsepoo(is that your nick name)- I don't think you read fully or understood what I wrote. There were three options,I knew about one so I stated the fact (since my kids had a bad experience there). That is why I wrote that I did not know about the other two since I don't have any experience there. Isn't this forum to give suggestions? Not just say things out of your hat cause you heard some gossip somewhere. You are probably a dimwit to misconstrue my previous post. In what way would that be an advertisement ? Oh yes, in that case there is another point to be noted, there are hoardings on 2 public buses for nexus school, like edvertising for coke or Pepsi.
LoveItalyPoo; bottom line is all three are in it for the money and it's up to parents to do their diligence on the school... that's where I see parent failing... they get fooled by marketing and next thing you know Juniour can't get into college back home even though the employer has spent literally hundred's of thousands on their education.

LoveItaly

Post by LoveItaly » Thu, 15 Jan 2015 10:48 pm

Horsepoo then loveitalypoo, I love Italy, It's a beautiful country but if you like the poo from there then suit yourself.
This forum is for people to state their queries and give suggestions to the best of their knowledge. If you cannot contribute anything substantial then please don't say anything. All schools have their positives and negatives. Parents decide according to their needs and limitations. When we ask for suggestions we just like to know others experience of those schools so that it is easier to shortlist, not forgetting that we are looking for good education. That is where I felt Nexus was lacking, so I mentioned it.
But 'PNGMK' seems to blow it out of proportion.
If 'PNGMK' can see and think beyond 'poo', it would be great.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:36 pm

LoveItaly wrote:Horsepoo then loveitalypoo, I love Italy, It's a beautiful country but if you like the poo from there then suit yourself.
This forum is for people to state their queries and give suggestions to the best of their knowledge. If you cannot contribute anything substantial then please don't say anything. All schools have their positives and negatives. Parents decide according to their needs and limitations. When we ask for suggestions we just like to know others experience of those schools so that it is easier to shortlist, not forgetting that we are looking for good education. That is where I felt Nexus was lacking, so I mentioned it.
But 'PNGMK' seems to blow it out of proportion.
If 'PNGMK' can see and think beyond 'poo', it would be great.
No worries. I have some exposure to the inside of the system due to external commitments and hence have strong biases against for profit schools (I was educated in a not for profit mission school myself).

Those three schools personally would be at the bottom of my list... but then again the list is not that long in this area anyways. At least the schools exist! (I had friends recruited to a school to teach in China that didn't actually exist in reality!).

robgrice

Post by robgrice » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:36 pm

We have two boys at Nexus and they are thriving. Excellent teaching, caring atmosphere, great community, not too big. We are from the UK and have been here nearly 2 years. I have found no problem at all with standard of maths/english in comparison to UK curriculum standards (and I am very familiar with these). Nexus are also very responsive to any suggestions and are happy to communicate with parents and get them involved.

I can only comment from my own experience but I am completely satisfied with Nexus and consistently delighted by how they embrace new technologies and encourage our children to enquire and think about their own learning. Our children are becoming much more independent as a result. I suppose it would be different if we were looking for an exam factory where children are taught by rote. Nexus is not that kind of school.

Swimming and team sports are also developing each year - my children have had the opportunity to compete in soccer, swimming, tae kwon do and cricket so far and are taking up athletics next season. And they are not even in Year 5 yet!
Rob Grice - London UK expat. Family new to Singapore (arrived 1st Aug 2013).